Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greek Ancestry of Northern Pakistani Ethnic Groups?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
Author
Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greek Ancestry of Northern Pakistani Ethnic Groups?
    Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 13:15
I didn't call him a Turk, I merely related it to Pan-Turkism. Don't get so uppity.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 13:22
these racial/genetics/origins threads with nationalist spins are getting really old.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 13:29
Originally posted by Herschel

I didn't call him a Turk, I merely related it to Pan-Turkism. Don't get so uppity.
its first time i ever heard that jews are ethnically Turks or something, post me that link of that lie who whas spreaded by pan-Turanists as you say. Just source of that.
ScythianEmpire View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ScythianEmpire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 02:55

Hi again. Thanks for the replies. The above haplomap shows the Pakistani Kalash group which was talked about above has a very similar haplogroup distribution as the Yugoslavian (former Macedonian) one. HG 28 seems to have found it's way into Kalash though, which probably isnt surprising, but for the three major haplogroups there's a good correlation. Perhaps there's some truth in them being direct descendants of the Macedonians after all.

There's very little HG9 in Pakistani Pathan and Kalash, which I'm assuming came from Arab migrations to the region. They probably came from the South, so Sindhis etc would have a high amount, though Kashmiris in the North have a high amount too.

Pakistani Kashmiri has no HG2, which I find odd (light blue). If the Macedonians went there there should be some. But I guess Alexander the Greats Empire didnt extend much past the Indus as shown.

http://library.thinkquest.org/10805/alexmap.html 

http://www.classbrain.com/art_cr/publish/pakistan_color_map. shtml 

Though if the Scythians migrated to the Kashmiri region to add to Haplogroup 3, they would have added some HG2 (blue) as well as HG3.  

Posted by Maju

I won't agree though with the concept of Ukrainian/Greek/Spanish/Central Asian mix unless you take it as a very lax reference. 45% of Hg3/R1a means that they are mostly of the Eastern European Paleolithic "nation", with much mixture of other lineages (typical of most peoples). Not much can be said about Hg1 and Hg2 without knowing which are their specific lineages.

I'm not sure what you mean by lax reference, or by Hg1 and Hg2 not having a specific lineage, i'll look it up later. What I'm thinking is this. It's very simplistic I know, very likely not the whole picture, but just something I thought up just now. Hg3 mutation originated somewhere around the Eurasian Steppes, Eastern Europe perhaps Slovakia, Poland or even Czech or Ukraine. I think this is the currently held view, the site of the Kurgan culture. Migrations from here began around 3000 BC.

Take the first instant of Alexander the Greats Army entering Pakistan and settling in the area. He marched as far East as Punjab, Eastern Pakistan. From what I know he didnt go into India, but the Greco Bactrian kingdom later expanded into some Northern areas of India. This would place, perhaps a fair amount of HG2 into the population (assuming the Yugo haplogroupings didnt change much over the years: if anyone knows the recent history of invasions into that area, that might help). It is believed by some that the Kalash tribe are direct descendants of Alexander the Great and their haplogroup charting is very similar to the Macedonian one in terms of the major three percentages. The rest of the Pakistani populations we know mixed up in the furture (from 400 BC to present). But the Kalash are a good example of Macedonian settlement in the region, so this was probably a major migration. The Scythians we know invaded around 200 or 400 years later, so they would have brought with them Haplogroup 3. This might be reflected in the increased HG 3 found in Pakistani Pathan but not in Kalash who claim to be a pure line of Alexander the Great (Macedonian). There was also a Hun invasion after that, though it looks as though only Pakistani Hazaras carry the genetic haplotgroup C of Mongols, they also claim to be direct descendants of Genghis Khan.

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/AJHG/journal/issues/v72n3/0 24530/024530.text.html?erFrom=-9123523380586873369Guest  

The Scythians entered Pakistan around 100 AD, the Greeks around 400 BC. Obviously someone brought with them a large amount of Haplogroup 3 into the population. The following gives some suggested origins of Pathans and other Pakistani groups, also suggesting no Jewish origin for the Pathans/Kalash, though they also suggest no Greek origin.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=44 7589 

However, they also say this is based on haplotype analysis of the Greek population and Alexander was Macedonian? Anyway, the Maced. entered Pakistan in about 400 BC or somewhere there, and this was later followed by the Scythians, so clearly they influenced the genetic make up of Pathans. However, the Kalash werent very much affected if this is true.

Edited by ScythianEmpire
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ScythianEmpire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 03:39

Originally posted by Zagros

these racial/genetics/origins threads with nationalist spins are getting really old.

You have a problem with kids on this forum too it seems  

Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 03:41
I agree with Zagros, lets discuss something new.
Jai Badri Vishal
Rakhsh View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Rakhsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 06:29
Yeah Close this topic I mean how can we take this seriously, and it seems like every topic I go to there is Some Turk claiming everyone is originally Turk....
Never under estimate the predictablity of stupidity! - Bullet Tooth Tony
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 06:34
Everyone is human I guess.Thats the LCD that joins us.
Jai Badri Vishal
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 08:28
Originally posted by ScythianEmpire

Posted by Maju

I won't agree though with the concept of Ukrainian/Greek/Spanish/Central Asian mix unless you take it as a very lax reference. 45% of Hg3/R1a means that they are mostly of the Eastern European Paleolithic "nation", with much mixture of other lineages (typical of most peoples). Not much can be said about Hg1 and Hg2 without knowing which are their specific lineages.

I'm not sure what you mean by lax reference, or by Hg1 and Hg2 not having a specific lineage, i'll look it up later. What I'm thinking is this. It's very simplistic I know, very likely not the whole picture, but just something I thought up just now. Hg3 mutation originated somewhere around the Eurasian Steppes, Eastern Europe perhaps Slovakia, Poland or even Czech or Ukraine. I think this is the currently held view, the site of the Kurgan culture. Migrations from here began around 3000 BC.

The question is that most of the genetic makeup of all Eurasia was formed before all these migrations (rather invasions by minorities of warriors) happened. There is an important concept that you are ignoring: that peoples accomodate to their ruling elites and eventually lose their language and even part of their usages to that of the ruling aristocracy, which may well be foreigner. This doesn't happen always (China is probably the best anti-example) but happens in most cases.

Also the invading elites, tend to get mixed with the locals and eventually fuse with them.

So the genetic flow that you're talking about doesn't exist or rather is minimal and hardly detectable.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ScythianEmpire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 09:47
Alright. You're confusing me since you are the Don of genetics on this forum. Are you saying there was no Scythian invasion that led to Scythian settlements, and eventual haplotype incorporation into the genome of what is modern day Pakistan?
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 09:54

Alright. You're confusing me since you are the Don of genetics on this forum. Are you saying there was no Scythian invasion that led to Scythian settlements, and eventual haplotype incorporation into the genome of what is modern day Pakistan?

N who R/Were the "Scythians".

Jai Badri Vishal
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ScythianEmpire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 11:49

"It is reasonably certain that at the beginning of the second millennium BCE, the speakers of the Proto-Indo-Iranian language moved from Ukraine to the southeast. From an archaeological point of view, their migration is attested in the change from the Yamnaya culture into the Andronovo culture.

They invaded the country that was later called Afghanistan, where they separated in an Iranian and an Indian branch. The first group settled in Aria, a name that lives on in our word 'Iran', where they settled after 1000 BCE; the second group reached the Punjab c.1500 BCE.

http://www.livius.org/sao-sd/scythians/scythians.html 

I'm speculating the Pashtuns are from the Iranian division of the Scythians mixed with the Greeks before them, or from the original migration down to the region (the "third" group). The Parthian Empire were probably one of these two Scythian groups which ruled over Pakistan for a period of time.

Edited by ScythianEmpire
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ScythianEmpire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 13:11

The distribution of HG 3 in Iran shows marked differences between western and eastern provinces (southwestern Caspian [3%] vs. eastern provinces [31%]) (fig. 1B), with a decreasing-frequency cline towards India (Pakistan [32%], northern India [26%]). When the very low frequencies of HG 3 in the Middle East (Hammer et al. 2000) are taken into account, the frequency pattern of HG 3 in southwestern Asia (table 1) supports the idea that Indo-European speakers spread from Central Asia into modern Iran via an eastern-Caspian route, as well as into India.

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/AJHG/journal/issues/v68n2/0 02418/002418.html?erFrom=2578114154671049651Guest  

Suggesting HG3 went from Afghanistan (Pathan branch), West to Iran (Iranian branch), and also East to Pakistan (Punjab) and India (Indian branch).

Edited by ScythianEmpire
khalid bin walid View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote khalid bin walid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 14:20

The Scythians were a proto-Turkic people residing in central Asia, also known as the Sakas, They contributed a large amount to the Slavic genepool of eastern Europe and pakistan/afghan and N/india. Vast hordes of these "barbarians" poured into the indus valley in the 1st cent. Ad, swamping the previous inhabitants in terms of numbers. Indeed, Pakistan and areas like Rajestan/gujerat are considered the most Scythian areas in the world. This may be seen in the genetic map above if Hg3 is a scythian marker. Perhaps genetically, these areas should more properly be considered turkic rather then indoid, if there is a difference between the two in the first place. Vast tribes like Gujars(khazars) are almost pure Turkic.

While a a general rule, I would agree with Maju and Cvalli-Sforza hypothesis that pre-existing populations settled in pre-history are little changed by small numbers of subsequent invaders(eg arabs in Sind), this is not case in areas where invaders were the first settlers. The area of pakistan known as punjab was a sparsely populated, thickly forested area at the time of Alexanders invasion. From this time on the Greeks founded numerous city colonies in the area (beucephalus, alexandria(uch sharif near lahore, taxila,Sialkot etc.). They even built city colonies in places with large preexisting populations like egypt (alexandria). Furthermore, unlike most other parts of the world, Hindu caste rigidity prevented large scale intermixing with the "Mlecchas". The Arab presence in southern Spain can still be detected in small amounts in the genetic background despite ethnic clensing policies of the Spanish. There are even clusters in the spanish mountains with a large moorish genotype(I forget the name of this community). While undeniably the Greek genepool has been diluted down to small amounts in Pathans etc., it may still be detectable in areas where there were significant Greek colonies, such as the areas around Taxilla and Sialkot,punjab in specific tribal subsections. This is an intriguing possibility for keen history enthusiasts. Ofcourse the difficulty is that both Scythian(majority pakistan I.E) and greek I.E share genetic I.E precursors, and so differentiating the two can be difficult. Similar case with Romans in Britain Perhaps enhanced genetic analysis techniques in the future will be more revealing.

Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 14:31

Saka spoke Indo-European languages, and languages related to Avestan.  Sialkot was the ancient Sakala/Sagala, not a Greek colony, but Indo-Scythian.

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
khalid bin walid View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote khalid bin walid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 14:58

Unquestionably they spoke an I.E language, however that does not exclude them from being genetic precursors to what were later called the central asian Turkic nations. You are confusing linguistic and genetic arguments. The scythian descendents in pakistan today speak indian languages and pashtuns an iranian language. However both have common precursors an a broad sense. Ofcourse there would have been a large I.E. element in those scythians but I believe this is a a central turkic trait. Those epthalite huns that invaded 5th cent.ad( also called white huns) were very caucasoid and iranic looking. So were those huns iranic or turkic. I think pashtuns are more turkic then iranian, it doesnt make pashtuns mongals necessarely.

Sialkot has a very ancient history going back to founding by raja sal of mahabarata fame. but was destroyed several times in history. at one time under House of Euthydemus and Menander, it was without question the epicenter of greek life in the subcontinent. However Alexanders biographers make no mention of a city on the eastern banks of chenab/hyphasis and yet they passed close to the area. 200 years later it was epicenter of indo-greek life. Later the sakas made it their capital as sakala and after them the huns capital under Mahirakula(famous for throwing elephants of cliffs for sport, nice!?). Who made this urban centre so important that its stayed for almost a thousand years. We can trace it back to the indo-greeks and no further.

And even if it was founded by someone else, there was a large greek presence/colony/settlement there

Edited by khalid bin walid
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 15:52

No. I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is that you can hardly be sure that such a distribution of genetic groups is due to that migration or happened earlier. Scholars, as Cavalli-Sforza,  that not long ago suggested that this or that distribution fitted with this or that known prehistorical or protohistorical or even fully historical migration now accept that most of that distribution is likely to have happened in Paleolithic times when the human tribes spread across Eurasia and that only a very small part of those genetic distributions have been caused by any ulterior migration of any kind.

One can have doubts about  scarcely populated regions such as Central Asia, with a clearly nomadic way of life but for such old agricultural regions like Pakistan, take for sure that about 80-95% of their genome arrived in Paleolithic or Neolithic times. And most migrations came from nearby areas that share some or most of their patterns, so the change wouldn't be noticeable and, in any case, it's not just about saying this or that haplogroup belongs to this or that nation.

Then, regarding the Scythians, I challenge you to diferentiate them from other IE migrations such as that of Aryans. You won't find any significant difference - in the case that you can actually identify the Scythian genetic patterns, as they are an extinct nation and in their many migrations they must have mixed with many peoples.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 16:01

The distribution of HG 3 in Iran shows marked differences between western and eastern provinces (southwestern Caspian [3%] vs. eastern provinces [31%]) (fig. 1B), with a decreasing-frequency cline towards India (Pakistan [32%], northern India [26%]). When the very low frequencies of HG 3 in the Middle East (Hammer et al. 2000) are taken into account, the frequency pattern of HG 3 in southwestern Asia (table 1) supports the idea that Indo-European speakers spread from Central Asia into modern Iran via an eastern-Caspian route, as well as into India.

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/AJHG/journal/issues/v68n2/0 02418/002418.html?erFrom=2578114154671049651Guest  

Suggesting HG3 went from Afghanistan (Pathan branch), West to Iran (Iranian branch), and also East to Pakistan (Punjab) and India (Indian branch).

This is just an interpretation. There are many reasons to think that those haplogroups spread not with recent events but with much more ancient ones. The most desertic areas would be dificult to say, as there the population has always been small and semi-nomadic but in the rich agricultural areas of Pakistan and India or Western Iran, with strong sedentary populations, the post-Neolithic demographic change must have always been limited. Those genetic groups are therefore there since at least Neolithic times (and possibly before) but may have seen an increase (or decrease) in their proportion with Indo European (and other) migrations.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ScythianEmpire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 17:17
Originally posted by khalid bin walid

The Scythians were a proto-Turkic people residing in central Asia, also known as the Sakas, They contributed a large amount to the Slavic genepool of eastern Europe and pakistan/afghan and N/india.

From what I have read, the Sakas (Kazackstan) were one of four Scythian tribes. the others being Sarmatian (Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan) and moved to Hungary), Sauromatian (Ukraine), and Pazyryk (Siberian) tribes? Of these, Sarmatians were probably Turkic, as well as Sakas. The Sauromatians are believed to be Iranic people. There was probably a movement down South and the Iranic tribe went the Caspian Sea route though Afghanistan and the Turkic tribes went  via the Punjab and perhaps Kashmir into India (appears to lack Haplotype I and E, which is present in high quantities in Eastern European populations, at least one of these Haplotypes in present in Pathans). The Pakistani gene pool correlates well with the Eastern European gene pool (Rosser et al), so there's some evidence to suggest much of the pre-existing population Pakistani genome changed by the Scythian invaders, shown below (which is where certain people start getting excited ) ;the Slavic and Pakistani populations show a good correlation here, indicating that the pre-existing possibly Greek gene pool was changed by the Scythian invading population, comments?

Edited by ScythianEmpire
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ScythianEmpire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 17:38
Looking at the last chart, if the Scythians did settle in Iran also, the gene pool clearly did not become incorporated as much so as it did into the Pakistani gene pool, or perhaps it changed at a later date.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>