Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your most strange, excentric and crazy countryman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your most strange, excentric and crazy countryman
    Posted: 22-Jun-2005 at 19:16

But for the USA the biggest eccentric could have been Joshua Abraham Norton, who called himself Emperor of the United States. He "suspended the Constitution and dissolved both the Republican and the Democratic political parties on the grounds that 'their existence engendered dissensions.' "

"Emperor Norton, who always wore a blue military uniform with gold epaulettes, patrolled the streets of San Francisco for more than 20 years, never missed a session of the state Senate and was clearly loved by his subjects. When he died in 1880, the San Francisco Chronicle ran the headline, "Le Roi Est Mort," and 30,000 mourners attended his funeral. "

This article claims that one for 10.000 people is an eccentric:

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/cruz/02.15.96/eccentric-96 07.html

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2005 at 19:16
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

I can't think of any Dutchman more eccentric than my former economics teacher.

On second thoughts I do know one:
(I'm not referring to the Smurfs, those are Belgian)

Someone who earns money by sining a song about the Smurfs in three (Dutch, German and Spanish) different languages has to be eccentric.

Edited by Mixcoatl
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2005 at 19:19
Originally posted by Mosquito

Maybe Eric XIV, but he was rather simply mad than excentric.

Yep, considered him, but as you say he simply was a nutcase. He didn't start as one though.

Gustav IV Adolf had some eccenttric tendencies, showing up in Charles XII's 100 year old uniform to prove how good he was as a commander.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2005 at 19:20

Originally posted by Mixcoatl

For some reason the weirdest Dutchmen tend to emigrate to Germany, so perhaps Komnenos and Temujin can name some more eccentric Dutchmen.

Maybe Komnenos is a german eccentric because he is a German who emigrated to Holland?

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2005 at 19:36

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Yep, considered him, but as you say he simply was a nutcase. He didn't start as one though.

Gustav IV Adolf had some eccenttric tendencies, showing up in Charles XII's 100 year old uniform to prove how good he was as a commander.

Dont worry Styrbiorn. In my not very long life I met the people who belived that all the Swedes are eccentrics

Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 07:49

Marquis De sade the most perverted sonofa that has walked the earth. He even have a word name after him "Sadism". His obssession with sex willo shock even people of nowadays.

Check this

From the age of 14 to 26 de Sade was in active military service, and participated in the Seven Years War. He married in 1763 Rene-Plagie de Montreuil, the daughter of a high-ranking bourgeois family, but also began an affair with an actress and invited prostitutes to his house. In 1768 he held a prostitute called Rose Keller captive and abused her. The chief of the Paris vice squad warned brothels of de Sade - he was considered a mortal threat to prostitutes. In the following years de Sade was found guilty of all kinds of sexual crimes, and he managed to anger Mme. de Montreuil, his mother-in-law by seducting her younger daughter, Anne-Prospre, when she was visiting his medieval fortress at La Coste in Provence. The unabated de Sade had an orgy.

http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/desade.htm

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 16:08

well, i have tried one of his books in the past and found it completelly disgusting.

Altough i wouldnt say that being pervert is the same thing as being eccentric.

Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 20:13
Originally posted by Mosquito

well, i have tried one of his books in the past and found it completelly disgusting.

Altough i wouldnt say that being pervert is the same thing as being eccentric.

Yea he was also eccentric, strange  and crazy.  Take note too much freedom in everthing leads to perversion, too little freedom leads to oppression.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 20:20
Well, if you consider eating fekalia as eccentric he was eccentric. I remember that in the book iv read people during orgies were eating a lot of sh*t and debating which sh*t taste better.
Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2005 at 08:57
Vlad the Impaler

"One day, Vlad Dracula decided to cleanse his Kingdom of those he considered to be lazy and unproductive, those who suffered from illness, a handicap, or were simply born in poverty.  He decreed that no one should go hungry in his Kingdom, and invited all the poor, unfortunate souls who tainted his concept of what society should be to a banquet in the great hall in Tirgoviste. Once he felt his "guests" had been well fed, not to mention drunk and complacent, Vlad made his appearance, asking them how they would enjoy never having to feel the pain of hunger ever again, or if they wished to never have to worry about anything ever again, to be without a care in the world. Of course, their reply was enthusiastic, so he obliged, ordering his men to board up the hall, which was then set ablaze.  No one escaped."

Hitler don't succeded.

"Vlad Dracula's treatment of his own subjects paled in comparison to the atrocities he committed against his enemies, and any who opposed him.  On St. Bartholomew's Day, he impaled 30,000 merchants for disobeying trade laws, having their bodies left to rot outside the city walls as a reminder of what would happen to any who disobeyed him. "

Stalin was a child

"Rumours abound that Vlad also ate the flesh, and drank the blood of his enemies, often holding dinner parties next to the freshly impaled.  He was very proud of his work, and anyone who showed disdain while looking upon the thousands of putrefying corpses would soon suffer the same fate.  Vlad liked to arrange the impaled in circular patterns, the length of the stakes determined by the victim's rank; this way, wealthy, or powerful opponents would plainly see they were not above the law.  Impalements were carried out in a variety of ways. During his reign, Vlad Dracula also had people decapitated, had their eyes gouged out, had them skinned alive, boiled, burnt, dismembered, eviscerated, or sometimes just physically disfigured for his own amusement.  In one particular incident, Turkish ambassadors who had refused to remove their Phrygian caps in his presence were asked why they insulted him in such a manner. When they replied it was because their hats had to remain on their heads according to custom, he graciously honored their tradition by ordering their hats permanently nailed to their heads, never to be removed again. "

Marquis de Sade had too much advertise

"Vlad Dracula's tyranny was such that none dared break any laws in his land, for fear of being punished or killed.  He even had his mistress disemboweled publicly for having lied about being pregnant with his child.  Vlad enjoyed torturing and killing women, often mutilating their breasts and sexual organs in the process. He is even rumored to have forced mothers to eat their own babies."

Jack the Ripper - the small thinker

The rest is silance

"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2009 at 10:16
As we got many new members, I was thinking about reviving this old topic.

Anyone knows more eccentric people from your countries?
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2010 at 17:21

Spain has a good list of excenctric and crazy people, some of the most famous are Juana La Loca, Lope de Aguirre or Dalí. I would center in Lope de Aguirre

Lope de Aguirre, el Loco (The Madman), 1510-1561

The letter of Aguirre to the King of Spain

Love the end of this letter: "Son of your loyal Basque vassals, and I, rebel until death against you for your ingratitude."

And the trailer of the not so less crazy movie "Aguirre, the Wrath of God"

Edited by Ikki - 26-Jan-2010 at 17:22
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2010 at 19:08
I would suggest our current president! He promised "open debates" (on C-Span), as well the posting of new bills on the internet (C-span), for a few days, and a host of other promises he has yet to deliver!

Only a madman, would make such statements, and then ignore them!

But maybe a real "progressive" would not be bothered?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2010 at 19:10
Addressed to "Ikki!;

It seems your mad man would be vicariously connected to either the Catalan Company or the Navaresse Company?

Your views?
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2010 at 10:03
According to an old general history book i read: "The Catalan Company fought in Anatolia with the strong arm of a future Cortés", in most of their characteristics the Catalan Company and the "Huestes" of the American conquest was the same entity, a feudal product of the warlike enviroment of medieval Iberia. But they were diferent in several aspects, for example the almughavars was a kind of warrior more related to celtiberians than to men at arms; the catalan company had always in higher position to the King of Aragon, as did the conquistadors with the King of Castille, but they worked with other lords. The Catalan company expedition had two stages, the first one they were hired warriors (this wasn't never seen in América), the second one they were vassals of Aragon looking for new territories, very similar to conquistadors in the new world.
The navarrese company on the opposite was a pure mercenary company, they changed of supreme lords many times and was the typical free company of the later Middle Ages.
Aguirre was a rebel, this wasn't a question of money or because a lack of lord like happen with Ronins in Japan, he rejected his lord and didn't give his loyalty to anyone, in this sense he was unique, in a way that someone have said that he founded the first independent republic of América (in fact, a Monarchy).

Edited by Ikki - 27-Jan-2010 at 10:04
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2011 at 16:17
To the powers of this site, the above post by daodaoaaa, etc., is spam and should be erased!

In response to the chieftain Ikki, I would ask if he/she has read any of my other postings concerning the acts of both the Catalans and the Navarrese, in Greece?

And, just what connections could either of these famous (at least to us) companies have had with either the "Knights of the Temple", or the "Knights of the Hospital", etc.?

The above is mostly related to the holdings of either one or the other of these religious orders, and the lands in both the Balkans, and in Greece/Macedonia!

As regards strange or excentric fellow country men, in the USA, I should merely refer one to one of America's most famous journalist! His name was made more famous by the "Sinking of the Maine" in Havana's harbor!

Perhaps some one can name him?

Just in case most of the readers of this posting are too lazy to do a little bit of investigation, the answer will be revealed below!

Regards,

"William Randolph Hearst, and his New York Journal newspaper!"

Edited by opuslola - 14-Feb-2011 at 16:25
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2011 at 07:35
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

Marquis De sade the most perverted sonofa that has walked the earth. He even have a word name after him "Sadism". His obssession with sex willo shock even people of nowadays.

[IMG]http://www.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/c/c7/190px-Marquis_de_sade.jpg">

Check this

From the age of 14 to 26 de Sade was in active military service, and participated in the Seven Years War. He married in 1763 Ren�e-P�lagie de Montreuil, the daughter of a high-ranking bourgeois family, but also began an affair with an actress and invited prostitutes to his house. In 1768 he held a prostitute called Rose Keller captive and abused her. The chief of the Paris vice squad warned brothels of de Sade - he was considered a mortal threat to prostitutes. In the following years de Sade was found guilty of all kinds of sexual crimes, and he managed to anger Mme. de Montreuil, his mother-in-law by seducting her younger daughter, Anne-Prospre, when she was visiting his medieval fortress at La Coste in Provence. The unabated de Sade had an orgy.

http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/desade.htm

Sounds like a great guy
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2011 at 08:00
I would suggest a person with the name George Orr, who has been known to artists as "The Mad Potter of Biloxi!"

Plenty of information can be found here from multiple sources.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=the%20mad%20potter%20of%20biloxi&pc=conduit&form=CONTLB&ptag=AAC509A359AFA44ECAEF&conlogo=CT2392836
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2011 at 08:29
Of course William Faulkner (Falkner), Tennessee Williams, Edgar A. Poe, and Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain), were also eccentric, but became very famous while alive.

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 02-Jun-2011 at 08:32
luluxiu View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Spammer

Quote luluxiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2011 at 01:14
Rudolph collected dwarfs and giants in his army regiment. He was surrounded by astrologers, he was fascinated by games and codes and music. He is the mystery of this period the typical aristocrat, has focused on the liberation of the Nordic Prince.

==============

Post edited by moderator for unauthorized spam link in signature block.

Centrix Vigilis

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 17-Jun-2011 at 01:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12