Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Fall of Berlin, 1945

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Fall of Berlin, 1945
    Posted: 21-Jun-2005 at 12:25

I just saw this WW2 documentary yesterday, spoke of Hitler, and mostly where his corpse was burried, somewhere in Magdeburg. So it also covered the basics of the history of the war like the massive Soviet offensive against fascist tyranny and opression. The documentary also stated that 2,5 million soldiers of the Red Army were storming towards Berlin. And then, to my astoundment, it mentioned 1,5 million Soviet casualties purely on the taking of the nazi capitol.

I have always imagined the defense of Berlin as a totally futile attempt by an army utterly demoralized and ripped of nazist illusions, but killing 1,5 million attackers can't be the act of an army i mentioned above, what was the case there? Am i just dumb on the matter of sieging and conquering cities during WW2, is the documentary faulty or was everything fine with such a casualty rate during WW2?

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2005 at 14:04

Not sure where you saw the documentary but it sounds like a History Channel mock-u-mentary. You're definately right to question it.

I was in Treptow Park a few years back and the Russians gave a figure on the monument, but I can't remember it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/low/dates/stories/april/21/n ewsid_3560000/3560175.stm

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/battle_for_berlin.htm

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2005 at 15:14
Actually the History Channel has some very nice stuff.  I don't know what you "mon-u-mentary came from.  But I have heard that that figure is correct, and it is quite possible.  Imagine street-to-street, house-to-house fighting with tanks rolling down the streets.  Pretty easy targets for any panzershrecks.  And with the knowledge that this was their last stand; don't underestimate the German army!
sovietsniper View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote sovietsniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2005 at 15:31
the red army made the same mistakes at berlin as the germans did at stalingrad. they sent in tanks thought aircraft could do all the work ect
victory to russia
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2005 at 18:46
So what is the real figure?
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2005 at 18:51
Well, according to this site, http://www.worldwar2database.com/html/berlin.htm, they did not lose 1 million but they still sustained heavy losses at 305,000.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2005 at 19:08
http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/battles.htm:
Berlin, World War II (16 April-7 May 1945): 250 000
  • Erickson, Barbarossa: The Axis and the Allies. Table 12.4 (USSR KIA): 78,291
  • 30 May 2004 Washinton Post review of Inside Hitler's Bunker by Joachim Fest: Fest est. >300,000 Red Army soldiers died, contrasted by reviewer with Antony Beevor's est. (Fall of Berlin 1945) of 78,000 Soviet dead.
  • Martin Sorge, The Other Price of Hitler's War (1986): 100,000 civilians d. incl. 20,000 cardiac arrest and 6,000 suicide. Not incl. 52,000 refugees k. caught in air raids. (citing Cornelius Ryan)
  • Wikipedia
    • Soviet: 305,000 k.
    • German: 325,000 soldiers + civilians k.
  • Some guy on Internet (Jason McDonald)
    • Soviet: 305,000 d.
    • German: 325,000, incl. civilians k.
  • [I'm figuring 78T Soviets + 325T German deaths - 152T civilians]

Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2005 at 13:41
Yes, 300 thousand seems more like it.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Moller View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 15:21

Hmm

maybe different sources are talking about different definition the fall Berlin. Have seen a program on Discovery some months ago (can't remember the name of it) where they talked about 6 mil. Russians in attack towards Berlin, but this offensive was already launced in Jan. 45 from Mid-Poland with a frontline going south through Poland down into the Czech Republic - so a large frontline counting the entire northern part of the eastern front

Maybe the Russians lost 1.5 mil men from Jan 45 to the end of Berlin, and from these 1.5 mil they lost 300.000 in the final attack into the streets of Berlin?

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 15:45
Yeah, that could very well be it.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 04:44
One should absolutely watch the movie Der Untergang in order to have a clue about what a downfall means.!
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Arnil View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Arnil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 21:42

The russians didnt lost most of their troops in berlin but at the gates of the city were a divission of SS troops were waiting for them

The day before they  bombed the positions but the germans

were transladet to another position and the bombs didnt hit them.

so when the russians were moving to Berlin thinking the way was open

they lost like 150 000 troops just that day

aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2005 at 17:38
Soviet losses were huge in Berlin, I do know that the Soviets lost more men taking Berlin than the total combined military and civilian deaths of the UK  in "the entire war" 

Edited by aghart
Former Tank Commander (Chieftain)& remember, Change is inevitable!!! except from vending machines
Renegade View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Renegade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 22:39
And plus the Americans, that only half of a million.
"I kill a few so that many may live."

- Sam Fisher
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 20:34
Around 300,000 DEAD yes, the total casualty figure could very well be at or even over one million if we accept a reasonable 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of wounded to dead. Red Army's tactics were atrocious with complete disregard for the life of the soldier. Urban warfare is also more costly in lives by definition. I should mention that these figures cover not only the Battle for Berlin itself but also the period leading right up to it, from the moment the Russians crossed the Oder to the final days and the fall in May.  
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 01:18

These numbers are a bit inflated. I have read 100,000 KIA and 300,000 WIA in the Battle of berlin, which means all the battles fromthe Oder onwards.

babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 01:22
Originally posted by sovietsniper

the red army made the same mistakes at berlin as the germans did at stalingrad. they sent in tanks thought aircraft could do all the work ect

WRONG! Planes are the worst way to decimate the defenders of a city. Not only would you be wasting your time, you'd also be creating numerous obstacles for your own troops as they move in.
    Some close air-support, some armour and heaps of infantry is the best way to capture a city.
violentjack View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 06:37
Around 500 000 Russians(Soviets) died

Bosnjaci,probudite se ili nestanite
Travis Congleton View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Travis Congleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 07:23
Many sources, when they use the word 'casualty', it combines the soldiers killed and wounded. 

1.5 million casualties? (dead and wounded)  Probably on the high end.  I would take the 300.000 killed and multiply that by 2.5.  Remember, in the eyes of the Soviet Commanders, the siege of Berlin wasn't really a siege.  It was a race.  Who could get to the
Reichstag the fastest.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 10:07
Ive got a book an it says 100,000 Russians died in Berlin.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>