Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who is your favourite Greek warrior?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who is your favourite Greek warrior?
    Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 07:45
I think the greatest general and diplomat also ,
was Philipp II.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 19:50
On a topic so varied and historically wide in its scope of greatest Greek aka Hellenic , Hellenistic,Byzantine,Romios,Klephtes, Warrior etc , I find it difficult to see what this proves or contributes except alot of historical muscle flexing. In any case , I will state that Alexander the Great, is my first choice based on that he was the man of action and Greek thought ,philosophy , strategy, science and curiousity and dynamic viceral, vitality that embodied the mythology and legacy of the Greek world. His accomplishments as a man, let alone as a Greek are legendary and inspiring. As a second choice I would like to mention the Spartan , Amompharetos who refused to retreat to the Persians and in disobeying his commanding officers caused the Greeks to defeat the enemy at the battle of Plataea 479 B.C
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 04:19

Originally posted by Konstantine

As a second choice I would like to mention the Spartan , Amompharetos who refused to retreat to the Persians and in disobeying his commanding officers caused the Greeks to defeat the enemy at the battle of Plataea 479 B.C

There's another theory that Amompharetos simply misunderstood or was not well informed of the actual battle plan and thus jeopardized the whole operation.

The idea was that the Greeks wanted to lure the Persians out of their defensive positions and to (as a second objective) shorten their supply lines that were suffering from Persian cavalry attacks. Therefore they decided to retreat to a secondary position with the hope that the Persians would think that they retreat and would attack to completely route the Greeks. Amompharetos refused to retreat his unit in what he saw as a cowardly retreat and when morning came the Persians saw the Greeks retreat and Amompharetos small Spartan unit staying alone in the middle of the field. They attacked, the Spartans held but with losses and soon the other Greeks entered the battle to support Amompharetos unit.

The rest in well known, the Persians were defeated. It's interesting to point out that the worst losses of the Greeks came not from the Persians but from their Theban (mainly) and Macedonian allies. No wonder no one held the Thebans in much esteem afterwards...

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 07:07
Bloody Thebans!
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 07:10

Trikopis       

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 07:18
You mean Trikoupis, in any case this thread is about warriors not politicians

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Pilot View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 08:01
As I said, ALEXANDER WAS THE GREATEST OF THE GRAECIAN WORRYS.

He worried Graecians soo much, that the Graecian's (politicians, army etc) even sided with the enemy. Alexander the MACEDONIAN KING, supported by MACEDONIANs... NON-GRAECIANS. therefore there is no way he qualifys as a Graecian, but he definitly was the number one cause of Graecian worrys.

Clap
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 08:27

Stop hijacking this thread and start another one if you want to discuss Alexander's Greekness (or better search and revive an old one).

You will not be allowed to create havoc in this forum.

EDIT - 27.02.2006

Posts deleted and transferred to another thread. I can't believe that another nice thread was killed by mindless and irrelevant posting!

Please continue posting as if this interruption never happened.

Edited by Yiannis

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 21:53
Hi,
My own favorite even though not very "macho" is the greek-egyptian
lagide Evergetes II "the obese". The greatest general of all: to traumatise
his adversary (who was by the way his first wife and his sister and his
sister-in-law and his mother-in-law) he cutted his own son into pieces.
Anybody can find a better tactic?
I am a free donkey!
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 14:47
Originally posted by Yiannis

Stop hijacking this thread and start another one if you want to discuss Alexander's Greekness (or better search and revive an old one).

Neither will your attempts to hijack Macedonian heritage

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 15:12

If I am allowed to add half-greeks I would say my favorite warrior is Sultan Selim I. Sultan Selim's mother was a Byzantine Princess from Trabizond.  The Sultan conquered Arabia and under him the Ottoman Empire entered the period of its greatest power.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2010 at 16:23
I think Constatine Palaeologus XI is really my favorite Greek/Roman/Byzantine warrior.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2010 at 18:41
There is only one, and his name is (supposedly) "Belisarius!" And, he is the only one of the bunch that I feel any remorse!

Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Shield-of-Dardania View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2010 at 05:09
Aeneas, king and protector of Dardania, based on a diverse range of material, including the trilogy novel Troy by David Gemmel.

I find him a most cool and inspiring character, hence my nic.Smile

Although, personally, I don't really believe he was a Greek, as Homer would have us all believe. I  think he was Thracian, and so were his Trojan and Phrygian allies.

Pity though, for some reason he didn't get much screen time in Troy the movie. That didn't do him justice at all, I thought.Confused 

Edited by Shield-of-Dardania - 29-Mar-2010 at 05:16
History makes everything. Everything is history in the making.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234