Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most beautiful monasteries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sanimideg View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sanimideg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most beautiful monasteries
    Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 15:34

Grachanica Serb Orthodox monastery in Kosovo, 1314. Founder King Milutin

Edited by Cywr
SRBIJA DO TOKIJA!
Sanimideg View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sanimideg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 16:01

Manasija - Serbian Orthodox monastery c. 1420

SRBIJA DO TOKIJA!
Sanimideg View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sanimideg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 14:08
SRBIJA DO TOKIJA!
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 13:00

Above "Rilski manastir"

Preobrajenski manastir

Bachkovski monastery

In the yard of the monastery

Bulgarian monatery Zograph in Sveta gora /Athos/, Greece

------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------

Random, unknown for me

Everybody listen only this which understands.
Sanimideg View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sanimideg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 13:16

Manasija in Serbia

SRBIJA DO TOKIJA!
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 13:55
"tsar" - Preobrajenski manastir - and the first - Random.. one.. is of turkish architechtural style.. so interesting for it to be a monestery..
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 04:22

Originally posted by baracuda

"tsar" - Preobrajenski manastir - and the first - Random.. one.. is of turkish architechtural style.. so interesting for it to be a monestery..

Where you say "turkish" replace with "Balkan"...

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 05:22
Nope Yiannis its not Balkan its Turkish, here are examples for you from turkey and east.

same house renewed

same house renewed

There are many examples.. I believe they are around 1300 but not sure.. Look up Safranbolu in the internet, but there are sources even earlier than that..

Edited by baracuda
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 06:38

Baracuda dear, please don't get paranoid, I'm not trying to steal your heritage. But this kind of architecture originated in the Balkan region during the period of Ottoman domination and is commonly found in all countries of the region. It's not "Turkish"!

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 07:27
Im not getting paranoid, just look on the internet like I said and you'll see its not that difficult..

It isnt really logical to say its 'balkan' at all, unless now you're claiming that central asia was balkanian, then I've no comments what so ever.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 07:31
Yiannis, if something is derived, founhd, discovered, expanded under Turkish rule by Turkish influence, that's Turkish. This architecture style have been Turkish since 800 years even before our expansion to Balkans and now you come and claim the opposite. Com'on...
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 07:52

800 years ago you say. So where did it originated exactly, who developed it? I don't suppose in the steppes? Or is it Ottoman (please don't use Turkish for that period of time) same as the Ottoman-style mosques which are exact copies of Orthodox byzantine churches?

Architecture is my hobby so I don't need to "search the internet". I have books to read instead.

Let me repeat, this style flourished in the Balkans and in the coast of Asia Minor (in a much lesser degree). If you want to call it Ottoman, fine by me, in the sense that it was developed in the area dominated at the time by the Ottoman empire.

baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 09:55
You dont seem to know much for a person who's hobby is architecture, ... it isnt even worth the argument...

Ottoman style = copies of Ortodox Byzantine churches, thats a very big joke... maybe you don't even recognise who actually restored those structures adding to them in that period.. and perhaps you don't know at all about any of the turkic architectures up to that date also...let alone ottoman style architecture, maybe neither the persians, nor the arabs didnt exist..nor any islamic or pre-islamic architecht.. hail to the all inventing greeks!! sorry balkans !!
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 10:27

Ok, thanks for evaluating my knowledge based on your ignorance. So please show us "Turkic architecture up to that date". Btw, what date do you reffer to? Before Agia Sophia?

Persians, Arabs? I'm not talking about them, so why do you put in my mouth things I never said?

Persian architecture is unique and has influenced Ottoman a lot as well.

Agia Sophia:

Blue mosque:

Picture of Blue Mosque: domes wherever you look

TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 00:30
Ottoman style = copies of Ortodox Byzantine churches, thats a very big joke... maybe you don't even recognise who actually restored those structures adding to them in that period..

Yes it was maintained by Turks throughout those years. But its core architecture is Orthodox. Today's Ottoman mosques are modelled after the Hagia Sophia, which is also the model for Orthodox churches! They are very similar to each other with differences that have developed as the two cultures grew differently since the fall of Constantinople.

Lets compare;
Orthodox;

Turkish mosque;

Edited by Iskender Bey ALBO
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 01:12
a little note, outside appearances of buildings can be fooling, so take a look at the interior.. then you'll see the difference
Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 05:52
http://www.orthodox-monasteries.com

Just look to numbers of monasteries in each country, and I think will be clear where are the most beautiful orthodox monasteries in the world.

http://www.orthodoxlinks.info/orthodoxy/churches/romania/rom monasteries/

And look to the pictures

Edited by Richard XIII
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 07:49

Some lovely structures.

TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 10:51
BS, Albania has more monestaries then those two rotting ones in Voskopoje...

Anyway to Baracuda. The insides are different because the religions and how they are praticed are different. We are not talkign about exterior though.
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 11:40
nope thats not what I meant, most churches are supported via pillars internally, where as the mosques you portray as being the same dont have any pillars inside to do the supporting...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>