Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Byzantine Emperor(dates of reign in parenthesis)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Who is your favorite Byzantine emperor?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [14.29%]
8 [57.14%]
4 [28.57%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Byzantine Emperor(dates of reign in parenthesis)
    Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 20:04
I'd have to go with Justinian largely because of his efforts in rebuilding the Roman empire and how his general Belisarus was able to return the favor to the Vandals (who sacked Rome under their king Genseric and were able to maintain control of Carthage throughout his reign).  Though ultimately doomed, he did surround himself with people like Belisarus that achieved much of what he wanted.
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2004 at 13:45
I love Justinian I, despite all of his mistakes.

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Romano Nero View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Romano Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 07:10

Yes, Justinian weakened and overextended the state so much, that in nearly fell to the Persian in the next generation... until Heraclius rose and saved the empire.

Heraclius is a great omission in your list, btw. I settled with Basil II, as he was even more succesful. The other really succesful Byzantine Emperor was Alexios I Comnenus and in such a poll I would be obliged to include the names of John Comnenus and Nicephorus Phokas.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 06:55
Justinian was a great builder and a great leader. Maybe he did not succeed in what he dreamed of, but he shore did som great difference to the history!
faram View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote faram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 16:30
I have voted to Justinian I, to some people his reign was terrible for the Empire, but it was a golden age thanks to Belisarius 
Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 23:41
I voted for Constantine the Great. He basically created the empire that aould be identified as 'byzantine' in history books.
mauk4678 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote mauk4678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 08:38
Woops! I didn't see the other poll on this exact same thing.
mauk4678 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote mauk4678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 22:29
And Please state your reasons in a post!
 Post Reply Post Reply