Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Something about Jian dao(Gando)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something about Jian dao(Gando)
    Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 23:39

Hey I/eye,

The thing is Taiwan does have a flag and an anthem.  I love the old Nationalist (not the crazy "nationalists" that I decry, but an actual party with that name) flag (the one Hansioux is using.)  It's "Ching Tian Ba Yi Wan Di Hung," "The blue sky, white sun, and the red field," the red field, if I'm not mistaken, symbolizes the blood of the martyrs who fought against Ching dynasty.  It might be an allusion to the "Red Flower Society," a secret society that fought against Ching (please correct me if I'm wrong here, cuz I'm not entirely sure if the Red Flower Society was real or fictional.  In any event, though, I think the Nationalists were associated with the Triads, and I think Sun Yat Sen was a Triad member himself.) 

My own family has something to do with the Nationalist party.  We used to fly their flag (way before I was born though.)  And, no, as far as I know, my family was not gang related.  Would be cool if it was though.

The reason that the Taiwanese aren't supposed to use their anthem and flag in the Olympics is because of China, really.  The UN only recognizes Mainland as China (they used to only recognize the Republic of China in Taiwan instead.)  Now we can't call Taiwan China cuz we'd have two Chinas, but we can't call it Taiwan cuz then we'd be recognizing its independence, and doing either of this would piss off Mainland.  Like I said, those poor Taiwanese bastards.  One should note that Taiwanese teams in the Olympics represent "Chinese Taipei" or something.  That's part of the PC talk described above.

Peace,

Michael

8-30-2004

Edited by MengTzu
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 00:20

I know.. that's why I said poor Taiwanese Olympians.. having, and not being able to use it, is much worse than not having any at all

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 01:06

To Mengtzu..

Well, in Taiwan aboriginals gets some special previliages like in education or job security and stuff.

That is why the government recognize that there are two types of aboriginals.  Ping-Pu tribes who consist of most of the Han-cultured Taiwanese people are not a part of this aboriginal count.  They are counted separately from those who still retained their language and culture.

What's left are 11 tribes, soon to be 12 that will be recognized as aboriginals that still retained their language and culture for the most part.  They are 2% of the population.

However counting in the Ping-Pu aboriginals, which can be traced through family names, family history, religion and DNA, the both aboriginals comes up to be 80% of the Taiwanese people.

Edited by hansioux
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 01:28

Hey Hansioux,

Hun culture?

Peace,

Michael

8-30-2004

hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 01:49
Originally posted by MengTzu

Hey Hansioux,

Hun culture?

Peace,

Michael

8-30-2004

It should be 'Han', I think.  Huns already disppeared in history. Maybe can find some in Hungary......

Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Eternal biggest enemy of Rome.
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 03:17

My typo, fixed it.

The intersting thing about this Taiwanese flag that I love to hate and hate to love so much. 

The original ROC flag was the five horizontally colored stripe flag, elected by by congress in 1912.  The five colors were Red, Yellow, Blue, White and Black symbolizing the Han, Manchurian, Mongolian, Uyghur and Tibetan.  Doctor Sun Yetsen wanted the flag of just the blue sky and white sun without the red soil to be the flag, but after the flag lost the election, he chose it to be the flag of KMT, the Nationalist Chinese, till today.  The Chinese navy also chose the Blue sky and white sun flag and added the red boarder to be the naval flag of China.

hmm.... the five colored flag of ROC.  The real flag of ROC.

After Dr. Sun's death, Jiang took a few years to quell the warlords in China.  By the time when he is done, the Japanese began their invasion of Manchuria nd started the WWR2 early for the Chinese.  During the 8 years of war, Jiang became a dictator and ruled China with absolute power.  He was a strong follower of Dr. Sun, so to fulfill his wishes, he forced the all Nationalist congress to choose the current flag as the new flag of ROC.

Jiang also selected Dr. Sun's speach to the Nationalist Huang-Pu military acadamy as the lyrics of national antheme.  Disregarding a sone already written for this new flag.

At the end of ROC's rule over China, Jiang brought the whole thing to Taiwan and forced it on the Taiwanese people.  There are flags proposed as the new flag for Taiwan.  But much like changing the name of Taiwan can cause PRC to go nuts, changing the flag doesn't make PRC too happy either.

Edited by hansioux
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 03:53

Hey Hansioux,

I like the flag you hate =P  I think the basic premise behind it is cool.  Very poetic and revolutionary.  Anyway, are most of the Han-cultured Ping Pu intermarried with Chinese from China?

Peace,

Michael

8-30-2004

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 04:00

No, not most of the Han cultured Ping Pu intermarried with Chinese from China.

However most Chinese Taiwanese are intermarried with Ping Pu of Taiwan.

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 04:02

I don't just love to hate it, I hate to love it as well.  It's more like a love hate relationship.

Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 12:12
iS THAT WHAT the stars of the CHinese flag represent?
China, TIbet, Uyger, and mongolia, and manchu?
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 14:30

Hey Gubukjanggoon,

If you're talking about the flag with five stars, then yes, the five stars represent the five major ethnicities.

Peace,

Michael

8-30-2004

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123