Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

About Russian influence in Mongolian cult

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: About Russian influence in Mongolian cult
    Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 12:03

One of my best friend visited the capital of Mongolia, he returned and told me that Russia exerted heavy influence on Mongolian culture.

Can someone here give me the detail? Thx!

Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Eternal biggest enemy of Rome.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 12:04
money, posters, ugly apartment complexes and political structures.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 12:09
IIRC Mongolian also use Cyrillic characters nowadays
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 14:55

IIRC Mongolian also use Cyrillic characters nowadays

That's such a shame I always thought that the mongolian alphabet was very beautiful.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 08:05

Thank you all... a bit abstract...

(1)money,        Tob odai, you mean ruble are welcome in Mongolia?
(2)posters,       ?
(3)ugly apartment complexes  ?
and
(4)political structures       I get it
(5)Cyrillic characters        My god!!

Mongols in China still use this alphbet system.

Edited by hannibal
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Eternal biggest enemy of Rome.
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 10:38
Only outermongolians use the Cyrillics, most mongols still use the old writing.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 20:27
Originally posted by hannibal

Thank you all... a bit abstract...

(1)money,        Tob odai, you mean ruble are welcome in Mongolia?
(2)posters,       ?
(3)ugly apartment complexes  ?
and
(4)political structures       I get it
(5)Cyrillic characters        My god!!

Mongols in China still use this alphbet system.

No I didnt mean they use the ruble, I mean their money has that post communist visual flair.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 13:16
Uigur script is still taught in Mongolia even during communism it was taught in secondary schools. Also Mongols in Russia use cyrillic and I don't know what alphabet Khazara Mongols use in Afganistan. 
Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Chono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 14:53

Well as someone who grew up in one of those ugly apartment complexes I could shed some light. Russians did influence our country heavily. We had a KGB installed brain-washed politburo chief for 40 years, who with his russian wife unseccesfully led us to the bright communist future alongside the big brother (that's literally how we dub russians even now). After killing all the educated people in the 30s the soviets sent armies of young mongolians to Russia to get "proper" education. So we get exactly two soviet educated generations. A quarter of all soviet citizens who worked outside of USSR did so in Mongolia, as "instructors" or as a support for the 5th Soviet army stationed here. Mongolia was called the 16th soviet republic, russians had a saying "chicken are not bird, mongolia is not abroad". But fortunately now they're gone. Left behind the soviet style architecture, the cyrillic alphabet, memories of stalinist purges along with some sort of nostalgia among 40-50 year old people. And now,

1. Money... is in big demand!

2. Posters - neon lights haven't quite reached us yet.

3. Ugly buildings - we still love'em, so they'll probly be tore down by our children, not us. Currently there's a construction boom in Mongolia, most buildings seem to be chinese-inspired, construction companies mostly employ chinese.

4. Political structure - now radically differs from the russian. We've got a real democracy going on, since we've got no other choice . But the taste is good so we'll probly stick with it.

5. Cyrillic alphabet - is still being used. It would cost us too much to change the script like in the 40s, especially with the current horizontal latin-driven communication technologies. But if the cost problem is solved, we'd change back in an instant. The classical script is being taught from the third grade in secondary schools to the fourth semester in sanctioned colleges, so most younger people easily wield it, older ones rarely.

I guess right now the russian influence is dying out. Moscow is viewed negatively. The russian language is uncool.  You can find more germans in the capital than russians. But in polls about the most trustworthy, favorite country Russia still leads, with Japan, US and Korea close behind. And there's of course the mongol minorities in Russia.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 05:50

I am a 14 year old australian boy and i was lucky enough to go to mongolia only 3 months ago and i believe that the russians certainly did alot of damage to the mongolian culture and relics and it was sad to see that the mongolian writing that was in use less than 100 years ago is now totally out of the system.

one thing that i found with the mongolians is that they are almost 50% asian and 50% russian influenced. the way they pray and the dedication is very asian but the surroundings and the products are all russian.

what i guess i am saying is that while the russians created another russia in its looks and everything like that but the mongol way of life is still there.

off that i loved mongolia and would like to keep in contact with somebody who lives in ulanbatoor.

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 08:40

Okay, here is what happened...

in the 1970's or something, the communist mongol regime wanted to "modernize" and starting immitaing everything USSR did....

but

unfortunately in these days, they now want to learn more about their past..but because they lost so much from trying to become USSR, they said that it would take at least 100 years to recover what they lost

Grrr..
Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Chono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 09:47
Don't worry people, apart from ugly buildings not much russian influence is left. I don't think we "lost so much", the language is there, the culture is there, what else do you need? Every asian nation has lost something because of exposure to western culture.
Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Chono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2004 at 16:32
 well, welcome to the Horde.
maersk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote maersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 21:32

influence goes both ways,, the mongols had their shot at russia back in the 1200's...hehehe 

theres an old saying... "prick a russian and he bleeds mongol blood"

(from when the mongols where "busy" with russian women during the conquest)

"behold, vajik, khan of the magyars, scourge of the pannonian plain!"
maersk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote maersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 21:33
and the mongol script looks alot like egyptian hieroglyphics when you look at it long enough.
Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Chono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 04:22
No it looks like latin. maersk, what kind of mongol are you?
maersk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote maersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 12:11

im of the franco-gallic tribe of mongols

Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 17:43
It dosn't resemble hyrogliphics at all... It looks rather like a combination of Greek Alphabet and Arabic.
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 14:10

Originally posted by Chono

Don't worry people, apart from ugly buildings not much russian influence is left.
There's also masses of 469's and the Furgons. And of course there are all those russian loanwords. What I find strange is when German or English 'h'  is made to 'g', like in Galstuk or the four evil G's of Nazi Germany.

P.S. And I think all of the cities have some soviet-style monument on the main square. I was especially fond of the tank in UB. Wondered what his connection to Mongolia was (was he part of the 'Revolutionary Mongolia' unit?)

Edited by yan.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 14:22

Originally posted by maersk

and the mongol script looks alot like egyptian hieroglyphics when you look at it long enough.

In fact, Mongolian script looks like Sogdian because the Uighur Turkish alphabet was derived from Soghdian, and Mongols use this as the official alphabet.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>