Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turks cousins the Albanians?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turks cousins the Albanians?
    Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 06:24

I know, i know the Albanions belong to a totally diffrent race to the Turks. And yet many Turks describe them as cousins. So far i have gathered to reasons for this;

1) They mixed with the Turks under the Ottoman period

2) They were so loyal that they are like our cousins. This loyalty is even going on today with Albanion Bozkurts.

Anyway please send any more info on this topic or related to this topic.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 08:33

I dont think we have any ethnical cousinhood, but maybe some very minor intermixings in history.

But this is true that we are like cousins both culturally and historically...

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 08:36
My understanding is that Albanians were converted en-mass to Islam and since in the Ottoman empire there were no ethnic but only religious distinctions, they became more easily incorporated than other ethnicities.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 22:55

I have some Albanian friends and they say their parents and grandparents have told them that their families have mixed a lot with Turks.  Not only them, but it was very common back then and I know that these days a lot of Albanian women, Muslims, really like Turkish men.  Off the subject now but,  Albanian women......

Edited by Feramez
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 21:30
Cousinhood can be cultural, you don't have to have solid proove of ancestrial relationship (though go back far enough and everyone is your cousin), that said common religion would tend to facilitate intermarriage.

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 20:54
some albanians did intermix with turks... but i dont think most did.... even though most might have converted to Islam.  In Kosovo i believe that most of the ethnic Albanians did indeed intermix with Turks but not inside Albania. About 40% of albanian population today... if not more... is christian... the 10 percent of albanian catholics in the north i would say are the only ones who you could safely concluded to be 100% Albanian. Albanians today have mixed feelings about the turks. I wouldn't say that anyone hates the Turks in Albania even though we fought against them. I would say though that most Albanians blame their mental backwardness and poor economy as a direct consequence of the Ottoman Turks as well as Communist isolation.

Edited by vulkan02
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2005 at 06:15

Turk-Albanion relations are on the up.

Turkey and Albania have confirmed the agreement already reached months ago for the bilateral military collaboration during the visit of the premier of Tirana Ilir Meta to Ankara. The Turk-Albanian military collaboration becomes part in the agreements established to guarantee greater stability in the Balkan area and Ankara donated 40 million dollars to the Albanian Armed Forces with a prediction of investments of 80 million dollars within 2004. The Turks have reconstructed and manage the Albanian Naval Academy of Valona, and have reactivated the naval base of Liman Pasha which has been destroyed during the disorders of 1997. They are engaged in strengthening the economic cooperation and, also in the defense area, reconstruct a factory of light weapons.> >

> 

>
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 09:32
yes i heard of that too... they used to have a lot of joint exercises in the years before 1997 uprising too
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 14:06

There is very little Turkish admixture in the Albanian population.  Most who mixed where then considered Turks.  The catholic Albanians, although fully Albanian in every sense of the word, have the largest Turkish admixture due to the women being raped by the Turks on occasion.  The only willful intermixture was amoung the catholic tribes of Miredite, where it was tradition for certain individuals to take a Turkish wife(as a result of the special privilages they held with the Turks, a very unique phenomena for Catholic Albanians).  Otherwise muslim and orthodox Albanians are relatively pure. 

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2005 at 11:03
Originally posted by Xp FERENS

There is very little Turkish admixture in the Albanian population.  Most who mixed where then considered Turks.  The catholic Albanians, although fully Albanian in every sense of the word, have the largest Turkish admixture due to the women being raped by the Turks on occasion.  The only willful intermixture was amoung the catholic tribes of Miredite, where it was tradition for certain individuals to take a Turkish wife(as a result of the special privilages they held with the Turks, a very unique phenomena for Catholic Albanians).  Otherwise muslim and orthodox Albanians are relatively pure. 

If the catholic Albanians have the largest Turkish mixture then why are they catholic in the first place... that simply doesn't make sense. The catholic Albanian were mostly free from the Turks because they lived high up in mountains where campaining and governing them was extremelly difficult. Even the communists in the 20th century did not had full control over the Malesia E madhe(Great Highlands) where most catholics are. I never heard about that last thing but maybe it is true.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2005 at 13:16

women being raped by the Turks

Wow, I witnessed every single Ottoman subject hating Turks, but I expected a lower level of complexed hatred from an Albanian. What a shame...

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 04:29

Originally posted by Oguzoglu

I witnessed every single Ottoman subject hating Turks,

If Ottomans haven't "subjected" them, perhaps they would be more liked, have you thought of that?

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 05:21

Yiannis

So what should we do?  Live at peace with all people?

If you like history It  was not always ottomans who  attacked other country.And I was not the ottomans who  attacked other countries.

And Ask a Cypriot Greeks  if they prefer ottomans occupation or not?

You will realy learn after  all we are  not devils.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 05:38
Originally posted by Murtaza

Yiannis

So what should we do?  Live at peace with all people?

No, but at least stop compaining "nobody likes me"

Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 05:45

Ah  no, It is not problem.You can complain because Turks ruled Greeks 500 years. But should also you  say, Turks are devil, They love  to kill or so on so on.

As I said, As A cyriot greek If they prefer ottoman occupation or not. They will began  like a ordinary greek cypriot, They killed us ,they mass raped ........

But they will not say we didnt prefer Ottoman Occupation.(Of course If he know his history)

Edited by Murtaza
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 05:56

Well, every occupation is unwanted, but the parts of Greece that were under western (mainly Venetian) occupation fared much better and advanced both economically as well as culturally compared to the Ottoman-occupied Greece.

Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 06:24

That is easily seen after, 1600 ottomans  stabilised all land they live, This is same for Turkey too.

But saying this is different than saying mass rape or something like that.

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 12:13
the Ottoman system was not as bad as the feudal system that many people were living under in the Balkans. People hated the Ottomans simply because they were Islamic. The Ottomans gave people a chance... especially in the Balkans to become generals, scholars, architects, governors, jannisaries etc and a lot of Albanians took advantage of that. The west flourished and ottomans languished mainly because of the discovery of the New world... not because the Ottomans had an "Islamic" mentality. Im sure they would have took advantage of new lands just as well as Europeans did.
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2005 at 20:21
Albanians maintained a very high control of their territory. Once we turned muslim(which did not take long) we no longer had turkish rulers nor did have have any Turkish settlers. Our pashas were of Albanian origins and so on and so on. Albanians have no relations with Turks outside of a fading religion.

If the catholic Albanians have the largest Turkish mixture then why are they catholic in the first place

Catholic Albanians maintained their idenity by living in the mountains. Most Albanian Catholics like the Malesi maintained their catholicsm by just staying away from the Turks. Literally., staying away from population and closing themseled off from society. Albanians who dropped down were then no longer seen as part of the tribe.

Furthermore, most evidence showed that Albanians never even learned Turkish, even letters from Pashas that ruled Albania were in Greek. Albanians were more prone to learn Greek then Turkish.

Raping of women were few. Many of them carried off the women who were then enslaved and sent to eastern provinces, they were not kept in Albania. Later on, since Albania ruled itself, the Pashas who touched the females were of Albanian descedent

especially in the Balkans to become generals, scholars, architects, governors, jannisaries etc and a lot of Albanians took advantage of that.

Nevertheless, Albania and many of its villayets were dung holes. Nearly all western observers stated this.

Not only them, but it was very common back then and I know that these days a lot of Albanian women, Muslims, really like Turkish men

Then your friend in one of the few. Many Albanians who took up Turkish blood then began defining themselves AS Turks and so they had a better life, during the creation of the Albanian state, these guys moved to Instanbul, if they had not done so already. However this was VERY rare as Turkish presence in Albania was very very weak.

Albanians turned muslim to keep out Turkish presence in their world. The Orthodox Albanians were protected by the Orthodox Church while the northern Catholics became isolated and muslims lived among themselves.

Edited by Iskender Bey ALBO
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2005 at 20:41
Originally posted by Iskender Bey ALBO

especially in the Balkans to become generals, scholars, architects, governors, jannisaries etc and a lot of Albanians took advantage of that.

Nevertheless, Albania and many of its villayets were dung holes. Nearly all western observers stated this.

Yes well the west progressed because the interest shifted from the middle east to the New world. Prior to the discovery of that in the 14th century the west was full of dung holes too probably even more so than the east.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>