Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Primary Sources

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ShadowedRealm View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ShadowedRealm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Primary Sources
    Posted: 22-Jun-2005 at 03:26
Are there any kinds of full-text primary sources from the medieval period you  would be interested in seeing published online, whether it be in its original language or in an English translation?
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2005 at 04:33

I prefer Hungarian , but English is better than the original language. There are plenty of languages which I cannot understand.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2005 at 05:14
Niketas Choniates, I would like to see his works online. I have tried hard to find copies but the libraries in my area are not stocked with his work. The references to it in secondary sources make it even more desireable to get my hands on it.
mord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote mord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2005 at 08:25

Oh, lord, there's a question. 

I suppose asking for the entire MGH is not possible?

I'll be back.

Mord.

errr...left turn at vinland?
ShadowedRealm View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ShadowedRealm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 10:51
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Niketas Choniates, I would like to see his works online. I have tried hard to find copies but the libraries in my area are not stocked with his work. The references to it in secondary sources make it even more desireable to get my hands on it.

Unfortunately, I haven't found any early enough translations of Niketas Choniates yet (I'm looking for translations prior to 1910 that are now in the public domain).

I suppose asking for the entire MGH is not possible?

What does MGH stand for?
mord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote mord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 12:56

Monumenta Germanica Historiae

A Medieval Source collection--been around for about a century.  It's just huge.  Speaking of huge, how about Minge's "Patrilogae Latina"?

Mord.

errr...left turn at vinland?
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2005 at 03:54

I gladly read and compare to other chronicle the Tarihi ngrs/History of the Hungarians. (Original copy now in the Topkapi Museum)

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 03:03
Originally posted by mord

Monumenta Germanica Historiae

A Medieval Source collection--been around for about a century.  It's just huge.  Speaking of huge, how about Minge's "Patrilogae Latina"?

Mord.

The "Patrilogae Latina" is available online....but it is not free. I had to obtain a papal encyclical for a paper from it and had to get a professor to get a trial subscription so that he could access the database and get what I needed. It would be wonderful if there was free access to this source.

http://pld.chadwyck.co.uk/
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 00:44
Sorry to interrupt with an advertisment for the AE project, but just to let you all know, I also plan to gather primary sources for the AE site, as well as secondary sources with expired copyright. This project hasn't started but it will once the current development projects are completed.

So if you have in mind a good primary source not avaiable on the internet, please let me know.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
caocao View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote caocao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 15:50
The website for De Re Militari: The Society for Medieval Military History
(www.deremilitari.org) has an extensive selection of primary sources. I am
the editor of the website, so if there are sources you think we should add,
please let me know.
arsenka View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote arsenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 05:35

At the moment I'm looking for hebrew manuscripts written in Piriney peninsula - Al Andaluz period. But I need their digital images - not transcription. The translation would be helpful but only in addition to digital image. BTW does anyone have possibility to publish manuscripts?                                                                                                      

arsenka
 Post Reply Post Reply