Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Minorities and Human Rights : GREECE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minorities and Human Rights : GREECE
    Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 08:20
Originally posted by iskenderani

I object strongly Phallanx ... about Seko.

He is a buddy...he is trying so hard to entertain us...give him a chance..he will do better i assure u..

Isk..

Extremely provocative,why won't you even try o respond to his posts?

Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 08:25
Originally posted by Iskender Bey ALBO

The Hagia Sophia wasnt just a little church in an area that has become completely empty of the populous that attended it. It was the CENTER or a major religion. Much like the Mecca is the center of Islam. You didnt answer my question Seko. How would you feel if America took over the Mecca and turned it into a Christian building?

Furthermore, how would you feel that the US slowly but surely chocked the head of that religion out of the city it had been quartered in for a mullenium.

skenderBey I prefer that  to what people did in baghdat and spains.

I wont say it is true to turn a  church to mosque, But  I dont think It is same with Mecca, Maybe  blue mosque will explain it better. And  No I will realy dont  like it much.

But what happened is  happened. Now aya sofia is also a islamic center.(I am sure you are agree with me about this  topic)

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 09:24
Originally posted by Swordmaster

not good,this has nothing to do with human rights,and it is insulting

what the hell does "your kind" mean?

"Your kind" means exactly what you understood or at least what I hoped you would have.
"Your kind" is the ones that have adopted his (Seko's) mentality of insulting anything and everything in lack of arguments, with one and only reason, to provoke.
Name me as you wish, disagree with me in every single post I honestly woudn't care, but when you attempt to attack religion in order to cover your incompotence of discussion/argument, then dear friend you are degraded to "your kind".

Actually this is all about human rights. It is mentalities like his that has brought, oppression and persecution to the religious minorities. It is "his kind" of outdated minds that have remained in the middle ages and continue to judge people by their religious beliefs.

Since when was this discussion about good Muslim - bad Christian or the other way around? Never was untill "his kind" opened his mouth and showed once again his true colors. Those of hate, those that massacred millions due to these idiotic ideas. It is "his kind" that lead to the persecutions of thousands due to a different religious belief, it is "his kind" that have and continue to desecrate anything simply because it is different to their beliefs, it is "his kind" that never have nor are capable of seeing artistic andarchitectural beauty in anything "his kind" weren't capable of constructing.

Insulting, hell yes it was, that was the whole intention of the post. To insult him, simply because that is the only thing "his kind" are capable of comprehending.

By the way, welcome to the fora.

Edited by Phallanx
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 13:19
Instead of converting the church to a mosque Mehmed should have probably built a bigger more beautiful mosque in the city. So this way he would show his empire's true grandeur by surpassing the haiga sophia without converting it.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 20:05

My response to Phallanx -

Originally posted by Phallanx

Originally posted by Seko

Thanks for the popularity guys!

How many historical mosques are there still in Greece? Were any of them turned over into churches? Should Turkey demand for them to be as they once were, if they are still standing that is?

The muslim faithful used the mosque of Aya Sophia for centuries. Just as the Christian faithfull did centuries before as a church. The spoils of war went to Fatih Sultan Mehmet and Istanbul was built on the former Byzantine capitol 'Constantinople'. Since the predominant religion of his empire was Islamic it was only fitting to make the religious center of his capitol Islamic also. Christian frescos, icons and idoltric portraits of a man that is assumed to resemble Jesus the Annointed 'Christos' have no place in a monotheistic house of worship.

Historical mosques???Yes
Where there ever any??? Look at these links: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/20 04/03/23/sports0837EST0241.DTL and http://www.wpherald.com/print.php?StoryID=20041230-011549-93 71r Here is a quote from the last link: 'Athens is the only capital city in the European Union that lacks a state-recognized mosque. There are many former mosques in Athens, but they all were desacralized as Muslim holy sites following the end of Ottoman Turkish governance. As a result, Muslims in Athens meet and pray in dozens of improvised mosques in garages and private homes.'

You turned Parthenon into your mosque, built your minarets and once again totally desecrated something far superior than you, something you could nor can ever reach.
Would you expect we'd leave the disgrace of true beauty standing???
It is at least stupid to even think of it or anything remotely similar to it. You are now talking about the Parthenon after I raised the issue about historical mosques built by the Ottomans in Greece.

If you want to see a mosque all you have to do is visit the Muslim minority in Thrace. We've said this too many times for you not to remember that they do have every single right that any other Hellinic citizen has, including freedom of religion both in practice and belief. That is after joining the EU.

Christian frescos, icons and Idiotic portraits???
Oh, Seko, once again you strive to prove the well known fact of your (general for 99.9% of Turks) disrespect to anything that doesn't follow your twisted logic of correctness.
This time, your stupidity has lead you to begin an attack on religion.
Interesting. I could degrade myself and take this discussion to a different level, but I'll let the rest of the members judge you for what you are. Are you competing with Isk as to who can twist my words the most? Look at my original caption above. I wrote about idoltric portraits. You inserted the word idiotic into your response. You twisted my words. That was either an oversight on your part or intentional slander. Which one is it?

Without judging the religion but clearly on a historic point of view. These frescos, icons and portraits, mosaics, enamel, ivory and metalwork objects have and still are worshipped by millions. So you are now the self-appointed spokesperson for those who pray to 'objects'. Good for you. That is none of my business. Our differences in theological matters is hereby noted.
Not only for who or what they represent but for the architectural and artistic beauty and grandiosity.
Something your kind obviously can not comprehend, which is the reason you chose to destroy them then, disrespect them today and make stupid attempts to discredit them now, as seen in the great example of the barbaristic mentality you present in your post. If you would have read my statements correctly you would have been aware of my opinion on Islamic (Abrahamic) monotheism regarding the inappropriateness of idol worship. You say that I cannot comprehend such artistic beauty. But I do. You should have asked and I would have gladly given you my answer. 

For moslems, Islamic (Abrahamic) monotheism is not compatable with multiple dieties. That is why the Ottomans did not allow icons or idols in the Aya Sofya after it became a mosque. If this notion is hard for you to accept, so be it. That was the main reason for removing pictures, paintings, etc., from this previous church. Your problem is with Islamic principles and you fail to understand the Ottoman adhearance to this principle. Instead you were quick to throw a temper tantrum and to point out the virtues of Byzantine architecture and its importance to certain worshippers. Their is nothing wrong with admiring the beauty of Byzantine art and architecture. They were marvelous pieces of work. However, since they represented non-Islamic beliefs they were not permitted in the mosque. That's history.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 20:40

My response to Phallanx part II

Originally posted by Phallanx

not good,this has nothing to do with human rights,and it is insulting

what the hell does "your kind" mean?

"Your kind" means exactly what you understood or at least what I hoped you would have.
"Your kind" is the ones that have adopted his (Seko's) mentality of insulting anything and everything in lack of arguments, with one and only reason, to provoke. I had no intention to provoke you had you shown genuine intentions for good natured debates. 
Name me as you wish, disagree with me in every single post I honestly woudn't care, but when you attempt to attack religion in order to cover your incompotence of discussion/argument, then dear friend you are degraded to "your kind". If you fail to understand the Islamic point of view regarding religious adhearnace to strcit monotheism then read more about it.

Actually this is all about human rights. It is mentalities like his that has brought, oppression and persecution to the religious minorities. It is "his kind" of outdated minds that have remained in the middle ages and continue to judge people by their religious beliefs. You are getting mixed up with the beliefs of fundamentalists. You should know that the Turks are mostly liberal practicing moslems. You are entitled to your opinon as you have jovially exclaimed. Since you are so preoccupied with religious rights of Christians in Turkey (which you probably have never seen to believe for yourself), why don't you also look at your own backyard on moslem rights in Athens. You have your churces in Greece so pray in them as you wish. You really do not have a right to tell the moslems of Turkey how to practice their religion and in what kind of building.

Since when was this discussion about good Muslim - bad Christian or the other way around? Ever since you made it so. Never was untill "his kind" opened his mouth and showed once again his true colors. Those of hate, those that massacred millions due to these idiotic ideas. It is "his kind" that lead to the persecutions of thousands due to a different religious belief, it is "his kind" that have and continue to desecrate anything simply because it is different to their beliefs, it is "his kind" that never have nor are capable of seeing artistic andarchitectural beauty in anything "his kind" weren't capable of constructing. Not a nice opinion of others you can't control.  

Insulting, hell yes it was, that was the whole intention of the post. To insult him, simply because that is the only thing "his kind" are capable of comprehending. No one wishes to hear your insults. And I did not insult the Eastern Orthodox religion. If it looks that way then no harm intended. I simply stated a historical reason why the Ottomans turned the Aya Sofya church into a mosque. My explaination contained religious motives as to the Ottoman adhearnace to monotheistic values. This building has historical significance for you. I admire that. And I do grasp your sentimental attachement to it. The same is true for the moslems. There is no real easy answer to satisfy both parties.

By the way, welcome to the fora.

I have noticed your defaming tendencies to portray Turks and myself as, 'his kind' in a derogatory fashion. I assume you act this way due to your passionate view on things Greek. You could share your admiration without tossing insults in my direction since we share similar histories yet polar opposite beliefs. I am also impressed as to how you try to blow my opinions and historical presentations out of the water by using inflamatory lanquage when none was thrown your way intentionally if at all. If my statements were incorrect about the Ottomans and the accompanying Aya Sofya matter then you should have corrected them. Next time keep such sensationalist claims to yourself when you diverge from the topic at hand.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 20:49

Response to IB Albo -

The Hagia Sophia wasnt just a little church in an area that has become completely empty of the populous that attended it. It was the CENTER or a major religion. Much like the Mecca is the center of Islam. You didnt answer my question Seko. How would you feel if America took over the Mecca and turned it into a Christian building? I personally would not like it.  However, Christian Bibles do not name Constantinople as a Holy Land.  I do respect its important position for many practitioners of the Eastern Orthodox faith though.

Furthermore, how would you feel that the US slowly but surely chocked the head of that religion out of the city it had been quartered in for a mullenium. The Eastern Orthodox Patriarche has been and is still stationed in Istanbul. What do you mean by 'chocked'?

Edited by Seko
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 21:12
Ill let the actual orthodox followers in this forum explain the 'chocked' part. They will do a much better job then I can.

It may have not been in the bible. But it was where Orthodoxy grew. It many ways, it was considered a home to Orthodoxy. So you can see the symbolism of it. It's turning into a mosque meant the complete descruction of that legacy. The building which was the home of the religion for so long was now the center of a completely different relgion. One which had had no place in it's creation or maintanence.
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 08:23
Seko.

Interestingly enough, it seems I'm wrong.
The post directed towards you was based on nothing more than my hasty reading through your post, I obviously misread "idoltric" for "idiotic", honest mistake. To use your words if it looks that way then no harm intended.

You are now talking about the Parthenon after I raised the issue about historical mosques built by the Ottomans in Greece.

Well those were some of the last minarets to fall. Anyway, you are refering to immigrants, half of them only having entered Hellas the last 3-5 yrs. One major difference, while we have not given them free land (as they demand) in order to build their religious temple (of whatever religion) we freely allow them to practice their religion in buildings they have converted to the temple of their choice.
I do understand that it isn't the same as a temple but they can practice the religion.
 No need for permission to preform any kind of ceremony, no need for permission of restoring the building they currently use as their place of worship. The goverment simply rejects to "hand over" a piece of land (as they demand in the center of Athens) to build their temple. The goverment insists that they purchase it on their own.

That is after joining the EU.

You obviously know nothing about the people of Thrace. I suggest you ask a couple or do a better search, you'll be suprized. I recall being in service in Thrace, the minarets were everywhere, we used to wake up by hearing that hoxja guy early in the morning.

So you are now the self-appointed spokesperson for those who pray to 'objects'.

Now here you jump to conclusions, I mention ojects because they are of no religious interest to those that admire them only for their beauty. But you conveniently cut the post right where it suited you.

The problem you obviously chose not to understand/accept is that, while the Ottomans did what they did clearly for religious purposes, the Turks of today continue to disrespect the religion and the monuments in various ways, even though they tend to name them "museum". Have you forgotten of the events in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's  or the continuous provocation and damage to the temples by fanatics even today???

Just one of the latest achievements:

Grenade rocks Istanbul's Orthodox patriarchate
07 Oct 2004 15:03:45 GMT

Patriarch Bartholomew I

ISTANBUL, Oct 7 (Reuters) - A hand grenade shattered church and monastery windows at the Greek Orthodox patriarchate in the Turkish city of Istanbul early on Thursday but no one was hurt, officials said.

"Two windows in the church and five in the monastery were smashed in the explosion," a patriarchate official told Reuters.

It was not immediately clear who was behind the attack, which took place at around 1:30 a.m. (2230 GMT).

Nationalists in overwhelmingly Muslim Turkey have targeted the patriarchate in the past.

Last month, far-right protesters clashed with police outside the complex and burned an effigy of Patriarch Bartholomew, spiritual leader of the world's 140 million Orthodox Christians. They oppose allowing the Greek Orthodox Church to own land.

Istanbul, then known as Constantinople, was the centre of Orthodox Christianity until it fell to the Muslim Ottoman Turks in 1453. The patriarch remains nominal head of the church, though the number of Orthodox Christians in Turkey is now tiny.

Turkey does not recognise Bartholomew as the ecumenical leader of Orthodox Christians.

The European Union, which Turkey aspires to join, has criticised state curbs on the Greek Orthodox Church and other non-Muslim communities.

The European Commission recommended on Wednesday that the 25-nation bloc begin entry talks with Turkey but pointed to areas where human rights must be improved, including restrictions on the patriarchate's legal and property rights.
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 17:05
Originally posted by Aeolus

Oguzoglu, next time try to copy/paste a text from a unbiased site and not from a ultra pathetic site like muslimedia, which you conveniently forgot to provide the link. (again!)

Here is the link with the complete rubbish archives of that site, for the readers here to value your unbiased source.

http://www.muslimedia.com/archives/world98/world98.htm

Ok, maybe you are right, if someone like you know this website and follow its articles, yes, it should be an unbiased source, sorry...

PS: I didnt give the link with it because I knew you wouldnt care about reading it, call it propoganda etc. if I gave you a link...

And please give us a biased link from your objective look.

Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 05:33
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

[

Ok, maybe you are right, if someone like you know this website and follow its articles, yes, it should be an unbiased source, sorry...

PS: I didnt give the link with it because I knew you wouldnt care about reading it, call it propoganda etc. if I gave you a link...

And please give us a biased link from your objective look.

So, according to the new Oguzoglu's unique pearls of wisdom, one shouldnt provide a link because its possible the others wouldnt care about reading it.

And you wonder afterwards why Iskenderani calls u jester.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 07:50

Cartoonist Faces Jail in Greece Over Jesus Cartoon :March 23, 2005

This is pretty amazing. Imagine you publish a book in Europe where you are protected by the laws of your own country, and that without your knowledge, it gets published in another, less free country. You may be summoned to court in that country, tried in abstentia and sentenced to jail. That's what's happening to Gerhard Haderer, an Austrian cartoonist.

Haderer published a 40-page book titled, The Life of Jesus. The book contained a cartoon of Jesus, depicting him as

...a binge-drinking friend of Jimi Hendrix and naked surfer high on cannabis.

Unbeknownst to him, the book was published in Greece. He found out when he received a summons to appear in court in Athens in January, having been charged with blasphemy.

He was given a six-month suspended sentence in absentia, but if he loses his appeal next month his sentence could be increased to two years. Haderer's book is the first to be banned in Greece for more than 20 years, and he is the first artist to fall prey of the European arrest warrant system since it was introduced in June 2002.

Austrian writers rallied to Haderer's defense at a press conference yesterday, charging that his case is critical to the freedom of international writers. It is unbelievable that a person can write a book in his home country and be condemned and threatened with imprisonment by another," said Nikki Conrad, a human rights expert who organised yesterday's press conference. "But he is not going to just sit back and accept this injustice. He is prepared to take this to the European court of human rights. When Gerhard first got the summons he thought it was a joke. But now he is starting to get a bit nervous."

The Austrian comedian Hubert Kramar, who is next week due to star in a new satirical play about Christ, turned up to the press conference dressed as Jesus. "We are supposed to be living in a democratic society. Greece is in Europe and the whole idea of the European Union is that everything is supposed to be more open. But what happened to Haderer is scaring artists like me," he said.

Haderer is no Johnny-come-lately to writing.

[He is] well known in Germany for his weekly illustrations in the news magazine Stern.

His book has sold 100,000 copies in Germany and been published in six countries besides Greece.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,1443908,00 .html

http://talkleft.com/new_archives/010126.html
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 08:44

[QUOTE=baracuda]

Cartoonist Faces Jail in Greece Over Jesus Cartoon :March 23, 2005

[quote]

Wow, thanks for the update on the grave abuses of human rights in Greece!

However this is old news. He was, of course, acquited of the charge of blasphemy in court almost a month ago... but it's still embarassing for me as a free thinker, that he was even charged in the first place.

In any case it makes me wander what would happen in an islamic country if one would create a cartoon of the Prophet, depicting him as ...a binge-drinking friend of Jimi Hendrix and naked surfer high on cannabis...

(or Ataturk for the same matter - some food for thought for our friend Baracuda)

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 09:06
Nope actually was looking at some cartoons, when I came across this one, then read a little about it, found it funny for a EU country.. so wanted to post it here..

Islamic countries dont say they're democratic, and that people have all the rights one can have, but besides that there are many islamic cartoonists that make fun of politicians and religious heads..... so I dont know the answer to that.. if you count Turkey as islamic, there are jokes of the sort, although some extremist will write to the drawer threatining him, or maybe not.. but I doubt that he'll get judged for it..
But for some citizen of X country to be judged for cartoon work in another country.. nope thats definately not my country, the most he'll probably be asked to say sorry or something.. to judge him.. haha no.

So interesting contrast for you.. between two types of mentality.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 11:04
He was judjed because he circulated his -allegedly blasphemus- work in Greek territory, and was promplty acquited... bah... forget about it!
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 14:01
Originally posted by Murtaza

skenderBey I prefer that  to what people did in baghdat and spains

I wont say it is true to turn a  church to mosque, But  I dont think It is same with Mecca, Maybe  blue mosque will explain it better. And  No I will realy dont  like it much.

But what happened is  happened. Now aya sofia is also a islamic center.(I am sure you are agree with me about this  topic)

The Church  of Agia Sofia was and it WILL ALWAYS be the center of the Eastern Orthodox Christianity no matter what how many minares you put in it.It's in the same place with Mecca and Rome,there is not doubt about that. 
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 15:41

No, it isnt same with Mecca. Maybe the Greek patriarch is the same with Mecca for Orthodox.

Aya Sofia is like Masjid-i Aksa in Jarusalem...

And it isnt the center of Orthodox Christianity. Fener Rum Patriarch is. It was a mosque until it was converted to a museum by the Turkish Republic. You should be thankful for it, but you still continue on complaining. What would be your reaction if it was still a mosque?

iskenderani View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote iskenderani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 17:15

Originally posted by iskenderani

I object strongly Phallanx ... about Seko.

He is a buddy...he is trying so hard to entertain us...give him a chance..he will do better i assure u..

Isk..

Extremely provocative,why won't you even try o respond to his posts?

Nice try....but before passing judgment , try to find jester Seko's answers to my questions....or , in that matter anyones answers to my questions..I will be much obliged if u can show then to me...

And a question for u .....As u know the Arabs left Alhambra in Spain ....What Turkish monument was left in the Balkans after 4 centuries of occupation , except bridges ( a must for travelling ) and mosques ( a must for the muslims to pray )...???

I will be very glad if u enlighten us..

Isk..

P.S ) I am still waiting for somebody to finish reading the Lausanne Treaty , about the minorities ....and i do have a feeling i will wait for long..

Isk..

Edited by iskenderani
Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 17:21

Tiran and sarejova? If I dont remember wrong, They was built by Turks. But I am sure you have not much thing even mosque in Greece. Well next time just dont destroy them.

And we are realy realy sorry, We didnt build a big palace at your tiny Athen. And Also we are much sorry because we didnt build some church.

Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 17:25
By the way, If you want to see some palace come to Istanbul, I can show at least 3 Palace, you cannot see in Athen or at balkans.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>