Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe worst genocide in modern history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Poll Question: which one is the worst genocide of modern history
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
160 [21.92%]
150 [20.55%]
106 [14.52%]
16 [2.19%]
191 [26.16%]
107 [14.66%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The worst genocide in modern history
    Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 09:17
there are many genocides in history. Which one is the worst one in terms of the number of people killed and the process and vb....
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 11:19
chinese genocide under mao zedong....
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Moller View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 11:53

What about a other catagory or more opportunities...

Worst genocide: Stalin's genocides towards the soviets

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 12:37
What is Circassian genocide?
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 12:45
Jewish genocide.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 12:59
Pol Pot's genocide of Cambodians
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 16:18
Worst genocide in terms of sheer numbers has to be the Jewish Holocaust. The worst one, in terms of ideology and historical significance, is the Armenian Genocide. The fact that it remained unrecognized prompted Adolf Hitler to try genocide himself.

Before the invasion of Poland, Hitler's troops told him that a genocide of the Jewish people would not be tolerated by western powers. Hitler replied, "Who now remembers the annihilation of the Armenians?". The rest is history.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 16:40
As nobody has voted for the "gypsy" genocide yet, I'd like to mention that during the Nazi occupation of Germany and Europe, 500.000 Sinti and Roma people were murdered.
How many other fell victim to persecution all over Europe before and after, I don't know.
Some countries in Europe still practise a silent or systematic discrimination of Sinti and Roma, especially Slovakia and Rumania have been critised, not to mention Kosovo, which is especially tragic, as this region was part of the former Yugoslavia, where under Tito's rule it was the first country in the world to recognise Sinti and Roma as an official ethnic minority and helped to promote and secure their cultural heritage with schools, newspapers and television and radio stations.

Apart from that, the Jewish Holocaust must go down as the worst instance of genocide in history, not only because of its extent and the manner in which is was conducted, but it was probably the only one which had no other motive than the pathological hate of an entire race, no struggle for territory, political power etc., just fanatical racism.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 19:34

Originally posted by Oguzoglu

What is Circassian genocide?

Circassian means erkes in turkish. The genocide committed against the Circassian nation by Czarist Russia in the 1800s was the biggest genocide of the nineteenth century. Yet it has been almost entirely forgotten by later history, while everyone knows the later Jewish Holocaust . "Rather than of separate, selectively researched genocides, we should speak of a general genocidal tendency that affected many - both Muslim and Christian - people on a wide scene between 1856 and 1956, continuing in post-Soviet Russia until today.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 19:57

I also voted for the Armenian genocide. Not many Armenians were left to tell the world what happened. Now the Armenian genocide is getting recognised by the world. The Jewish genocide is more recent and is always in the media, therefore it's it's usually the 1st one people think of.

We should not forget there were also the Assyrian and Greek Pontic genocides as well.

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 04:10

Before the invasion of Poland, Hitler's troops told him that a genocide of the Jewish people would not be tolerated by western powers. Hitler replied, "Who now remembers the annihilation of the Armenians?". The rest is history

he did not,where is your proof for that????

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 04:12

We should not forget there were also the Assyrian and Greek Pontic genocides as well.

oh yeah,now comes the aborigin,maya,homo florensiensis(dunno the name),african,roman,viking genocides as well

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 05:25
Bosnian Genocide, because it was unorganised and savage (it was brutal executions and mass rapes ect..).

Edited by Exarchus
Vae victis!
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 05:40
Circassian.
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 06:03
what happened in the circassian one?

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 08:34

Originally posted by aknc

what happened in the circassian one?

Ethnic cleansing that was started in the Northern Caucasus by the Russians of the Tsar period following their defeat between the years of 1859 and 1864 with a big dislocation has turned out to be a case to be defined as genocide in the realm of international law.

The Tsar's Russia in the 19th century, the USSR in the 20th century, and now the Russian Federation have made it the fate of the north Caucasians to be exiled.

As a result of the settlement policy of the Russians in the North Caucasus, over one million Caucasians have been displaced in 1864.
Thousands have died on their cruise to the Ottoman lands, several ships full of exiled people have sank, thousand have got diseases; and many have become slaves and concubines. The land and other properties they left behind were given to the new settlers brought to their land, who were Russians and Cossacks brought their by the Russian authorities.

There are records that about 30% of the people deported from the ports on the Black Sea such as Taman, Tuapse, Anapa, Tsemez, Sochi, Adler, Sohum, Poti and Batum and destined to reach the Ottoman port cities of Trabzon, Ordu, Samsun, Sinop, Kefken, Varna, Kstence, Istanbul and the Aegean ports died on their way to these destinations.

For example, the Russia Consulate in Trabzon, one of the destination ports records in May 1864 that, 30, 000 people died of starvation or illnesses, people who got ill on board were dropped into the sea right away... and that one man in Trabzon where 3493, 124 people landed, was told to have taken 30 or 40 concubines. There are records that mass graves were found around these Ottoman shore cities.(1)

At those times the Russian Consulate in Trabzon, writes to the Russian general Katrachev who was in charge of the deportation to state that "70,000 thousand people have arrived in Batum to be sent to Turkey, around 7 die per day. On reaching Trabzon, 19,000 out of 24,700 died. There are 63,900 people there and about 180-250 of them die per day. Out of the 110,000 in Samsun about 200 die every day. I heard that out of those 4650 who were sent to Trabzon, Varna and Istanbul about 40-60 die per day." (2)

To avoid accusations of exile the Russian authorities try to present the case as migration. However, the decree sent to the Western Caucasians in August 1864 by the Tsar's representative in the area Granduke Mitchel why these people have had to face death, it reads: Those who do not leave in a month will be sent and located in several different parts of Russia as war captives." (3)

The dislocated Caucasian people were later settled in Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Israel, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Greece, Macedonia and Kosovo in brief in about 40 different regions in the world.

Russian, European and Ottoman records mention that between 1,2 million to 2 million people exiled during 1859 and 1879 years. About 500,000 people died during their cruise and after arriving to the Ottoman harbours.(4)

Those exiled were never let to go back to their homeland. Very few of their grand children who went to their home after the collapse of the USSR have had no authorities to turn to or any official will to claim their grandparent's heritage

1) "Papers Respecting the Settlement of Circassian Emigrants in Turkey", London Printed by Harrison and Sons.

2) Ibid

3) Berkok, General Ismail, Caucasus in History (1958), Istanbul Press, p. 526

4) Kemal Karpat, "The Status of the Muslim under European Rule: the Eviction and Settlement of the Cerkes", Journal of the Institute Minority Affairs, Vol.1, No:2.

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 10:00
that's bad

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 12:01
The genocide committed against the Circassian nation by Czarist Russia in the 1800s was the biggest genocide of the nineteenth century.

I think the death toll in the Congo Free State under Leopold II (8-10 million) was much higher.

Before the invasion of Poland, Hitler's troops told him that a genocide of the Jewish people would not be tolerated by western powers. Hitler replied, "Who now remembers the annihilation of the Armenians?". The rest is history.

That quote was about Poles, not about jews.
AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 18:03
the quote was never said at all either about the Jews or the Poles.

What Hitler supposedly said was:

"I have given orders to my Death Units to exterminate without mercy or pity men, women and children belonging to the Polish-speaking race. It is only in this manner that we can acquire the vital territory which we need. After all, who remembers today the extermination of the Armenians?"

He was supposed to have said that in a speech he gave in August 1939.
Three records of that speech exist.  Only one with that inclusion.  It was presented before the Judges at the Nurenburg trials.
Due to the very nature of the trials any evidence linked to the holocaust would you would think be easily accepted.
However due to the fact that there were many inconsistencies with the document (not just the "Hitler quote" but others) as well as the obscure origin of the dcument, it was handed to a newspaper from an unknown origin which the paper went on to publish, the Judges rejected it as evidence.
Official documents of what hitler said exist and he did not say that.  the document where it is mentioned as been before the courts, no less a trial than the Nurenberg trials, and was thrown out.  The quote by hitler is fake.

Ive noticed that even Armenian groups no longer refer to that quote anymore since its so baseless and cannot stand up to scrutiny in the courts.
This is only one of the many lies by supporters of the so called Armenian Genocide who try and rewrite history, in this case by trying to make out that the Turks gave some kind of inspiration to one of the most evil men in history.
Bullshit propaganda

Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 18:08
Jewish Genocide? The Holocaust was not just a holocaust againast Jews, but against alot of other "lower races" of Europe. I think the term Jewish Genocide, as a reference to the Holocaust, is not correct name.
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>