Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alexanders Greatest Battle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What is Alexander’s greatest battle?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.38%]
6 [14.29%]
34 [80.95%]
1 [2.38%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexanders Greatest Battle
    Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 09:56

What is Alexander's greatest battle?

Suggested Reading: Alexander: The Ambiguity of Greatness by Guy Maclean Rogers

Edited by Winterhaze13
Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)
Bishop View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2005 at 22:44
It's hard to pick anything other than Gaugamela. It's quite possibly the greatest battle ever fought in antiquity.

Hydaspes was a close second, as far as brilliant tactics. But Granicus was quite bold, and has to be the greatest river crossing.

I think no man ever lived as bold as Alexander. The man earned and deserved the title of "Great".

Of course I've read a few books on Alexander the Great. and now I'm reading about another man who was equally as bold, just not as successful. And if Alexander has a close second it's Hannibal.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2005 at 23:26
Hannibal is a successor to much of Alexander's battle tactics so you will see plenty of parallels. My vote is for Guagamela.
Arrian View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Arrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 00:25

As a first-time poster I will respectfully submit my vote for Granicus as Alexander's greatest victory, and for several reasons.   This engagement was his first against Darius' numerically superior horde and was 'played' on the Persian's home field.   The result of this battle set the psychological tone going forward for both armies.   The Macedonians gained immense confidence in themselves and their leader while Persian troops and allies must have had reservations about meeting Alexander again.    Darius' army was made up of large numbers from subjugated nations.    These men, even while conscripted into Darius' army,  must  have had their 'loyalties' severely shaken by this defeat.       

Additionally,  I believe the very nature of how the battle played out sent significant signals  to combatants on both sides.   Alexander faced a river crossing followed by a scramble up the river's bank to meet a numerically superior enemy who waited at their leisure.   The Macedonians exerted themselves greatly before they were even able to join the battle.    Once the battle began in earnest Alexander continued to press the issue in spite of his perceived disadvantages.    His daring  cavalry charge directly at Darius' position, at great personal risk, served to panic his opponent and to  embolden his own troops.   

Although not as aesthetically appealing as Gaugamela or as creative as the siege of Tyre, Granicus left no doubt that Alexander was going to be a force to be reckoned with.   His reckless, hellbent attack and win at Granicus left the Persians reeling and I believe did them irreparable psychological damage.        

In the future whenever you communicate with me, send to me as the King of Asia; do not write to me as an equal, but state your demands to the master of all your possessions. -Alexander to Darius-    
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 03:15
In terms of its impact on the Greek army, the battle with Indian king Puru should also be considered. Puru was a small time king of a small indian border state & as such had  a negligible role in the Indian polity as he was very small compared to the big empires in the Indian heartland.

Although he was eventually defeated due to brilliant strategy & bold tactics employed by Alexander, He crossed the river & attacked in a stormy night & Indians as a rule did not finght after dusk (so they were not expecting an attack in the night). He was so much in awe of the bravery of the small army opposing him that he  returned  the defeated king his state.

Further due to the extremely high losses incurred by the greeks in this battle, there was a rebellion in his army whom he wanted to go into India proper as they said if a smalltime king& a small army like puru,s can inflict such severe damage to the greek army, what will the Huge armies of the big empires in Gangetic valley do ?

Faced with a rebellion & clear refusal by his army & generals to press deeper into India, he returned, but again suffering heavy casualties while retreating attacked by the small Indian city estates on the way.

PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 03:26
I would say Alexs greatest battle would be Tyre.
The babylonian inscription makes it seem that Gaugamela was a case of the Persian army abandoning without much of a fight.

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 05:21
Originally posted by Sparten

The babylonian inscription makes it seem that Gaugamela was a case of the Persian army abandoning without much of a fight.

The Siege of Tyre is considered by many to be the most incredible siege in history.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 14:16
Originally posted by Sparten

Bah Sparten I wanted to put that one.
Other then alot of the famous ones already mentioned some of the mountain battles were quite brilliant or maybe even lucky. Sogdian Rock, though not really a great battlefield type battle, was just another chance to see the brilliance of Alexander's military thinking.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
WordRider View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote WordRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 18:09
I voted for big bad Gaugamela:In that What a sight to see!

WordRider
Terrance I.McGee
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 00:36
The Siege Of Tyre should be in the greatest siege's of all time thread.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 07:15
For Alexander, the greatest battle would have been the one which decided his fate. In retrospect it would have been the battle with Puru, the ruler of the Indian satrapy. It was another example of Alexander,s military brilliance
& the turning point of his career or the begining of his downfall or his nemesis, whatever.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 14:07
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

For Alexander, the greatest battle would have been the one which decided his fate. In retrospect it would have been the battle with Puru, the ruler of the Indian satrapy. It was another example of Alexander,s military brilliance& the turning point of his career or the begining of his downfall or his nemesis, whatever.

Well in that retrospective Guagamela by far decided his fate. It opened his mind that he could go to no limits. Had he lost there it would of sent him all the way back home and the whole empire dream may have been never realized. The only thing to ever defeat him was his own men.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 03:32
Perfect Logic. Then we have two battles which changed his fate. One prompted him to advance, another one to retreat
kingofmazanderan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kingofmazanderan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 01:08

I agree Guagamala seems to have bin more retreat then fight. 

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 04:43
Daruis lll was absolutly frightened to death when he saw Alexander ride up near him. I actually think the fact that a monarch will retreat after seeing this Ruler of the enemy right up close to him is crazy, as well as in the battle of Issus.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 11:35
Without a doubt it is Gaugamela. I just watched a History Channel special on it. The new tactics Alexander used in this battle proved that his theories of warfare would actually work. These tactics were then used by his army as they traveled across Asia.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 12:18
Gaugemela was agianst a second rate army. All the levies and 2nd rate troops hastily drawn up to replace the main Persian army which was lost at Issus. Issus might not have been as spectacular as Gaugamela but it was where Alexander won the campaign. Gaugamela was a final desperate roll of the dice by defeated monarch.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Eltaco View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Eltaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 17:39

Really, funny I always thought that Gaugemela had the best of Darius's armies.  Although it does make sense.  If your army is based on levies, then you would want to summon the most elite soldiers first.

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 23:58

The Persian Immortals were indeed present at both battles.

Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 09:03
Gaugamela because it was here that Alexander displayed the greatest skill in combined arms tactics and created not exploited the crucial weakness in the persian line. Issus was a great victory but the terrain unlike at Gaugamela favoured Alexander.

Edited by Praetor - 05-Oct-2006 at 09:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>