Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Female rulers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Female rulers
    Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 07:51

Were there any female rulers in your country before the modern times? Was she a great queen or just puppet? What did your people think about a female ruler?

In Hungary there were two ruling queen both named Mary. (It is an interesting coincidence that the patron of Hungary is Mary mother of Jesus).

Mary I was the daughter of Louis I the Great. She had a sad and short reign. She was prisoned, her mother was killed before her face. She died in a horse accident and her husband remainded the only ruler.

Mary II or Maria Theresia had a long reign. She was rather popular in Hungary for a Habsburg. Reportedly she crowned as a king, because a female rule was unacceptable. As a young queen attacked by her enemies she asked help for the Hungarian Diet with his crying baby. (In gossips she pinched him to cry.  ) So the Diet offered her Vitam et sanguinem and saved her queen.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 08:51

We have none. It is strange that such a liberal and open minded country as Australia has had no real female in power (unless you include the almost totally ceremonial figureheads of Victoria and Elizabeth I). Before the British colonies here federated in 1901 women here already were effectively the equal of men in political terms. Colonies such as South Australia had given women the right to vote for the colonial parliament in the same capacity as men, and with the colonial government the way it was this was tantamount to electing the effective decision making body for their society.

Yet we are not even close to having a woman contend for power. There is a certain masculinity in the Aussie psyche, not a derogatory one which shuns women but simply one which exalts the "virile" characteristics of men in general. Because of this I think it will take a very long time before we see a woman effectively in charge here.

Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 08:55
We didn't ever had a real femalle ruler. Well at least no officialy, you could argue Fredegund ruled the country in place of her husband though.
Vae victis!
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 09:22

We had also two empresses in Iran, Empress Buran (Purandokht) and Empress Azarmidokht, both of them were the daughters of Khosrow II (one of the greatest Sassanid kings), when Buran ascended to the throne, she attempted to bring stability to the empire. This stability, according to Tabari, was brought about by a peace treaty with Byzantium, the revitalizing of the empire through justice, rebuilding of the infrastructure, lowering of taxes, and minting coins. We know that Buran was acknowledged by all provinces, since throughout the empire various mints struck coins in her name.

Coin of Empress Buran

Buran was committed to reviving the memory and prestige of her father, when the Sassanid Empire had grown to its largest territorial extant.

But her sister Azarmidokht was not a great empress, she killed Farraokh Hormoz, one of the greatest Iranian Spahapats (Generals), just because he asked to marry her!

baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 09:35
LOL maybe he was ugly
Midas View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 09:37
Anatolia known as the land of mothers... THe real history of Turkish flag is, it's taken from Byzantines when conquer Istanbul in 1453 and they took it from older Anatolians... Moon was the symbol of motherearth and star was the symbol of mothers of Anatolians... So Anatolians were also rulled by a lot of women... Also Amazones are from Anatolia...
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 10:17

Originally posted by Midas

Anatolia known as the land of mothers... THe real history of Turkish flag is, it's taken from Byzantines when conquer Istanbul in 1453 and they took it from older Anatolians... Moon was the symbol of motherearth and star was the symbol of mothers of Anatolians... So Anatolians were also rulled by a lot of women... Also Amazones are from Anatolia...

This is off topic so sorry about that. But I read once that Byzantium had the symbol of the moon since it was saved from an attack by Philip of Macedon. Apparently the light of the moon betrayed a planned night attack by Philip's men so that the Byzantines and their Athenian allies were able to stop the city being captured. In gratitude for this deliverance the ancient Byzantines adopted the moon as part of the symbolic paraphernalia of their city. I only read this once so I am not sure how valid this is. If someone could enlighten things further then please do. The rest of you, do better than me and stick to the topic.

Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 11:50

Originally posted by Constantine XI

This is off topic so sorry about that. But I read once that Byzantium had the symbol of the moon since it was saved from an attack by Philip of Macedon. Apparently the light of the moon betrayed a planned night attack by Philip's men so that the Byzantines and their Athenian allies were able to stop the city being captured. In gratitude for this deliverance the ancient Byzantines adopted the moon as part of the symbolic paraphernalia of their city. I only read this once so I am not sure how valid this is. If someone could enlighten things further then please do. The rest of you, do better than me and stick to the topic.

I've never actually heard that, but it could very well be true.  Philip had indeed been repulsed in his attempts to take Byzantium and Perinthus (and interestingly enough, the Greeks called on the Persians to help them defend these cities). 

I generally hear that the crescent has something to do with Byzantium's patron diety, Diana, though.

Edited by Lannes
τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 12:06

We had a female president. Tansu Ciller,Ask her to greeks how  femini she is.

no more female

Edited by Murtaza
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 13:02

We have never had a female ruler.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 13:14
Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

We have never had a female ruler.

unless you count pre-columbian city states. In that case you've had queen Sac K'uk' of Palenque.

Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 14:58

well, but that reference is from the mesoamerican period. Even Tonalla had a female ruler. But , I was refering to Mexico as a country ( 1821 - )

Regards Mixcoatl
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 18:52

Originally posted by Exarchus

We didn't ever had a real femalle ruler. Well at least no officialy, you could argue Fredegund ruled the country in place of her husband though.

You forgot Catherina de Medici, altough she was ruling trough her puppet sons. Not that she was really a ruler but her influence was strong.

Edited by Mosquito
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 19:10

5000 years ago, women held power in burnt city

According to the research by an archeological team in the burnt city, women comprised the most powerful group in this 5000-year-old city.

The archeological team has found a great number of seals in the women's graves. In ancient societies, holding a seal was a sign of power, and was of 2 kinds: personal and governmental.

The burnt city ancient site located in Sistan-Baluchistan province, southeastern Iran, dates back to some 5000 years ago and belongs to a developed civilization living at the time when cities of the world were just beginning to form.

"In the ancient world, there were tools used as a means of economic control. Whoever had these tools at his disposal was among the most powerful people in the society", Mansour Sajjadi, the Iranian archeologist responsible for excavations in the burnt city told CHN.

According to Sajjadi, during the excavations in the burnt city cemetery, 90% of the graves in which the seals were found belonged to women. Only 5% of these seals were found in men's graves.

http://www.payvand.com/news/04/dec/1196.html

Add them To " Queen Puran Dokht & Queen Azar midokht "

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 19:17
We're getting the first female ruler in Germany in September and I'm not looking forward to it.
Not because she is a woman, but because she is a right-wing conservative.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2005 at 10:49
Queen Marie of Romania
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2005 at 11:09

For Luxembourg, there have been a couple in the 20th century, both of course constitutional monarchs. The Grand Duchess Marie Adelaide followed her father in 1912, but was forced to abdicate in 1919 because of her pro-German stance in WWI, in favour of her sister Grand Duchess Charlotte, who reigned until she abdicated in 1964 in favour of her son. She was immensely popular because of her steadfast ANTI-German stance in WWII.

Oddly though, Luxembourg's independence is partly due to the fact that sonse have primacy over daughters in the succession ('Semi-Salic Law'). Technically it became an independent country in 1867, but the King of the Netherlands was also Grand Duke of Luxembourg. In 1884 King William died, and his daughter, the redoubtable Wilhelmina, became Queen of the Netherlands. She was not however allowed to succeed in Luxembourg, where the succession went to a cousin who became Grand Duke Adolphe.

Much more significantly, much the same thing happened in 1837 when William IV of England, Scotland and so on died. For over a century the King of England had also been Elector of Hanover, with considerable German possessions [1]. Victoria succeeded him in England, but was not allowed to succeed in Hanover. Otherwise a large part of Germany would have continued to be effectively part of the United Kingdom, which could have made quite a bit of difference to subsequent history.

[1] Hence the Hessians that fought in the American War of Independence and the King's German Legion that fought in the Peninsular War.

Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2005 at 14:28
Korea's had 3 queens.

Here in the States we're still waiting though.
BlackPanther View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote BlackPanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2005 at 23:55

We had Jhansi Ki Rani..Rani in Hindi means Queen..Her real name awas Rani Lakshmi Bhai...She fought against the Britis Raj...But i can't find a good enough link for u guyzz to read..this is the best i could muster...

I'll let uknqw if i get more details...

http://www.freeindia.org/biographies/greatlkings/jhansi/

ACHTUNG!!!
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2005 at 07:26

As far as i can remember,in Ancient Hellas men had the political power whether they were in democracy or oligarchy but women,especially in Athens, had a very heavy say in the political scenery.During the Byzantine period the emperors were male,but many times their wives or mothers were really in charge.During the years after the liberation of Ottoman rule,men were again those who had the power.

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>