Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the annals of taciticus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the annals of taciticus
    Posted: 13-Jun-2005 at 06:24
has anyone read this book?do you recommend it?
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2005 at 22:05
I read Tacitus' Annals, Book IV in an upper level Latin course (translated it from the Latin).  Are you planning on reading it in Latin or in an English translation?  I thought the Latin was quite difficult in places, kind of like piecing together a puzzle.  Good subject matter, although Tacitus was quite critical of the Empire and sympathetic towards the old Republic.
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 10:08
I'm going to read it in english.Though i am worried that it will be a waste of time.do you recommend it?
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2005 at 00:27
It is alright I guess.  I wouldn't read it for fun myself, but I have many Byzantine history books I have bought that I would read first!   It gives you a good insider's look into the politics behind the scenes in imperial Rome -- it was quite dark and deadly to be sure!
 Post Reply Post Reply