Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NOTRE DAME ON FIRE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NOTRE DAME ON FIRE
    Posted: 15-Apr-2019 at 13:47
CNN is reporting live that Notre Dame Cathedral is burning.

Video is showing flames engulfing the roof and main spire. At this writing the fire is totally out of control.

It would appear to be a total loss. Firemen are not able to reach the main fire point.

This is an historic disaster.

As I watch, the flames are growing and are spreading from the roof to the rest of the building.
They still haven't been able to get water on the blaze. From what I'm seeing, Paris will be changed for ever.

Edited by red clay - 15-Apr-2019 at 13:59
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2019 at 14:08
The main spire is now gone and the roof has collapsed.

This is horrible!
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2019 at 14:22
One has to wonder why there was no fire suppression system installed in such an iconic and historic building.
Unknown.
Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2019 at 04:47

Makes me think of Jeckyl & Hyde, and the fire of Rome.

Will be interesting to find out what the cause was.

Wonder how many historical manuscripts they might have had in there the have been lost?

Is this predicted anywhere in Nostradamus?

Surprising/unexpected things can happen in the modern world.
NZ's mandatory fluoridation is not fair because it only forces it on the disadvantaged/some and not on the advantaged/everyone.
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2019 at 19:14

The wooden roof and spire are destroyed but the rest has fortunately survived, with some damage here and there. It could have been worse ( and less with a sprinkler installation). 

The story of the fire (and damage) summarized in graphics and images :

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47947425

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2019 at 11:40
There are other Cathedrals built during the same era, Chartres comes to mind. I hope this event causes a general inspection of these.

Here in Philadelphia, they are testing the fire suppression system that was installed at "Old Christ Church", also known as "Old Swede's Church".

Built in the early 1700's it played an important role in the founding of the United states.

Unknown.
Windemere View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Windemere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2019 at 14:16
The fire at Notre Dame Cathedral is an awful shame. Not sure, but I think the cathedral was over 800 years old. I believe that there was actually a mass going on in the cathedral when the fire was first noticed. It was inspiring seeing how the people gathered outside, singing and chanting, as the firemen worked to extinguish the blaze.

All of those 800 year old wooden beams which supported the roof had undergone centuries of freezing in the cold and baking in the sun, and I suppose that contributed to how rapidly the fire spread. They are already proposing repairing the cathedral. I hope that they choose the most durable and strongest modern building methods in replacing the roof and steeple, even if it means using structural steel beams. The medieval use of the wooden beams was an amazing feat for their times, but after all, the building is still a church, and I think that the main objective should be to rebuild it in the strongest and most durable way possible, rather than to try to recreate the authenticity of the old wooden structural beams.
Windemere
 Post Reply Post Reply