Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On the subject of Taiwan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On the subject of Taiwan
    Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 03:53

Well, I wrote this to reply to fastspawn in another section.  But I think this is where this post should be.  So I moved it.  I welcome logical and evidence giving discussions.  After all, that's what this forum is for.  Han-Zi in this post are encoded in Big-5 traditional.  Original post goes as follows:

to fastspawn,

The Chinese government did not just say the land is a apart of china. They taught their children saying they are all historically Chinese in both blood and culture. Here the word  "they" can be changed from Uyghurs, Tibetans, Taiwanese and any other "Chinese and always has beens".

Most Taiwanese are not Chinese. Taiwan, Formosa, was first permanently discovered and named by the Portuguese. Then partly occupied by the Dutch, the Spanish and invaded by the French, American and Japanese. Dutch people were actually the people that started immigrating Chinese to Taiwan. They imported poor Chinese people along the coast of China to work for them, much like what the Spanish did in the Philippines and other European powers did in South East Asia. When the Dutch people arrived in Taiwan, Taiwan was entirely inhabited by the Austronesian tribes.

Dutch people even gave the Silaya tribe writing inorder to preach to them. Silayan writing continued to the end of Qing dynasty.  Many sales documents were written both in Silayan and Chinese.  The Dutch estimated the aboriginal population to be around 600 to 700 thousands, which was an underestimation due to the lack of knowledge of Mountainous area and the East coast aboriginals. When the Chinese people came to China, they are mostly male. Much like those Chinese male brought to America to build the transcontinental rail roads. This continued when the Qing dynasty occupied Taiwan.

The Dutch-Singkang bilingul Bible printed by Dutch preacher Daniel Graviuse for Silayans who lived in the Tainan area.  (Sorry I tried to look for a bigger picture, I have the book with large pictures of it but I am still saving money for my Canon SLR Rebel EOS).  For those who speaks Austronesian languages:

Matthew 1:1

Soulat ki kavouytan ti Juzus Christus, ka na alak ti Davis, ka na alak ti Abraham.

Matthew 6:22

'Æuyng ki vouäl ta matta; Irou rou mapaæhpæuh mariang ta matta oho, doumiaka ma ymd'-âl-ato maræmæh ta vouäl-oho.

alak: Son, descendent

vouäl: Body

matta: eyes

The Chinese male came to Taiwan in hope of making a living and return to China with wealth. However, most of them were just as broke in Taiwan as they were in China and never returned. Most of them ended up marrying the aboriginals. Therefore there's a Taiwanese saying 「有唐山公,無唐山嬤」 "These are only Grandpas from China, no Grandmas from China". Due to the lack of writing, and the concept of ownership like most Austronesians, the strong Chinese culture influence eventually assimilated most of the aboriginals who lived along the coast (平埔族 Ping-Pu aboriginals). That is why average Taiwanese has 80% of Austronesian traits show by the recent DNA tests. Most Taiwanese people are still Austronesians. The all 700 thousand didn't just all disappear to occupy less than 2% of the Taiwanese population.

You can argue that culturally most Taiwanese are similar to those of Han Chinese. However, having the same culture does not mean they are the same country or they have always been the same country or entitle any nation to claim another nation as its territory. Germany and Austria are different nations there are many examples that just because people spoke the same language or came from the same place, doesn't mean they have to be one nation.

China claims that Taiwan has always been an inseparable part of China historically. I seriously doubt their understanding of the word always. Here's "some Chinese documents" proving Taiwan is not always part of China.

一六○三年沈有容出兵台南剿倭寇時,隨軍的陳第就說,台灣非中國 的版圖,因倭寇盤踞以騷擾福建,所以才出兵。同時的陳學伊甚至說 :「假令不有沈將軍今日之巨功,吾泉人猶未知有所謂東番(按即台 灣)也。」

In 1603, General Shen You-Rong went to Tainan to rid of the pirates. The recorder Chen Di wrote "Taiwan is not a part of China. It is because of the Japanese pirates settling here, forcing us to come here. Recorder Chen Xue-Yi wrote "If not for General Shen You-Rong's successful military action, even a QuanZhou, FuJian person like me, wouldn't know of the existence of DongFan (Eastern Barbarians, referring to Taiwan).

《明史》〈外國列傳〉「雞籠山在澎湖嶼東北,故名北港,又名東番 ,去泉州甚邇。…」

Keelang (Northern Taiwan, name comes from the tribe called Ketagalan) is to the northeast of Pescadores islands, used to be known as BeiGang (Port of North), also known as DongFan (Eastern Barbarians). It is quiet far from QuanZhou, FuJian.

-- Ming Shi (History of Ming Dynasty)
Taiwan was listed along with Japan, Corea, RyuKyo and Vietnam. Obviously not a part of China.

雍正元年,憲皇帝即位,詔曰:「台灣自古不屬中國,我 皇考神武(即康熙帝)遠屆,拓入版圖。... 」
--清•魏源:【聖武紀略】的【康熙重定台灣記】

The first Year of Yung-Zheng, Emperor Xian sit in the thorn, he stated: "Taiwan was not a part of China since the ancient times. Our Emperor KaoShenWu (referring to Emperor KangXi) has great influence, expanded our territory to include it..."

--Qing Dynasty. Wei Yuan: "Kang Xi taking Taiwan" from The Military achievements of KangXi (Sheng Wu Ji Lue)

The Dutch actually didn't want Taiwan at first. They wanted Pescadores Islands (now 澎湖 Penghu islands owned by Taiwan) in between China and Taiwan, which was a part of China since the Mongolian Yuan dynasty. The Dutch and the Ming dynasty had a war in 1622 over Pescadores. In 1624, Ming dynasty and Dutch came to agreement when Ming dynasty suggested the Dutch go to the ownerless island (well, it was owned by the aboriginals and some Japanese-Chinese pirates) of Taiwan. In 1626, Spanish occupied the northern part of Taiwan, but was driven out by the Dutch in 1642. The Spanish left behind some buildings and some names for places. For example 三貂角 (In Taiwanese, San Diao Go) which is Spanish name of San Diego.

San Dimingo, located in Tapei, built by the Spanish in 1629.  Sacked by the Dutch in 1642.  Taiwanese called it 紅毛城 (the Red hair castle).  It was later used as a British embassy during Qing dynasty.  The British actually owned this castle until 1972. When UK stopped formal relations with Taiwan, the castle was returned after some international negotiations. 

The Dutch was driven out of Taiwan by 鄭成功 Zheng Cheng-Gong (Cheng Xing-Gong, a.k.a KoSingYa). He is the son of a Chinese pirate, and was born in Japan by his Japanese mother. His father surrendered to Ming Dynasty when Ming Dynasty bought him out with money for him to be a general of China. When the Manchurians invaded the Ming Dynasty, Zheng's father surrendered again to the Manchurians. Zheng refused to give up the fight and disowned his father. He continued fighting the Manchurians, eventually losing all the mainland grounds.

He turned his attention to Taiwan where his father sometime hid to avoid capture. The Dutch has build two fortresses, Zeelandia and Provintia. Where the Dutch believed the enemy came only approach from one direction. However an Chinese worker informed Zheng of an secret water way. When Zheng arrived under full moon and high tide, this secret water way opened up, and he was able to surprise the Dutch and force them to surrender. His invasion of Taiwan was successful. However, his grandson forced general 施琅 Shi Lang to defect to the Manchurian Qing dynasty. Shi took the Qing navy down the same path Zheng went, and Zheng's grandson surrendered Taiwan to the Qing dynasty.

Qing dynasty actually didn't make Taiwan a province of China until the 1885, almost the end of Qing dynasty, when Taiwan was wanted by the Europeans and the Japanese. In 1884, France invaded Taiwan along with Vietnam. The Qing dynasty was able to drive them out of both places, neither were part of China. However Qing dynasty realized the importance of China and made Taiwan an province the following month.

By the end of Qing dynasty it was absolute humiliation for the Chinese empire. In 1894, Corea was invaded by Japan. Qing dynasty went to Corean's aid and was defeated by the Europeanized Japan. Qing dynasty was forced to sign 馬關條約, The Treaty of Shimonoseki (known in Japan as 下關條約). In which Qing China "permanently" gave Taiwan to Japan. The Chinese representative 李鴻章 Lee Hung-Zhang wrote to the Qing court saying the people in Taiwan are simply barbarians. It is not a big deal of giving up Taiwan, because in Taiwan 「男無情,女無義,鳥不語,花不香」 "Their man has no loyalty. Their woman has no self-respect. Their birds don't sing. Their flowers don't have fragrance."

The Taiwanese rebel upon the Japanese invasion. It declared its independence call called itself 台灣民主國, Republic Nation of Taiwan.  The Chinese leader of the resistance first hoped that the Europeans would come to their aid, when they discovered the Europeans and Americans had no interests in helping them, they fled back to China. However the people of Taiwan fought on. They at one point killed the Japanese royalty in charge of the invasion. At the end, the resistance fought by the Han-Taiwanese and the aboriginal Taiwanese failed.

The flag of Republic Nation of Taiwan.  If the resistance was a success, it would have been the first republic nation in Asia.

However other resistance movements never stopped. The most famous is the rebellion of the Atayal Tribe, led by Monaludo. The Japanese had to use the chemical weapons to kill them in their hiding place.

There's more on this topic that I can write another thread just as long, explaining the international treaties after World War 2 that granted Taiwan's future is for Taiwanese people to decide in the future. Also explaining how the Nationalist Chinese party (Guo Ming Dang) has suppressed the Taiwanese people by means of a police state and misrepresented Taiwan for 45 years. The nationalist can claim as much as they want that China is still under their control. But they are delusional, any idiot knows that is not true and will never be true again. If you want to read about that, I'll write those some other time.

Today Taiwan is a completely free and democratic nation. China points about 500 missiles along their coast line, pointing towards Taiwan.  That is the most fortified coast line today in the world.  Yet they claim it is the Taiwanese disturbing the peace, while they deny Taiwan from every international organization, even that of the World Health Organization during the height of the SARS out break.

In my personal opinion, the real reason for Chinese to claim Taiwan is for its military strategic importance. Right now the Chinese navy has no free entrance into the Pacific. It is blocked by Corea, Japan, RyuKyu to the north, Taiwan and Philippines to the south. China is eagerly building up their navy, especially in its carriers and anti-carrier forces. If Taiwan is part of China, its only purpose is to serve China as the lunching base of its navy into the pacific. And By doing so, China can become a real world power.

Edited by hansioux
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 04:39

Hey Hansioux,

This helps explain the Koguryo deal.  Call me a Conspiracy theorist, but we have a reasonably cause to suspect an agenda there: Korea can also serve as a strategic post.

Peace,

Michael

8-30-2004

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 04:48

I still don't think what is going on with this Koguryo thing is a Chinese propaganda.   

But if it is, maybe the Chinese government knows something about North Corea that we don't.

Maybe Kim Jong-il has just been replaced by a Terminator from the future and is set out for the machine take over.  And China wants to save the world while not to be misunderstood as an invading army.  So it is trying to prepare the rest of the world to see their heroic, self-sacraficing act as re-unification.

Edited by hansioux
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 04:55

Hey Hansioux,

Save the world from.... North Korea?  Aren't you giving the Commies (both Chinese and Korean) a lil too much credit here?  Just how exactly does NK threaten the world anymore than American and China, both have nukes that can destroy the world many times over?

It's time to clear our eyes and see: Hussein and Kim Jong-il are not nearly as fanatical as Bush and Cheney.  Funny thing is that no one really fears America.  Everyone just hates its guts.

But everyone who has lived or is living in America can easily notice that Americans are paranoid.  Americans really fear everybody.  Partly it's like the pressure that Mark Mcquire felt when he was hitting all those home runs -- everyone is looking up to you, and many are threatening to replace you.  The trick is how America uses this fear on its own people.  It sounds like you're familiar with American culture, so you must know how much we are instilled with the ideas that Blacks are violent, terrorists are around the corner, and Asians and Mexicans are taking over the job market.  There isn't a single propaganda that doesn't involve fear.  National security justifies every effort to blow any country back to the stone age.  Now can you say that China isn't trying to be America?  (China is also quite obssessed with national security.)

Peace,

Michael

8-30-2004

I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 05:05

I've heard that China is looking to move into North Korea when it collapses, and the Koguryo thing is to prepare for that..

but of course, I heard this on Korean internet, that huge thingy where info spread so very quickly, whether it be true or BS, so I can't be sure if its correct or not..

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 05:07

Hey I/eye,

Well, there's no "true" or "untrue" in this case.  When it happens it would be true.  The Koreans you are talking about do sound very paranoid, but I can't help but think that there's some rationality in that fear.  Well, at least for now China is busy in the money making stage.

Peace,

Michael

8-30-2004

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 05:15

No Michael!  Save the world from the machines!  Didn't you ever watch Terminator, featuring our governor?

I actually don't view America that way.  I actually view America the same way South Park views America.  It is just a place who allows both voices, so that when they do something you can't really blam America, because many Americans is against it to begin with.

MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 05:41

Hey Hansioux,

That's why America is the master of Fascist manipulation.  I know I like to use that term a lot, but trust me, I don't use it just to sound cool.  Academically speaking, Fascism is a method of control.  If you can find it online, look up Mussolini's definition of what it is (although much of this document is just emotional garbage.)  What comes through clearly in this document is the basic premise of Fascism: humanity is not supposed to be equal; the few who are intellectually and morally best should rule.  Thus the method of control is to pit one group against another: let them compete and let the strong prevail.  American politics is all about that: the government pit the Whites against Blacks, conservatives against liberals, all under the disguise of Democracy.  Although Fascism is a critique of Democracy, in practice they are very similar: they both involve competitions of interests, and the victory of the stronger group, just that in the case of a Democracy, the strong group is strong because of its strength in number.  (I'm really trying to get into trouble with the FBI am I.)  Btw, where in CA do you live

Peace,

Michael

8-30-2004

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 06:35

I studied in Irvine.  Now I am in San Jose.

To be honest.  I know black and white are not equal in all fronts just yet.  But it is really not as bad as before.  Things are continously changing.  That's good.  No one is happy with what have been achieved so far.  The most important thing now is not about the races, is about how to improve the Urban areas and get kids from the city more chances to education.

Actually, black people are getting all the cool stereo-types now... since all the negative stereo-types have been proven wrong.  Now we just need to prove not all of them can dance, and sing like Usher, and hung like a horse for the benefit of other races.  WE ARE ALL EQUAL DAMN IT!......  At least I am

MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 07:02

Hey Hansioux,

Ah, Irvine.  No wonder you're so optimistic about the racial situation in America.

I studied in Berkeley, and of the five years (yes, that is right, five, I bummed around a lot) I spent there, one thing I learned is to never be comfortable with anything -- even the notion of never being comfortable with anything.  When something is too good to be true, challenge it.

You're right about one thing: education and urban.  The problem with this system is that we don't JUST go ahead and improve the cities and drag kids to school.  Without business opportunities no one is gonna invest in the cities, without investment we cannot improve the cities.  The governments cannot fund these improvements without taxpayers' money, but taxpayers do not want to fund things that are not profitable.  The same goes for education.  But you have correctly located the exact location of the problem: it is structural.  Social mobilility is literally a lack of locational mobility -- moving from the cities to the suburb.

The success of Bush's administration lies in the ability of the Republicans to strike fear: we have a lot of crimes, we have a lot of terrorists, we have a lot of immigrants stealing our jobs.  So let's not blame the government for the bad economy; let's not try to understand how capitalism works; let's not try to understand that a capitalist system goes through cycles of growth and recession;  let's just blame it on someone else.  Let's blame the declining supremacy of America on religious fanatics.  Let's blame the weakening American values on non-religious liberals.  You've heard of the Bacon rebellion, right?  It was a rebellion headed by an African American, leading both poor Black and White farmers against the government.  From then on America learned an important lesson: divide and conquer.  No matter how poor Whites become, as long as they are taught that "we ain't Black" they feel better with themselves.  Now that's pitting one group against another.  Now that's Fascist.

One note about stereotypes: there is no cool stereotype.  Every stereotype has a catch: it objectifies someone into the "other."  The super cool and the super dorky are both abnormal: the truly "right" people are the ones who are mainstream.  Mainstream America can listen to all the hip hop they want, watch all the Kung Fu movies they want, but when it comes to real issues such as political participation and business opportunities, it belongs the mainstream -- the normal people.  The other cool people are just objects of admiration, they are just commodities.

Peace,

Michael

8-30-2004

Edited by MengTzu
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 07:39

Don't forget there are two equal forces in the main stream.  But they are all mostly white.  But dont forget.... white people do have the number advantage.  Like I said thing are changing.  The lack of social mobility is changing.  and I hope it will continue to change. 

I had my share of lefty soci-professors, I read my All the presidents spin.  One thing I've noticed though.  Most of the lefties in the 70s are now conservatives.  Then I realized it is actually an age thing more than anything.  When you are young and don't have a stake in anything, it's easier to critisize everything.  Then when you are getting old, you want to protect what you have so you'll have some stability.

In your opinion, what is the reason of the decrease of the American supremecy?  I rather enjoyed it.  Personally I think the only reason for the decrease of the American supremecy is the end of the cold car.  After cold war's over, who needs America?

Irvine is a great place to live no?  After Irvine, everywhere else in America looks like sh*t.

fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 10:18
Ok, its barely a few hours and none of the posts truly are a reply to the original intent of hansioux posts. Instead degenetrating into Korean/Chinese Nationalism.

You have some quotes on why Taiwan is not a part of China at points in their history. That much is true. But you must remember that the current government in power is a product of the Civil War in China. It was not a product of revolution amongst the Aborines in Taiwan.

Anyway, of the top of my head, Taiwan has on/off being a province of China. During the End of the Ming Dynasty, the seat of the government in exile was headed by the ZHeng Family, (coxinga, zheng cheng-gong), and when it was finally taken over again, it was under the government of the Qing. I don't remember at anytime there being a national identity of Taiwanese, e.g. an intent to statehood, an intent at diplomatic relations with China as a sovereign state. Even if there was was it as a subordinate or a vassal?
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 14:13
Taiwan can't become part of China...noooo! we've already lost Hongkong, we can't lose another stronghold of Chinese democracy!
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 14:57

"The Chinese government did not just say the land is a apart of china. They taught their children saying they are all historically Chinese in both blood and culture. Here the word  "they" can be changed from Uyghurs, Tibetans, Taiwanese and any other "Chinese and always has beens"."

No they haven't, find me a source that the PRC claim taiwan based on blood, all of them is clearly based on international treaty and the international law of possession.

"Most Taiwanese are not Chinese. Taiwan, Formosa, was first permanently discovered and named by the Portuguese. Then partly occupied by the Dutch, the Spanish and invaded by the French, American and Japanese. Dutch people were actually the people that started immigrating Chinese to Taiwan. They imported poor Chinese people along the coast of China to work for them, much like what the Spanish did in the Philippines and other European powers did in South East Asia. When the Dutch people arrived in Taiwan, Taiwan was entirely inhabited by the Austronesian tribes.

Dutch people even gave the Silaya tribe writing inorder to preach to them. Silayan writing continued to the end of Qing dynasty.  Many sales documents were written both in Silayan and Chinese.  The Dutch estimated the aboriginal population to be around 600 to 700 thousands, which was an underestimation due to the lack of knowledge of Mountainous area and the East coast aboriginals. When the Chinese people came to China, they are mostly male. Much like those Chinese male brought to America to build the transcontinental rail roads. This continued when the Qing dynasty occupied Taiwan."

When China says its historically belong to it, it doesn't mean all of history, its irrelevant whether prior to the 17th century China controlled it or not, but whats true is that afterwads China did control it and at the end of world war 2 the treaty of Shimoseki is nullified and declared invalid and The San Francisco meeting amongs the winner of the war, decide to return Taiwan and Manchuria to "Legitimate goverment of China".

"The Taiwanese rebel upon the Japanese invasion. It declared its independence call called itself 台灣民主國, Republic Nation of Taiwan.  The Chinese leader of the resistance first hoped that the Europeans would come to their aid, when they discovered the Europeans and Americans had no interests in helping them, they fled back to China. However the people of Taiwan fought on. They at one point killed the Japanese royalty in charge of the invasion. At the end, the resistance fought by the Han-Taiwanese and the aboriginal Taiwanese failed.

The flag of Republic Nation of Taiwan.  If the resistance was a success, it would have been the first republic nation in Asia."

I wonder if you don't know it or just purposely leave it out, but Liu Yong Fu is a Chinese not Taiwanese, and after he established the Republic for a brief moment, guess what name he gave to his regime? Its called Yong Qing: translated as forever loyal to Qing. So much for an indenpendent nation.

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 17:42

To Warhead,

JIANG ZEMINS EIGHT POINTS ON TAIWAN

Stressing that the Chinese should not fight among themselves, Jiang indicated that the use of military force cannot be discarded, but will only be directed at foreign powers who would interfere in the reunification process and engage in a Taiwan independent plot(Point 4).

The 5,000 year-old Chinese culture, a spiritual link holding together Chinas sons and daughters, was then hailed as an important basis for reunification (Point 6).

There's a lot more.  Just hard to find them in English.  I am sorry, but that's what the PRC has ALWAYS said about the Taiwanese people.  They do so on international venues and they do so ever more at home.

The Treaty of San Francisco never returned Taiwan to China.  The Shimoseki treaty was never nullified.  Japan simply gave up Manchuria and Taiwan.  Where in the Shimoseki treaty ever mentioned giving Manchuria to Japan anyway?  Why should the nulification of Shimoseki effect Japan's ownership of Manchuria? This is what the treaty actually said:

CHAPTER II

TERRITORY

Article 2

(a) Japan recognizing the independence of Korea, renounces all right, title and claim to Korea, including the islands of Quelpart, Port Hamilton and Dagelet.

(b) Japan renounces all right, title and claim to Formosa and the Pescadores.

(c) Japan renounces all right, title and claim to the Kurile Islands, and to that portion of Sakhalin and the islands adjacent to it over which Japan acquired sovereignty as a consequence of the Treaty of Portsmouth of 5 September 1905.

(d) Japan renounces all right, title and claim in connection with the League of Nations Mandate System, and accepts the action of the United Nations Security Council of 2 April 1947, extending the trusteeship system to the Pacific Islands formerly under mandate to Japan.

(e) Japan renounces all claim to any right or title to or interest in connection with any part of the Antarctic area, whether deriving from the activities of Japanese nationals or otherwise.

(f) Japan renounces all right, title and claim to the Spratly Islands and to the Paracel Islands.

So, where was this nulification of Shimoseki?  They simply gave up their claim over it.

Now let's recall why Japanese surrendered Taiwan to the Nationalist China and not the Americans:

Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek, leader of the Chinese military region, had been the Supreme Allied Commander in the Asia Region during the war; on October 25 1945, Chiang sent representatives to Taiwan, and represented the Allied Forces at the ceremony accepting Japan's surrender of "the Chinese Theater's Taiwan Province," and temporarily took over control of Taiwan and the Penghu region after the departure of the Japanese Taiwan Governor's Office.

Chiang accpected the Japanese surrender on the Allies behave, not the ROC.  Sine in San Francisco Treaty, Japan only forfeited their claim to Taiwan but actually never said who has the right to Taiwan.  The situation of Taiwan is much like those of Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste and other disputed lands that was forcefully over taken by the one of the Allies.  Theoretically, the future resolution of the Taiwan issue should be carried out, according to the aims and principles of the UN Charter, and under the principle of self-determination by its inhabitants, by means of a public referendum, which would ask about the direction desired by the inhabitants of the region, before a verdict can be reached.

In fact the PRC knows if they go with the San Francisco treaty, they will lose their claim to Taiwan.  That is why the PRC have expressed their disreguard of the the San Francisco treaty due to the lack in presence of a Chinese representative.

Finally on the note of The Republic Nation of Taiwan.  I did not forget to mention that the first leaders were in fact Qing dynasty appointed officials.  I mentioned that they ran away from the first day of the battle.  The Taiwanese people fouhgt on without these Qing dynasty people telling them what to do.  There are journals of this period that shows people weren't fighting to be part of China.  They were just fighting NOT to be part of Japan. 

In fact the aboriginals and the Han-Taiwanese have worked together for the first time in fighting the Japanese.  There was a battle on Mabanban mountain, where the Taiwanese set a trap to push the Japanese down the mountain when they pass through the narrow passage.  These Atayal aboriginals were definately not fighting to be part of Qing dynasty again.  The matter of fact is, the Qing dynasty forces in Taiwan all gave up with out a fight, whether in Taipei, or in Tainan.  It was the Taiwanese people, whether they were Hakka or Holo, were the ones who really fought the war from Keelung all the way to Jia-Yi.

So, Mr. Warhead please re-examine the evidence.

Edited by hansioux
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 18:10

Hey Hansioux,

You wrote, "Don't forget there are two equal forces in the main stream.  But they are all mostly white.  But dont forget.... white people do have the number advantage.  Like I said thing are changing.  The lack of social mobility is changing.  and I hope it will continue to change."

The fact that there are two countering forces only prove my point.  American politics thrive on pitting one against the other.  The connotation here is very subtle, but it amounts to the need for an imaginery enemy.  The American government instills into the minds of the people that there is something to overcome, and in that way people will have solidarity and support for the government.

You wrote, "In your opinion, what is the reason of the decrease of the American supremecy?  I rather enjoyed it.  Personally I think the only reason for the decrease of the American supremecy is the end of the cold car.  After cold war's over, who needs America?"

That's exactly what I'm talking about.  Without a gigantic threat, who needs superman anymore?  That's why Bush is digging up the whole Middle East -- I mean, come on, one cannot possibly believe that Bush went to war solely because he really believes that there are WMD in Iraq (they ain't found none) and that Al Qaeda was supported by Hussein (they found that Hussein refused to help Al Qaeda.)  Was it revenge?  May be.  Was it oil?  Absolutely, but there's more to it.  They need to achieve the stability of the past, when the US stands as the champion against evil.  First against Axis, then against USSR.  Now it's the Middle East, and my guess is that China is next.  (Think about it, China is America's biggest nightmare as one of my professors put it.  It's improving rapidly even when everyone else is in economic recession.  Anyone famililar with Cold War tactics would know that America's assistance to Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, and attempt to make Vietnam democratic, was to form a ring of military bases against China and Russia.  The same reason that the US put such people as Hussein into power and trained the Taliban -- it was to put a threat to the West of China and South of Russia.  Now they don't have to worry about Russia anymore, of course, and China is next.  Hussein and Taliban, the old pawns of America, have turned against America, so they need to be taken care of first in order for America to establish their military bases there.)

Irvine is the best place in America?  Well, I do know that if you dig White chicks, you go to UC Santa Barbara, and if you dig Asian hoochies, you go to UC Irvine =)

Peace,

Michael

8-30-2004

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 18:26

Originally posted by fastspawn

Ok, its barely a few hours and none of the posts truly are a reply to the original intent of hansioux posts. Instead degenetrating into Korean/Chinese Nationalism.

You have some quotes on why Taiwan is not a part of China at points in their history. That much is true. But you must remember that the current government in power is a product of the Civil War in China. It was not a product of revolution amongst the Aborines in Taiwan.

Anyway, of the top of my head, Taiwan has on/off being a province of China. During the End of the Ming Dynasty, the seat of the government in exile was headed by the ZHeng Family, (coxinga, zheng cheng-gong), and when it was finally taken over again, it was under the government of the Qing. I don't remember at anytime there being a national identity of Taiwanese, e.g. an intent to statehood, an intent at diplomatic relations with China as a sovereign state. Even if there was was it as a subordinate or a vassal?

To fastspawn...

Well, the government during the Chinese civil war era actually invaded Taiwan as I explain on the above thread.  The nationalist government had no claim over taiwan.  But since then Japan also made a separate peace treaty after the San Francisco treaty with the nationalist Chinese.  It didn't say Taiwan will be given to the ROC.  In fact it said the exact samething as the San Francisco treaty. 

But since the death of Jiang kai-shek and his son, the current government has became a true democracy.  Where the people of Taiwan can choose their own leaders, elect officials, even hold referendums.  It structuraly shared some fundations of the nationalist invaders, but it has became a Taiwanese government.

Zheng's forces occupied as much land as the dutch.  Taiwan was still a true Austronesian island.

The following is not directed at anyone, especially not to fastspawn.  One thing I found to my dismay is often times people say there was never Taiwanese determination.  Just because the Aboriginals didn't understand the international laws, just because they didn't have the modern sense of ownership, they still owned and ruled this island. 

People are sounding like colonialist saying if only aboriginals lived there, and no "real" countries claimed it, then this island is up for grabs.  Sure that's what people did back in the 1600s when the aboriginals were considered less than human, but it is 2004 today!!  Why are there still people who talk like a freaking racists when it comes to these kind of issues?

Taiwan was an Austronesian society, operated under Austronesian rules.  They have determination.  That's why everytime there's an invasion, they rebel.  That's why the get massacared and that's why the Dutch, the Chinese and the Japanese tries so hard to make them forget they are Aboriginals.

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 18:58

"

Stressing that the Chinese should not fight among themselves, Jiang indicated that the use of military force cannot be discarded, but will only be directed at foreign powers who would interfere in the reunification process and engage in a Taiwan independent plot(Point 4).

The 5,000 year-old Chinese culture, a spiritual link holding together Chinas sons and daughters, was then hailed as an important basis for reunification (Point 6)."

All I see is the speak of cultural link(not blood) thats an "important basis" for a reunification, there is nothing said about Taiwan is definitely China because they share the same ancestor or the like. China's claim over Taiwan is clearly based on international agreements and nothing more.

"o

So, where was this nulification of Shimoseki?  They simply gave up their claim over it."

Giving up their territory indicate that the treaty of Shimnoseki is nullified since Japan no longer has a claim over it, Soverignty of Taiwan is already transfered from Japan under instrument of surrender of Japan, its irrelevant that Taiwan's sovereign is not explicitly stated in the treaty since the ROC occupied it as De facto and no other nations objected to it.

"Finally on the note of The Republic Nation of Taiwan.  I did not forget to mention that the first leaders were in fact Qing dynasty appointed officials.  I mentioned that they ran away from the first day of the battle.  The Taiwanese people fouhgt on without these Qing dynasty people telling them what to do.  There are journals of this period that shows people weren't fighting to be part of China.  They were just fighting NOT to be part of Japan. 

In fact the aboriginals and the Han-Taiwanese have worked together for the first time in fighting the Japanese.  There was a battle on Mabanban mountain, where the Taiwanese set a trap to push the Japanese down the mountain when they pass through the narrow passage.  These Atayal aboriginals were definately not fighting to be part of Qing dynasty again.  The matter of fact is, the Qing dynasty forces in Taiwan all gave up with out a fight, whether in Taipei, or in Tainan.  It was the Taiwanese people, whether they were Hakka or Holo, were the ones who really fought the war from Keelung all the way to Jia-Yi."

You still fail to answer to the very point that the regime was called Yong Qing, obviously they declare their loyalty to Qing and would not have done so had they desired independence at the time.

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 19:00

"Finally on the note of The Republic Nation of Taiwan.  I did not forget to mention that the first leaders were in fact Qing dynasty appointed officials.  I mentioned that they ran away from the first day of the battle.  The Taiwanese people fouhgt on without these Qing dynasty people telling them what to do.  There are journals of this period that shows people weren't fighting to be part of China.  They were just fighting NOT to be part of Japan"

No, Liu Yong Fu, the leader of the black banner regiment of sino-vietnam war and later the leader of Taiwan movement was not Taiwanese nor was he officially under the service of Qing, but he did declare the republic of Taiwan to be a Qing vassal after its brief gained independence and thats a fact.

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 19:03

I like my girls Southeast Asian v_v

haha~

anyway, I don't mind the lesser of the two evils.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>