Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Turkey secular today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Is Turkey a secular republic or muslim republic?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [87.10%]
4 [12.90%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Midas View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Turkey secular today?
    Posted: 25-Jun-2005 at 12:22

I just want to know what muslim world thinks about us...

Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 04:52

at the middle of the two

but I voted for secular

HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 12:30

Look dude , this is wrong. Islam is most of our holy religion.

Lets change the second option to Non-secular.

And off course Turkey is secular. And most people are muslim. And will be better in the future.

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 03:08

Agreed with Hulagu,

The poll options is wrong. The option should be

Secular / Islamic State.

Turks are muslims but their state is secular.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 14:19

Well here is the perception tht we have on Turkey...

A secular country....

Most of my friends share the same opinion...

baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 16:57
Of course secular, although sometimes politicians 'fake-it' towards islam.. but thats just one big fantasy, as most people know and trust the oldest institution that still exists and is considered a traditional continueation from the ottomans, seljuks.. will never ever let such a thing even to be considered.

Just out of interest, why call turkey a muslim state/country at all? I seriously doubt that the amount of serious muslims in the country, will ever exceed 10-15% of the population.(p.s. by that I mean people who do everything by-the-book, including praying and so on plus who's age is within limits 18-50)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 17:02
Just out of interest, why call turkey a muslim state/country at all? I seriously doubt that the amount of serious muslims in the country, will ever exceed 10-15% of the population.

I agree, but from that point of view, there are very few Christian countries in the world.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 17:12

what is serious muslim?

(p.s. by that I mean people who do everything by-the-book, including praying and so on plus who's age is within limits 18-50)

do you think people who is not doing these are not serious muslim? do you think they dont care islam? or do you think, they will like what you said about them?

This is complately absurd. I dont think you are God who can decide what is serious muslim and this majority is not 15%

Maybe you dont like to call Turkey as a muslim country, but majority of people prefer it.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 17:24
I think he was referring to religious people.

And yes, there are many people who don't care about Islam or anything about religion, whose identities include "Religion: Islam" part. Who are you to decide who are the majority?

And please don't be offended so easily. As he mentioned, he asked it out of curiosity.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 17:25
From what I have read yes it is but I really do not know much about Turkish politics.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2005 at 05:53
With no doubt secular country but I think turkish people are proud of their religion then I can called it secular/ muslim country.
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2005 at 05:56
Secular.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 03:38

pah acording to bogazii Univercity(one of turkey best univercity)

49 of Turks do praying daily(namaz), and 91 of Turk do fasting at ramadan.

Infact I didnt know Alevis are also fasting at ramadan.

is this enough majority ?

ah and 15% of Turk want islamic law for their personal life. so even Turks are religious, they support secularism.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 05:12

Most of the poeple are proud Muslims but the government{like many, if not all} is not!

Anyway, I voted Muslim...

Edited by 1001nights
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 14:08

I've never been to Turkey, though I wish someday I will, inshallah, but my perception is that it is a modernizing country with secular institutions, with no state religion but in which most of its people happen to be muslims.

I'm very into Ottoman history and islamic history in general. I must say that my opinion of Turkey is a little biased. I have have a very good idea about it but I could be wrong.

Perhaps only living there one could tell.

Edited by Infidel
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 16:27
care to elobrate? biased as in what?
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 11:41
And please mention the country you are living in.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 14:11

if youre asking infidel, he's from Portugal.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 14:18
Turkey is indeed a secular state,with Islamists taking a foothold only the last years.It's mainly a nationalistic rather than an Islamic one.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 06:00
Secular (more secular than many European countries)
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>