Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where the Republic of Turkeys flag came from?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Midas View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where the Republic of Turkeys flag came from?
    Posted: 25-Jun-2005 at 05:27
I read that Turkish flag had taken from Byzantines; and they took it from older Anatolian Civilizations... What is the real story of that flag?
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2005 at 11:59
This is a Steppe question. it did not come from any of those...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2005 at 15:11

Originally posted by Iskender Bey ALBO

This is a Steppe question. it did not come from any of those...

Exactly right...

BirTane View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BirTane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 21:20
Midas the half moon was one of the important sympols of the Byzantines.
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 21:25

Crescent is definetely the symbol of Diana (Artemis, goddess of moon)

Star with 8 corners is a symbol of Holy Marie.

But some claim it was also a Middle Asian symbol.

Are there any significant middle asian historians mentioning this? I have never met one, but Oguzoglu might have. Lets leave the discussion to him. He has some nice inventory of middle asian knowledge...

HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 21:25
BTW, BirTane has a meaning like Only one in Turkish. Does that have a meaning in Greek too? Strange.
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 23:17
there are differences between the turkish moon's and the stars used than other symbols used by other people...

so I can fantasize here that its the inverse deleted version of the japanese flag.. it will be as true as the byzantine version you guys/gals are talking about..

Edited by baracuda
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2005 at 07:06

Originally posted by HulaguHan

BTW, BirTane has a meaning like Only one in Turkish. Does that have a meaning in Greek too? Strange.

nah,she can speak a little turkish

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2005 at 10:11
Well according to allaboutturkey.com HulaguHan's 'version' is actually the most probable one.

Historical facts:
"Red has been prominent in Turkish flags for 700 years. The star and crescent are Muslim symbols, but also have a long pre-Islamic past in Asia Minor. The basic form of the national flag was apparently established in 1793 under Ottoman Sultan Selim III, when the green flags used by the navy were changed to red and a white crescent and multi-pointed star were added. The five-pointed star dates from approximately 1844. Except for the issuance of design specifications, no change was made when the Ottoman Empire became the Republic of Turkey and the Caliphate (religious authority) was terminated by Ataturk. Many traditions explain the star and crescent symbol. It is known that Diana (Artemis) was the patron goddess of Byzantium and that her symbol was a moon. In 330, the Emperor Constantine rededicated the city - which he called Constantinople (todays Istanbul) - to the Virgin Mary, whose star symbol was superimposed over the crescent. In 1453 Constantinople (Istanbul) was captured by the Ottoman Turks and renamed Istanbul, but its new rulers may have adopted the existing emblem for their own use"

Legends:
"A reflection of the moon occulting a star, appearing in pools of blood after the battle of Kosovo in 1448, the battle during which the Ottomans defeated the Christian forces and established the Ottoman Empire in Eastern Europe until the end of the 19th century, led to the adoption of the Turkish flag by Sultan Murad II according to one legend. Others refer to a dream of the first Ottoman Sultan in which a crescent and star appeared from his chest and expanded, presaging the dynasty's seizure of Constantinople (Istanbul). There are other legends explaining the flag."

http://www.allaboutturkey.com/flag.htm
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2005 at 03:44

Ottomans never renamed Konstantiniyye. 

It was Ataturk, and his postal laws which renamed the city.

ONw major thing Ataturk pissed of was monarchy and everything related to it. That name had an emperor name.

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2005 at 17:33
HulaguHan

You're correct about a much later introduction of the name Istanbul actually it wasn't untill March 28. 1930 that it was officially changed.
Not sure if this is what you wanted to point out but it was the Ottomans that introduced the more Turkish form of the city's name "Konstantiniyye" (city of Constantine) you wrote.

The name Istanbul derives from the Hellinic phrase " / Eis tin Poli", the foreign citizens of the city understood the phrase as "Stabulin" which is why we find documents with both names on them.
(here's a 1921 envelope)

We know of maps that refer to the city as Constandinopoli as some sources say well into the 1960's, so it seems that the new name took some time to be adopted.

Here are some documents with the name Constantinopoli but couldn't find anything older than the 1920's:

1911, "De Paris à Constantinople, les Guides Bleus" Hachette
http://www.trainsofturkey.com/maps/Constantinople_1911_L.jpg

"Plan du réseau, Société des Tramways de Constantinople"
http://www.trainsofturkey.com/maps/istanbul_tram11.jpg

Constantinople postcards 1910
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/curioshop/item/col8166

Censored Postcard Constantinople to Vienna.1917:
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/curioshop/item/col6149

1917: Old Turkey: Attractive Postcard of two Muslims
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/curioshop/item/col7120

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 02:35

Hulagu han has an interesting habit of speaking what he believes as to be the truth. And he has the habit to accept if he is wrong.

I am not blinded by fanatism dude.

Yes, Istanbul is a new name, the republican name of the city. And as a KEMALIST, I call the city always Istanbul. Imperial days are over, now it is time to have some democracy and republic.

HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 02:39

Now guys, please understand our concern, we republican Kemalist Turks do not like Imperial names, so that changed the name.

It had no offence against Greeks.

Even if it was named after some Emperor named Mustafa, Mustafapolis , Kemal Ataturk would change it.

You should find Cankaya from Falih Rifki Atay and see how he is against Monarch and Konstantiniyye. He hates it to death...

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 08:47

Konstantiniyye was the official name of the city but stanbul was the popular name of it. Also it has ethimologically Greek roots, but it wasn't invented in the republican era. Itwas also used long before.

Anyway, in a book of Sunay Akn, I read that in the late Ottoman times a contest was organised to explain the form of the Turkish flag in a poetic way. He reports one very interesting example: One poet told that once there was a very beautiful and red cheeked Turkish girl. She was so beautiful that the night sky couldn't help kissing her on the cheek... Very nice story!...

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 11:10

Also it has ethimologically Greek roots, but it wasn't invented in the republican era. Itwas also used long before.

But its original roots are totally Roman, just the language is Greek...

Why would Ataturk offense Greeks? He even denied to step on Greek flags. And changing the name of the city into Istanbul cannot be against Greeks, but Romans. Because there is no Roman nation left in the world now, it wasnt disrespectful to anyone.

And the name Istanbul was invented by Topkapi and elite people. It is a Turkish word derived by Persian originated words. It means "landbridge"...

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 20:43
Originally posted by HulaguHan

]  It had no offence against Greeks.

I never said anything about it being offencive towards anyone. I simply agreed with your post and actually supported it with available facts.
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

]But its original roots are totally Roman, just the language is Greek...

And the name Istanbul was invented by Topkapi and elite people. It is a Turkish word derived by Persian originated words. It means "landbridge"...

Care to clarify which roots are "totally Roman"???

Where did you get the "landbridge" version, Polat Kaya,
well, seriously where??

I've found a number of references to the Persian name 'Dersaadet' = "Door to ultimate happiness"
The Arabs "Farrouk" ="city among 2 continents" (or something like that)
and one that mentions an Ottoman version, "Islambul" = "where Islam abounds"

I even found one that suggests "conSTANtinoPLE that gives = STAN' P' L and that gives Istanbul. (but it's obviously far from the real thing)

The correct origin is definitely from " "

Edited by Phallanx
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 09:07

No it isnt. Ataturk wouldnt let people to call it with a misunderstood Byzanthine word.

"Istan" means land, like we say "Yunanistan", means Greek/Ionianland. "bul" means bridge like in Kabul. I heard it both from some Istanbulites and from a couple of Iranian forumers here.

And BTW, no, Polat Kaya didnt say this, also I dont recommend all his works, he is a good historican but lots of times his works sound nonsense and funny. I have just copy pasted and supported two of his works, one about Northern American natives, the other about Scythians.

Edited by Oguzoglu
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 09:33

Oguzolu wrote:

"Istan" means land, like we say "Yunanistan", means Greek/Ionianland. "bul" means bridge like in Kabul. I heard it both from some Istanbulites and from a couple of Iranian forumers here.

Sorry  Oguzoglu but this theory isn't reliable because istan is a suffix, not prefix. The word Istanbul seems to have Greek origins but it's not a problem because it's the name of our beloved city and we love it very much together with its history...
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 09:52

Originally posted by kotumeyil

The word Istanbul seems to have Greek origins but it's not a problem because it's the name of our beloved city and we love it very much together with its history...

An excellent and well respected reply!

I won't comment on Oguzoglu's "theory", just search for "istanbul + etymology" in Google....

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 10:05
Anything online that would support this new theory????

I did a simple task, I put the words Istan and bul in a couple of online translator the meanings I found are quite different to yours:

Istan: It is from the soot

bul : It finds it

www.1-800-translate.com
www.cs.bilkent.edu.tr (gives no meaning for Istan but agree's on bul)

Those were the only two I found that gave any meaning to these two words.

Oh, Polat Kaya, isn't a historian nor a linguist. He studied Electrical engeneering and does his research as a hobby.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>