Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bush open to German UN council seat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bush open to German UN council seat
    Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 13:44
source:http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050627/pl_afp/usungerma nybush_050627165734

WASHINGTON (AFP) - US     President George W. Bush left open the possibility that Germany could get a permanent UN Security Council seat, saying "we oppose no country" in their efforts to join that body.

"We oppose no country's bid for the Security Council," Bush said as he met at the White House with German Chancellor     Gerhard Schroeder, who has pushed for his country to join the exclusive group of veto-wielding permanent members.

"I was very pleased, indeed, to hear that there was no opposition, vis-a-vis Germany as such, from the president," Schroeder said through an interpreter.

The United States has laid out a proposal to add countries to the Security Council as part of a UN reform package, but has only endorsed Japan's push to join the United States, Russia, China, France and Britain as a permanent member.

Schroeder said that he had pleaded Berlin's case for a permanent seat to Bush by linking Germany's contribution to stabilization efforts in     Afghanistan and the Balkans and to reconstruction efforts in     Iraq.

"Since we're doing all these things internationally, we would very much hope that at some point in time we could also have a right to representation on the Security Council if there were the space," he said.

"I said very much we're doing lots of things and hopefully we'll be involved in deciding things as well," said the chancellor, who downplayed the rift between Berlin and Washington on the issue.

"If you ask me about whether I see differences, and I'd possibly say there are differences in the timing; we were pushing to have things happening very quickly," he said.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 04:00

In the event of the exclusion of France from the seat,It would be nice to see deutschland instead of france.

IMO germany deserves that seat more than france.

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2005 at 13:20
Good.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2005 at 13:23
Germany does deserve it more than France.  Good for Germany and Mr. Pres!
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2005 at 16:13
Originally posted by Thegeneral

Germany does deserve it more than France. Good for Germany and Mr. Pres!

Oh, the good old times!

When we were divided and banished from the community of nations! When we didn't have to get involved in global politics and nobody asked us for help to invade other countries! When we could concentrate on making lots of money and on beating everybody else at football!
Look what the reunification has brought upon us, our economy has gone down the drain, our team hasn't won a single World Cup since 1990, and now Bush offers us a place in his beloved UN security council.

Somebody please put the wall up again!
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2005 at 16:42
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2005 at 22:00

Perhaps it's time all the jaded old hacks hacks on the council were retired and we replaced them with some more deserving nations. What would be a good idea for a new look council?

I'll go for Canada, New Zealand, Japan, Singapore, Ireland and Costa Rica.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2005 at 22:01
Originally posted by Paul

Perhaps it's time all the jaded old hacks hacks on the council were retired and we replaced them with some more deserving nations. What would be a good idea for a new look council?

I'll go for Canada, New Zealand, Singapore, Ireland and Costa Rica.

That way each continent is represented.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2005 at 23:15

Hmm the US offers this seat to Germany and people talk of it superseding the French...

How many Americans have died becuase of France? How many Americans have died because of Germany?  How many panzers can compare to modern government?

I think no former axis power should ever be allowed a permanent seat, so that they can be forever reminded of who started the crisis that necessitated the need for the UN in the first place.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 12:42
Originally posted by Tobodai

I think no former axis power should ever be allowed a permanent seat, so that they can be forever reminded of who started the crisis that necessitated the need for the UN in the first place.

Why only the axis powers?
What justification is there for the Allies left to have a permanent seat?
WW2 is over for sixty years and most of its legacies have become obsolete. There is no real justification for a permanent membership other than to be an additional tool for the world's existing and former super powers to dictate their will on the rest of the globe.
I think permanent membership in the UN security council should be abolished altogether, and replaced with a rotation system that allows for a more balanced representation of the worlds nations.
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 13:34

I do agree with Kommenos.
The WWII ended 60 years ago.
Why the super powers as US, England, France, Russia and China can have nuclear capacity, but they worry if any other country will pursue to have nuclear weapons too ?

The Security Council should be open to Germany and Japan as well. At least they have no been involved directly in conflicts over the past 60 years.

Regards
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 13:48
Well certainly getting rid of permanent seats would be the best option, but if they dont then it should remain an exclusive club.  That way the agitation to remove permanent seating will increase and they will get rid of it sooner.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply