Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shkoder = Skudra ?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shkoder = Skudra ?!
    Posted: 18-Jun-2005 at 14:35

Shkoder, also called SHKODRA, Latin SCODRA, Italian SCUTARI, town, northwestern Albania. It lies at the southeast end of Lake Scutari, at a point where the Buen (Serbo-Croatian: Bojana) River, one of Albania's two navigable streams, flows out of the lake toward the Adriatic Sea. Situated at the edge of a wide plain surrounded by high mountains, the city is overlooked on the west by the peak of Tarabosh. Shkoder is dominated on the south by the now-isolated citadel of Rozafat, past which the Kiri River flows into the Buen. Since 1900 the town has spread northeastward, away from its bazaar, which was once important because of its location at the convergence of trade routes from the Danube River and the Aegean Sea.

Is it the same Skudra in the ancient Persian inscriptions?

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2005 at 22:08
Cyrus... im actually from that city  ... Shkodra was the capital of the "Illyrian" empire if you could call it so under king Agron and queen Teuta who managed to unite Illyrian tribes at some kind of degree.  I doubt the name you refer to in the Persian inscription has anything to do with my city. Why would Illyrians be paying tribute to Persians which did not control Illyria in the first place?
Here's a pic of Rozafa by the way... ive visited a couple of times. I think it was constructed sometime around 300-200BC.
It has a legend of three Illyrian brothers who were building it would work during daytime and during night time an "evil spirit" would make it crumble. Another spirit told them than in order to undo this they would have to put inside the wall one of their wives so they decided that the one who would bring them the food the next day would be the one to die. The two older brothers broke their word by telling their wives to not come that day meanwhile the younger one didn't. So the younger wife was put in the wall but she requested that one of her breasts be kept outside to feed her newborn baby. After this was done the wall never crumbled and the castle was built.

The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2005 at 23:32
Coincidental. Shkodra was founded around the 4th century B.C., it was originally an Illyrian settlement in the area. The city itself has a ton of history in it. By the 5th century AD it fell to the first serb state Zeta which was based around Montenegro. It later fell to the Venetians. It managed to resist two heavy Ottoman attacks before falling. The fall was quite epic too. The city was literally surrounded from all points possible by the Ottomans.

Interesting you bring up the issue of similar names between Iran and Albania.

Our capitol, Tirana, was founded by a guy named Suleyman Pasha, an Ottoman Pasha born near the village of Mullat in Albania. One of the theories of the cities name was in honor of his victory of on the victory in Tehran. Which had just recently occured. This however is an improbable theory as there are mentions of the area as Tirkan and Tirana in Byzantine and Venetian sources.

Very interesting though.

Edited by Iskender Bey ALBO
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2005 at 01:51

Isn't it an Illyrian helmet:

Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2005 at 09:20

The Illyrian helmet

This a hellenistic type. Its missing the horse hair on the top(forgot what they call it)
I dont believe there has been any kind of theory that Illyrians were of Iranian origins. Keep in mind Scodra is the latin pernounciation.

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2005 at 09:48

I don't think also that they were an Iranian people but there is almost no doubt that they live somwhere near Greece, of course it is said to be Thrace and Macedonia, as it is mentioned here:

http://www.iranica.com/articles/v7f1/v7f136a.html

[According to the ancient Persian inscriptions] Four new "satrapies" were added to Darius' empire: Saka tyaiy paradraya "Overseas Scythians," Skudra (Thrace and Macedonia), Yauna takabara or Yauna tyaiy paradraya (Thessalians and Greek islanders), and Putaya (Libya).

Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2005 at 10:03
Interesting.

However there is no evidence of a Persian colonization in that area and any traces. It has always been mentioned as a hellenistic Illyrian town. This is similar to the whole Thebes thing. One being in Egypt and one in Greece.

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2005 at 11:30
very interesting but i still doubt it
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2005 at 12:25

I searched for Albania Costume in google and found this pic:

It is interesting that Albanian men wore also skirt-like garments!

Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2005 at 13:53
Yes we call it a fustanella. It is also used among Greeks and Vlachs(Romanized populants in the area).

Here are two pics showing a varienty of national clothngs.

Northern Albania(area called Mirdita and Malesi i Madth)

And from Shkodra

Some of the above were developed throughout the Ottoman years however. But the Fustanella can be dated back much further. It has also been used by the Tosks(people who live in southern Albania) of Albania for a while.

Shkodra(Scutari) has also had a large ROman Catholic population.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 08:15
Originally posted by Iskender Bey ALBO

Yes we call it a fustanella. It is also used among Greeks and Vlachs(Romanized populants in the area).

Everybody call it fustanella...
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 11:38
I thought Greeks called it foustanella?

even so your basically right. I believe the word is of latin origin.
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 16:56
It is interesting that Albanian men wore also skirt-like garments!

Actually the 'dress' was very common among the subjects of the Byzantine empire. If you take a look at any icon depicting a saint you'll see that they wear a version of the 'foustanella'.
This is a 6th century icon of St. George.
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 17:04
Hmmm, those tripes. How thick are they? Were they attached to the armor? That kind of kilt is found throughout much of the medieval world. BTW, Phallanx thats not a dress. Rather armor.

Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 22:01

Originally posted by Iskender Bey ALBO

Were they attached to the armor? 

The Pteruges?  They wouldn't be attached to the klibanion (or whatever the corselet is).  Instead they would be attached to something worn underneath the corselet (sometimes just called an arming jerkin).

τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2005 at 14:43
Actually the earliest evidence of the Fustanella is found in Northern Illyria in the 5th century BC.

This was found in Slovenia, dating 5th century BC.

This found near Durres, dates back to the 4th century...

As the centuries pass we find signs of it moving to the south.

Korce, 2-3rd century AD

Vlore, 3-4th century AD

Also, have you read Lord Byrons poem about Albs? If no, then in the one part he comments;

LVIII.

The wild Albanian kirtled to his knee,

And even studies say it was adopted from Albanian soldiers and even the 1911 encycloepedia states this...

COnsidering however that "Fustanella" is a latin term. It could mean that it was spread by Romanized Illyrians of the north(Slovania) southward into Epirus. Meaning it could have Vlach origin...

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 08:55

It is interesting you mention Lord Byron. Here is the Albanian costume he bought in 1809 on display in Bowood House near Calne.

Looks like alot longer than just the knee.

Even if he did mention that in his poem, how does this prove origin of the costume?

It's origins are most probably the ancient "chyton"and the "tonga". We also know of the Byzantine "tunica" that wasn't much of a change when compared to those ancient forms. It seems that these were obviously the ancestor of the "foustanella"

I saw you mentioned Durres. Wasn't Epidamnus (it's ancient name) founded by Hellinic colonists sometime around 650BC?

Edited by Phallanx
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 11:46
I saw you mentioned Durres. Wasn't Epidamnus (it's ancient name) founded by Hellinic colonists sometime around 650BC?

it was found it 4AD not BC. Sorry for the mistake.

Looks like alot longer than just the knee

Yes, I found that strange too. I don't know why he would say to knees when in that era just about all.
I guess thats the one that stuck out in his mind.

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 12:13
it was found it 4AD not BC. Sorry for the mistake.

To be honest I never noticed that mistake

I was refering to the fact that since Epidamnus was founded by Hellinic colonists, this artifact doesn't support the Albanian origin of the foustanella, but could actually connect it to Hellas.
Now add that to Vlore and Korce both in the South, that makes me at least skeptical.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 13:45
Now add that to Vlore and Korce both in the South, that makes me at least skeptical.

Well, like I said. Im pointing to Vlach aboriginal origins since we can find very early evidence of it northern Illyria(Slovenia), in the 5th century BC.

But still, when was the first actual mention of the fustanella?
Most mentions of the dress I have seen stated it was found among ALbanian soldiers and rich folk.

Dogmatic Balkan pride. Which man wore the dress first?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>