Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best General Of WW2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Who ruled history then?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [54.76%]
2 [4.76%]
10 [23.81%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [7.14%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [7.14%]
1 [2.38%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best General Of WW2
    Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 06:29
There is a Nazi General called Maximillian Freiherr von Weichs (spelling?) who looks almost identical to Donald Rumsfeld...
Shifty Russian View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Shifty Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 20:46

I think the concensus (sp) Rommel is the best... and he gets my vote too.

I just don't think he had a chance in Normandy - and he knew it him self.

I'm Shifty Russian, Suka
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 07:14

Best allied general, William Slim. Only Zhukov comes close.

Best Axis general, Heinz Guderian.

Why aren't they options on the poll?

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
SJI Lasallian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote SJI Lasallian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 20:59
I go for Zhukov definitely...
"I adore in all things the will of God in my regard" -- Saint John Baptist De la Salle (final words)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2004 at 09:56
I support Paul .Gen Slim despite his victories is the most underrated on Allied side
On German i will put gen . Hube (hero of Stalingrad,Succesfully conducted German operations in Sycyli against Patton and Montgomery. Succesfull comander of 1 Panzer Army during the time of "walking cauldrons"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 07:49

1.) Erich von Manstein

2.) Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

3.) Karl Rudolf Gerd von Rundstedt

Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 11:21

Allied: Patton, hands down.

Axis: Rommel, he only lost the Atlantic Wall because of Hitler's interference.

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 17:46

Ah, what the heck! I voted Rommel.

What about the Japanese? Didn't they have generals?

Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2004 at 12:41

I don't think any commander could command and organize troops on the move like George S. Patton.  In a fluid battlefield situation he was unmatched as he demonstrated in his counterattack in the battle of the bulge when he took his already heavily engaged army, disengaged, tilted his axis of advance 90 degrees to push northwards into one of the worst blizzards in recent European history to attack the German flank in only a few days.  The most stunning part is how he managed to shift his logistics northwards in order to supply his an entire army, the organization of it is almost unthinkable.  In fact when Patton suggested his plan the other allied generals laughed thinking it was impossible.

Edited by Laelius
Slickmeister View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Slickmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 19:41

Heinz Guderian I would say was well up there. He knew how to get the job done

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 18:18
Rommel is indeed one of the keyes why the german forces were so tough and great....or atleast i think so
Sudaka View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Sudaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 02:03

Guderian couse german blitzkrieg is his signature

Manstein: the best, see counterattack at jarkov

Heinrici , the only german mastered in defense

wavell (a forgotten one, defeated by romel, but he swap italians whit a ridicoulous force)

Mannerhein: the finish, remenber the winter war: he only had 9 divicion agains 150, 60 planes agains 3000 thousands, and 6 tanks agains 5000. they manage to resist and the pull back the rusians. He lost end the end but he couse 200 000 deaths to russians. A man to take care.

wingate: the most original general i think i ever see, take a look at chiindits forces and u see the american air cavalry idea

Not yet mein friend, not yet
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 03:39

So many of them:

...Zhukov, Konev, Rommel, Guderian, Patton, McArthur, Eisenhover, Monty...

...and what about Yamamoto?

Demetrios View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Demetrios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 16:35

Where is Von Manstein , the battle of karkov is simply a masterpiece of tactic. He beat severly russian's armies which outnumbered him 6:1. At this time german armies were retreating. Only hitler's pride forced them to stay and fight.

so having no choice i vote for Romel........of course 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 08:41
i agree with all the people who said manstein because Germany did have all the best generals.....almost hands down...........also rommel is great
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2004 at 04:30

German generals:Rommel,Guderian,Erich Fon Manstein

Soviet Generals:Zukov,Konief

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 02:45

Where is Zhukov???

ZhukovZhukovZhukovZhukovZhukovZhukovZhukovZhukovZhukov!

Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 02:23
as far as success goes....I ddidn't vote for Rommel. He lost most of his battles after his defeat in nroth Africa...I voted for Patton.

however...I have the upmost respect for him because he saw what Hitler was doing and knew it to be wrong. Rommel was involved in the plot to assassinate Hitler. He was a true Patriot and saw the evils of Hiter and risked his life to stop him.

Germany had some of the best Generals......but unfortunatley for them Hitler failed to listen on many occasions.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 12:55

Not too sure why Rommel joined the plot against Hitler. Possibly it was petty because he wasn't given the command he wanted, or more general because of the bad tactics Hitler was forcing upon the army. Maybe he even only jumped on the bandwagon because he thought it would succeed and didn't want to be left out if it did.

One thing for sure, he didn't support it because he objected to any attrocities.

Also Rommel was one of Hitler's most passionate supporters from the army, which is why Hitler championed him so much as the national hero.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 14:54
Rommel was also NOT a nazi. He never was, and he despised much of the Nazi Party. Rommel also said that this was a war that Germany could not win. He said that from the beginning.

He saw that the end was getting close and that Hitler would ruin all of Germany. He decided to aid in the plot so that he could gain command and then surrender. There was no doubt in Rommel's mind that Germany was going to lose.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>