Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Phenotype of original IE speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phenotype of original IE speakers
    Posted: 24-Nov-2005 at 13:31
Consider this other example of Can Hasan pottery:

Its finer work make it much closer to the fine examples you're showing of Diminian pottery.

You come again negating there is a Sesklo culture, you say there are no more villages that have Sesklian culture. Yet, that's not what I've read.

Also the site where you got that map of Sesklo (or another one with the same map) says the following:

Aprs une interruption d'environ 400 ans, Sesklo A est roccup. C'est cette poque que l'on construit le btiment central, appel "mgaron". C'est galement de cette poque que date ce que l'on a longtemps interprt comme un mur d'enceinte. Il s'agit d'une structure qui circonscrit les limites du site et dans lequel des entres semblent permettre de contrler les accs.

Translated it says that "after an interruption of 400 years, Sesklo A is reoccupied. This is the period when the central building, called 'megaron'. This is also the period of datation of what has been interpreted as an enclosure wall. (...)"

So this reconstruction belongs to the Dimini period and the culture of Dimini of the 5th milennium. It may be the site of Sesklo, but it is not the same period nor the same culture (even if the cultures are connected).

The following is a reconstruction of the Sesklo of the 6th milennium, the period that it gives name to that Early Neolithic culture:

You see there's no central "megaron" nor the other characteristics of Diminian construction style. This is the Sesklo that was burned and abandoned for about 4 centuries, along with other Thessalian, Serbian and Macedonian villages of the same EN cultural complex.

This pot that you posted:

Is specifically mentioned (http://www.le.ac.uk/archaeology/rug/AR210/Transi tionsToFarming/keramika.htm) to be very simmilar to those of Starcevo culture.

Some regions, Thessaly, Macedonia and Serbia, suffer destruction and change of culture. Bulgaria suffers a lesser cultural change with no apparent destruction. Finally the northernmost regions, Hungary and Transylvania suffer no destruction nor any significative cultural change. The pattern is clear to me.

Another version of "old" Sesklo:

Doesn't he look a little "Etruscan", btw?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2005 at 19:25
Its finer work make it much closer to the fine examples you're showing of Diminian pottery.

Well closer yes, but it doesn't really convince me as the original, not that its fake. I mean that it doesn't convince me to be made by the original source of this style, but rather looks like a bad immitation. Besides, didn't the french site you got it from clearly mention 5th millenium, so it is obviously a later 'product'.

You come again negating there is a Sesklo culture, you say there are no more villages that have Sesklian culture. Yet, that's not what I've read.

Well no that wasn't what I meant, my post probably mislead you. When you said "Sesklian villages" I believed you were either refering to more sites in the same 'limited area' (which is why I said "only one site in Sesklo") or to one of the other 63 sites seen in the greater area of Thessaly, which is why I mentioned "lack of evidence" since from what I've read they show no signs of destruction or fire.

While I never rejected that the site of Sesklo was destroyed or abandoned, the crucial point that is neglected by the source you quoted,(no I didn't use that one but a Hellinic site) is that the destruction took place in 4400BC as previously mentioned. (even historyforkids.com agrees on a late detruction. not that it's the most accurate source, but it is interesting they'd miss this fact)
So the invasion by the 'imported' population that settled in Dimini should be rejected but not only due to the inconsistency in dates, but since Dimini was populated (even if it that was sparsely) since Early Neolithic.. see perseus.tufts.edu that also points to the probability of an early fortification during the earliest settlement of Sesklo..

Well true, the 'megaron' does seem to be a new addition/evolution, but that does not explain why there is no fortification in Canhasan, the 'primitive' form of pottery decorations, the absence of male anthropomorphic figurines...etc. (since that is allegedly the source of the invaders) nor why Dimini pre-dates other similar cultures of it's time. (the issue I mentioned before)
While there are some similarities, the differences are far too many to simply neglect them.
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2005 at 06:15
5th milennium is adequate: Dimini culture is considered to start in the verge of the 5th milennium.

I never said that the "invaders" came from Can Hasan, but that they are also detected in Can Hasan as invaders. Their origin is obscure so far, though typically speculated as "from somewhere in Anatolia".

If you're rght about "old" Sesklo being destroyed only as late as 4400 BCE (and I have no data to cotradict that), then the dates do seem to be a little inconsistent. But if that would be the case, I'm sure I would have read about it (all the time I've read about the destruction happening c. 5000). Didn't Sesklo experiment two destructions? One c. 5000 and another after the reconstruction maybe? I wonder.

The new "fortified" style of villages is not something general anyhow. It is typical of Dimini itself and, as we have seen in this discussion, of Sesklo after the reconstruction in the context of Dimini.

In the rest of Thessaly and related cultures of the Balcans I have no reference of "fortifications" or hierarchical organization of villages with the "black and beige" pottery, but the cultural transition is parallel to that of Thessaly and the burned and abandoned villages also a common trait.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2005 at 14:58
Well, the 5th may be adequate but as I said so is the time difference to reject this theory. While both 5200 BC (Dimini) and 5000-4800 BC (Canhasan) are both dates on the 'verge' of the 5th mill. one obviously preceeds the other.
So the whole issue comes down to the distance and dates presented. If they originated in Anatolia (in general) we should have seen their 'influence' in that region first and then expect it to be 'exported' towards other lands.. Balkans, Hellas, Europe in general. But the timeline does not agree with the theory. So it should be rejected. It does seem simple to me.

When Sesklo was destroyed has nothing to do with what I may support, if I'm right or not, but what the researchers/archeologists of the site do.
 As I mentioned K.Kotsakis, D. Theocharis, E.Blowedow,  V. Milojcic and P. Halstead among others accept the date of 4400 BC.
 A more extensive search gave me the following names that all as the previously mentioned archeologists agree on the date.

J. Aslanis, R.J. Elia, D. Kokkinidou, K. Trantalidou, M. Pantelidou-Gofa, A. Sampson, P. Sotirakopoulou, T Hardy, C. Renfrew, M. Thompson. A. Wace and the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki..

Fortifications may not be generally used all over the general region of Hellas but we do have several finds, like those in Nea Nikomedia, Achilleio, Frachthi, Nea Makri, Makrygialos, Tsagli, Otzaki, Visviki, Sitagroi...etc.

Anyway, I still haven't found any source that mentions destroyed villages/cultures due to some invasion in the greater Balkan area, could you point out some that may be connected to this.

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2005 at 16:30
Some references I've found in the net:

El final de la cultura a la que da nombre este yacimiento es muy problemtica. Es evidente, segn las excavaciones realizadas, que en algunos asentamientos de esta cultura, como Sesklo y Tsangly, la ltima fase de ocupacin  fue destruida por el fuego.

Esta fase en la zona se corresponde con un cuarto nivel.

Sin embargo en asentamientos de Servia y Macedonia a este cuarto nivel, destruido violentamente se le superpone una quinta ocupacin. Se ha interpretado como la consecuencia de una invasin de parte de la zona nuclear, pero despus de esta destruccin violenta se superpone un nuevo nivel, que recupera la cultura

http://www.dearqueologia.com/sesklo.htm

Author: Isabel Prieto Gonzlez, archaeologist.

Translation: The end of the culture that is named by this site [Sesklo] is very problematic. It is evident, following the excavations, that in some sites of this culture, like Sesklo and Tsangly, the last phase of the occupation was destroyed by fire.

This phase corresponds with a 4th level in the region.

Nevertheless, in sites of Serbia and Macedonia this fourth level, destroyed violently by fire, is superimposed by a fifth occupation. It has been interpreted as an invasion of part of the core region, but after this violent destruction a new level appears that recovers it [the culture].

According to this site: http://users.hol.gr/~dilos/prehis/prerm6.htm,

Dimini was established some time after 5000 BC

therefore, not in 5200 but rather around 4800.

Can't find nothing else online.

Can you?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 05:11
Well the "last phase of the occupation was destroyed by fire." is kind of a vague statement. Could they be refering to the literally last phase in the 4th Mill, or do they imply something else ??
(HERE is the official site of the Hellinic Ministry of Culture that even though gives a poor presentation of the site, mentions 4th. mill.)

While the second link does mention 'after' the author of the article contradicts this very statement only one line later by saying :

"The most beautiful example of Greek Neolithic pottery is this two-handled vase from Dimini dated between 5300 and 4800 BC. The vase (25 cm h.) is superb for its shape and its well arranged decoration. [Source: George A. Papathanassopoulos, ed. Neolithic Culture in Greece (Athens: Goulandris Found., 1996), pasim]

So do we believe the author that mentions "after" or the quoted archeologist that gives a probable "before" date ?
(I do believe some form of testing
, C-14 or other,  has been made on the artifact)
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 07:58

Can't say. But when I see between 5300 and 4800, I read either c. 5050 (just in the middle) or somewhen between the two dates, depending of other (hopefully more precise) datations. If that vase has an isolated early datation, it should be put in quarantine.

Examples: the oldest dated beaker style pottery is one in Soria (), pre-dating many centuries any other findings of the like. Yet it is one isolated case and therefore must be disreagrded/quarantined. Another example: artifacts of Achelean style have been found in Galicia dating as late as 12,000 BCE. Though in this case there's some more reason to speculate, because Galicia shows no middle or upper Paleolithic cultural findings, it still is an isolated finidng that must be contrasted with further info (yet to be digged) to be considered a fact.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 14:39
Even though this site actually supports the 'invasion theory' the dates presented are what I want to point out.

LINK

While I have no idea what the "av. Je" means (probably weren't translated), it does clearly note that the alleged  invasion happened in 5400BC and mentions the phases of Dimini.
- Dimini-Tsangli (4400-4200 av.Jc/5400-5200 BC)
- Dimini-Arapi (4200-4000 av.Jc/5200-5000 BC)
- Dimini-Hagia Sofia (4000 av.Jc/5000 BC)

So this means that there is no need of
quarantine and the invasion-destruction dates are simply inconsistent.

Edited by Phallanx
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 14:55
The link doesn't work. 

Maybe you needed to remove Google frame before copying it.

Av. Jc, surely means BC (avant Jesus Crist in French).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 15:00
Corrected it, 
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 15:58
Thanks. Nice site.

Notice that the site also assumes that Sesklo culture ends c. 5500 BC (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/atil/atil/y12.htm): Les seskliens seront vaincus vers 4400 av.jc (5500 BC) par les plasges et on a retrouv les traces de leurs villages incendis.

Obviously av. jc and BC are not synonims. He has a note in the main page: Note : Toutes les dates suivies ici par "BC" ont t calcules par la dendrochronologie; celles suivies par "av.jc." l'ont t selon la mthode du "carbone 14". la premire mthode est de loin la plus prcise et l'on remarquera qu'elle donne toujours des datations plus recules dans le temps. Cependant, toutes les dates dendrochronologiques n'tant pas encore disponibles, elles n'ont pas toujours t indiques sur ce site.

If I'm not wrong, it means that BC dates are calculated via dedrochronology, while av. jc. ones are reliant on C14. The first method, he says, is more precise but not always available.

The site follows grosso modo what I've been thinking, though his dates may be a little different than those of mine.

He also associates directly (maybe too directly) Sesklian Neolithic with that of Anatolia (Hacilar, Catal Hyuk), a people that collectivelly calls Trialtiens (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/atil/atil/x5.htm) who consider proto-Caucasians (in the sense of ethnically related with Hattians, Hurrians, Georgians, etc.).

He calls those of Dimini culture Pelasgians (I use Aimonians instead) and considers that they invaded (sic) Southern Italy later on (something that can have some archaeological backing but not sure if up to the point of invasion or just influence). This Diminian influence on Italy reaches Tuscany eventually.

Also, on a side note, when searching for items of Beycesultan, I came to find this sad dossier on the destruction of archaeological remains in Turkey: http://www.tayproject.org/dosyaegeeng.html.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 09:20

Now, back on the topic...Reccently i found articles that confirm some of your views Maju.However, i dont quite understand how do u imagine these proto-IE's:Todays Afghans,Balts, Slavs?...i found different answers on different posts.

How do u explain iranian-nordics?

What's your view on Coon's speculation about IE's being ''gracile mediteranian dolichomorphics''?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234