Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gunpowder Weapons and Military Architecture

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gunpowder Weapons and Military Architecture
    Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 22:04

I think it is fascinating how late medival and Renaissance architecture changed to accomodate the invention of gunpowder weapons.  Not only were city walls thickened and angled to deflect cannon shot, but towers were developed to contain cannon, hence we get artillery towers.  Military architects of Italian Republics came up with the angled bastion, designed to reflect cannon shot and to trap besieging forces in a cross of enfilading fire.  The immediate examples of gunpowder architecture that I can think of are Castel San Angelo in Rome, where Pope Clement VII stayed during the sack of Rome in 1527, the walls and towes outside the Kremlin in Russia, and some castles in Siena from the 16th century.

Do gunpowder weapons and military architecture interest anyone at the forum?  Do you have any good pictures of artillery towers and angled bastions that you can post?  I have found some online but may have missed others.

I am also looking for some examples of Ottoman military architecture that accomodates gunpowder weapons technology.  I have come across some information in a journal article and in a few small references in books.  Please post any recommendations and suggestions that you might have.

Let the discussion begin!

Argentum Draconis View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Argentum Draconis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 09:32
Who sacked Rome in 1527?
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 23:20

Originally posted by Argentum Draconis

Who sacked Rome in 1527?

Charles, duke of Bourbon could not pay his mercenary army after the battle of Pavia.  To compensate he allowed them to plunder and fourage in the Italian countryside.  They eventually tore through Rome and made the Pope Clement VII retreat to the Castel San Angelo, which is a fortification with cannon built on the tomb of the Roman emperor Hadrian.  What is ironic, becasue the duke of Bourbon was a Catholic ruler in the service of the Catholic emperor Charles V, was that his mercenaries were Protestant German landsnechts!

Now, Draconis, do you have an interest in this topic, Gunpowder Weapons and Military Architecture? 

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 19:32
I have an interest.  Have you read about the influence of engineering and military architecture in the progress of the "Military Revolution?"
PatriotMan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote PatriotMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2005 at 02:34
hope this link works...

its not all about gun towers but it has some facinating stuff
http://www.google.com/search?q=pre%20gunpowder%20cannon%20 towers&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&sa=N& amp;tab=iw
its the very first link on the list....its a power point presentation
"Pain is Weakness leaving the body"
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 16:06

Originally posted by pikeshot1600

I have an interest.  Have you read about the influence of engineering and military architecture in the progress of the "Military Revolution?"

Yes, I have read some on the military revolution of the early modern period.  Geoffrey Parker's work on the subject is pioneering, check out his book with the title of The Military Revolution.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 08:40

Yes, I have Parker, and there is a really fascinating collection of essays on the whole concept of "military revolution" published in 1995:

"The Military Revolution Debate, the Military Transformation of Early Modern Europe."

ISBN 0-8133-2053-4

Great stuff on technology and fortifications, financial matters, the change in the social position of the soldier, etc., etc.

Parker, Michael Roberts, J. Black, Guilmartin, John Lynn, D. Parrott and others.....Sometimes these things are dry, but I found this one fascinating.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 23:25

Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Parker, Michael Roberts, J. Black, Guilmartin, John Lynn, D. Parrott and others.....Sometimes these things are dry, but I found this one fascinating.

Yes, I have read some stuff by Guilmartin and also by Black.  Guilmartin's specialty is gunpowder weapons aboard ships, I believe.  I will have to check out Roberts, Lynn, and Parrott.

Another name that just came to my mind is Simon Pepper.  He wrote some books and articles on cannon and fortification in Renaissance Italy.

Post Reply Post Reply