Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did Jesus Christ really exist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did Jesus Christ really exist?
    Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 19:09

No one has the slightest physical evidence to support a historical Jesus; no artifacts, dwelling, works of carpentry, or self-written manuscripts. All claims about Jesus derive from writings of other people. There occurs no contemporary Roman record that shows Pontius Pilate executing a man named Jesus. Devastating to historians, there occurs not a single contemporary writing that mentions Jesus. All documents about Jesus got written well after the life of the alleged Jesus from either: unknown authors, people who had never met an earthly Jesus, or from fraudulent, mythical or allegorical writings. Although one can argue that many of these writings come from fraud or interpolations, I will use the information and dates to show that even if these sources did not come from interpolations, they could still not serve as reliable evidence for a historical Jesus, simply because all sources derive from hearsay accounts.

http://www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Cassivellaunus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Cassivellaunus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 19:22

Seeing as how 'Jesus' was one of the most common names used in that particular area and time, I'm sure there was at least one with the last name 'Christ'.

The chances of him also being the son of God are considerably lower though. I suppose the Christians took a shot in the dark with that one...

"Why do you cower in your trenches, men? They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
- Last words of General John Sedgewick
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 22:40
I have always thought that humans lack the creativity to come up with things without an inspiration, which is often weather or preaching kook related.  I think its very likely that Jesus existed, and he was probably something like a David Koresh with a hodge podge of post mortem writers who exxagerated and made things up.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 05:52
Originally posted by Paul

No one has the slightest physical evidence to support a historical Jesus; no artifacts, dwelling, works of carpentry, or self-written manuscripts. All claims about Jesus derive from writings of other people. There occurs no contemporary Roman record that shows Pontius Pilate executing a man named Jesus. Devastating to historians, there occurs not a single contemporary writing that mentions Jesus. All documents about Jesus got written well after the life of the alleged Jesus from either: unknown authors, people who had never met an earthly Jesus, or from fraudulent, mythical or allegorical writings. Although one can argue that many of these writings come from fraud or interpolations, I will use the information and dates to show that even if these sources did not come from interpolations, they could still not serve as reliable evidence for a historical Jesus, simply because all sources derive from hearsay accounts.

http://www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm

jesus(isa)has been proven to exist,there are writings that prove that he,his wife and kids,and his FATHER existed

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 08:36
I think that the history of sects, their dynamics of origin and growth, show that in all probability there was a historic person on which the highly idealised figure of Jesus Christ was based.
Religious sects usually have their origin in the teaching of one leader, and usually later romanticise the figure and usually to an extent that would make the original unrecognisable.

Although there was in all possibility a figure like Jesus, I doubt if any of his words or deeds that are recorded in the New Testament bear any great resemblance to the actual events. The New Testament was in its conception a propaganda tool, spreading the message of a new sect through Jewish and gentile culture. That does not necessarily mean that the original teaching was falsified, just modified and packaged and sold to the public.

The Christian sect was in the beginning only one of many Jewish sects, their leader was only one of many that either claimed themselves or were claimed to be the "Messiah", the potential political and spiritual leader of a renewed Jewish society that would liberate itself from oppression, both domestic and foreign.
During the time of Roman occupation, Messiahs popped up in every village of Judaea, and Gallilea , claiming to be chosen one, the son of God, and our Jesus was possibly of such little significance to both the Roman and Jewish authorities that he wasnt worth mentioning in any records.

The far greater mystery is, why especially this tiny sect succeeded where others failed, and spread around the Roman Empire in such little time with such rapid growth.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 09:24
Originally posted by Cassivellaunus

Seeing as how 'Jesus' was one of the most common names used in that particular area and time, I'm sure there was at least one with the last name 'Christ'.

The chances of him also being the son of God are considerably lower though. I suppose the Christians took a shot in the dark with that one...

Christ is a Greek term meaning "Messiah". Contrary to what people think, the term would have never been attached to Jesus during his lifetime, but rather it was a term conferred upon him a century after his death.

The key of the issue, I think, is the Messiah appelation. If one reads the Bible carefully, it appears that Jesus went to great lengths to appear as the Messiah that had been profesised to deliver the Jews from the Roman occupation. Such as him riding "triumphantly" into Jerusalem on a donkey: according to the Old Testament, that's how the Messiah was supposed to appear. Now, the funny thing is that the Messiah is supposed to be a very warlike figure, not a man with a message of peace. Also, did anyone ever notice that Jesus never once refers to himself as the only son of God? There's plenty of "son of Man", and referring to God as humanity's father, but not specifically of Jesus saying that he is the only son of God.

I think that Jesus intended to be the Messiah, was caught by the Romans and executed as a rebel. His story was then taken by Paul of Tarsus, and modified to suit Paul's needs. The reason why there's no outside records of Jesus is probably because Paul altered his story beyond recognition.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 11:31

Originally posted by aknc

jesus(isa)has been proven to exist,there are writings that prove that he,his wife and kids,and his FATHER existed

What writings are these, could yu post a link?

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 17:24

I'll try,i could be wrong though because i read in in a book a long time ago,and when i try to do a search about it it's all christian propoganda that shows up

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 19:00
http://www.thebeastmovie.com/   do you think this will be the answer? 

Jesus666 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Jesus666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 22:21

Why did it take so long to write about Jesus Christ after his death?

-Jesus
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 04:47
Because they had a hard time configuring his story

Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 06:01
Originally posted by Paul

No one has the slightest physical evidence to support a historical Jesus; no artifacts, dwelling, works of carpentry, or self-written manuscripts. All claims about Jesus derive from writings of other people.

I think everybody accept that Plato existed. No double standard between philosophy and religion.
In fact is a double standard between mind and heart.

Edited by Richard XIII
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 09:36

Originally posted by Richard XIII

I think everybody accept that Plato existed. No double standard between philosophy and religion.

There's a major difference here: whether Plato or not existed, it is only his message, his ideas that matter. In the case of Jesus, the person matters just as much as the message, since he is supposed to be the son of God, and his message therefore would become irrefutable . His existence therefore, becomes crucial to the message. Without him really existing, Christianity would be just another philosophy.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 10:02
Originally posted by Richard XIII

Plato left first hand texts and the site of the academy, solid physical evidence. That's the point about Jesus he left no physical evidence or first hand texts.

Originally posted by Decebal

There's a major difference here: whether Plato or not existed, it is only his message, his ideas that matter. In the case of Jesus, the person matters just as much as the message, since he is supposed to be the son of God, and his message therefore would become irrefutable . His existence therefore, becomes crucial to the message. Without him really existing, Christianity would be just another philosophy.

Surely just another religion or cult..... Not philosophy. It would be an irrational belief system with no validation.

Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 10:23
If you have any "solid physical evidence" about Plato let me see. 
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 10:25
Hanno and Pytheas didn't leave any physical evidence or first-hand writings, either, and we only have vague accounts of where they went, but nobody doubts they existed, or that their expeditions took place.
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 13:31
Originally posted by Decebal

In the case of Jesus, the person matters just as much as the message, since he is supposed to be the son of God, and his message therefore would become irrefutable . His existence therefore, becomes crucial to the message. Without him really existing, Christianity would be just another philosophy.

If Jesus did not exist, then the Christian myth is just that. However, if Jesus did exist, that says nothing one way or another about the truth of the myth. The important issue is not whether Jesus existed, but whether the Christ existed (and, for that matter, still exists).

Even whether Jesus taught what he is supposed to have taught is not terribly important. The issue is whether and why anyone should pay any attention to what he is supposed to have taught.

Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 16:14
Geez. I just saw that "The Beast" movie trailer and I have just come to a conclusion. I really, truly, geniunely, sincerely dislike atheists. Are they so depressed with the logic they created for themselves that they desire to spread their logic so that everyone else is depressed as well? There's no point to it. If you do not believe in religion, there is no reason to go out and destroy what everyone else believes in, just because you *think* you have figured everything out. Why not spend more time being an atheist rather than forcing your view upon other people.

Unfortunately, a brilliant and factual counterpoint to this would be that men of religion did this as well.

I think most people misunderstand religion. Religion is faith, belief. I do not question if God exists because I believe that he is real. I have faith in his existence. That is my justification for worshipping him. It is a shame that most of the time, witnessing proof is the only way to get a person to believe. Anyway, that is my logic. Believe it only if you want, I am not going to force you to.

Responses, please.
charles brough View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote charles brough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 17:47

You raise a good point as to why we who are atheists like to depress and criticize the beliefs of "true believers."  Let me see if I can answer that. 

1.  We need to go after unscientific beliefs because secular science is the only common thing people believe across the globe.  Take it away and the world is left divided into four huge hate groups, groups which are dedicated to the elimination of the other: Christianity, Hinduism, Islam and Asian Marxism.  All four would become locked in combat over our diminishing world resources.  Our common belief in science-secular ideals across the globe are all that now prevents that from happening. 

2.  We atheists have little in common other than our non-belief.  It is almost the only thing that unites us.  Our secular ideals are being torn apart and our science education is being creationized and Intelligent Design idiotized.  You Christians like to picture yourselves as martyrs, but we atheists have only one forum and that is internet.   We are locked out of the newspapers, tV, radio and magazines.  We cannot even pay for ads. 

3.  We consider relieving others of the burden of trying to accept non-science on faith as being uplifting for both them and us, not depressing.  If dealing with us is depressing to you it is because you are ineffective in your responses.  We fill you with self-doubt and make it harder for you to keep all that dogma on faith.  We remind you that you did have a science education and that you have turned your back on it even though you like to think you haven't.

Personally, I believe there is an alternative to all this.  To have to choose science-secular in a society dominated by hedonism, gambling, addictions, obesity, corporate fraud, immodesty in dress and crime and violence, we should be turning to a system of belief which is far more moral than archaic Christian dogma.  What can we say of a Bible that has commands in it allowing slaves and which has nothing against rape, kidnapping, extortion, bribery, sewing mines, spreading fatal diseases and torture? 

There is an alternative . . .

charles,  http://humanpurpose.simplenet.com

charles brough View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote charles brough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 17:56
Originally posted by Cassivellaunus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>