Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hector

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hector
    Posted: 03-Jun-2005 at 08:33
what did this guy do to be the number one trojan?
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Idanthyrus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Idanthyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2005 at 16:13
He was the first son of King Priam.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2005 at 06:10
A good warrior, noble leader, the son of Priam who wasn't cursed. All round good bloke who had a pretty horrible death and was so conspicuously brave. Probably made Paris look like a real sissy boy by comparison .
EvilNed View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote EvilNed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2005 at 12:10

One thing that's up for "debate" is wether he really was the second best fighter in the Trojan War.

Some people claim Diomedes was better, and that Ajax was just as great. Also, there was Memnon, who was just as good a fighter as Achilles was, but without the immortality.

Yet, Homeros' list goes like this:

1. Achilles

2. Hector

3. Ajax

Can't remember the rest. But Ajax fought Hector to a stalemate, and I think Diomedes defeated him twice, or something like that.

Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2005 at 23:27
perhaps Homer was also considering their ability to lead men into battle
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2005 at 15:04
No, actually Hector defeated all but Achill... I just read the part from Ilias...

And Hector was like he always fought in the first lines and always in the deepest trouble, he feared none and was the second after Achill in the war. Ajax fought Hector but was wounded in the leg or right arm.

And i thought the list went like:

1)Achilleus
2)Hector
3)Memnon
4)Diomedes
5)the Amazon Queen
6)Ajax
7)one son of Priamos
8)Odyssey
9)Menelaos
10)Paris

It was about like that, and don't accuse not remembering some names.
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 16:13

Aias son of Telemon defeated Hektor. But night came by the help of gods, fight ended. Hektor was wounded.

The real list is like this in Achaean side:

1) Aias

2) Ahilleus

3) Diomedes

4) Patroklos

In Trojan side:

1) Hektor

2) Galukos

3) Sarpedon

4) Aeneas

But to be honest, Iliad and other Trojan war based legends are way too much pro-Achaean.

Everybody in Achaean horde feared Aias most. Aias and Ahilleus were sons of brothers. Aias was bigger, stronger, wiser, etc... He defeated Hektor without help of Gods. If you read Iliad, you will see that Hektor was about to defeat Ahilleus. Ahilleus lost his spear which was the most important weapon. But Athena gave the spear back, and Hektor was demoralized.

Diomedes feared Ahilleus. Ahilleus killed his cousin and he could do nothing.

Patroklos comes fourth.

Edited by HulaguHan
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 02:58

Originally posted by HulaguHan

If you read Iliad, you will see that Hektor was about to defeat Ahilleus.

The Iliad I read then was different. Achilles had to run after Hector, who didn't want to fight him. Hector only turned to face Achilles when Athena fooled him. Achilles did indeed throw a spear at Hector, and he did miss, but he was hardly at Hector's mercy, since Athena returned the spear right away (and even if he didn't have the spear, Achilles would have used his sword).

Edited by Degredado
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 13:45
Originally posted by Degredado

Originally posted by HulaguHan

If you read Iliad, you will see that Hektor was about to defeat Ahilleus.

The Iliad I read then was different. Achilles had to run after Hector, who didn't want to fight him. Hector only turned to face Achilles when Athena fooled him. Achilles did indeed throw a spear at Hector, and he did miss, but he was hardly at Hector's mercy, since Athena returned the spear right away (and even if he didn't have the spear, Achilles would have used his sword).

thats the true story based on the book

The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 14:41
It went a little weird here...
EvilNed View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote EvilNed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 14:43

Diodemes defeated Hector, but when Hector defeated Diomedes (they fought several times) the gods intervened, and helped Hector.

And Achilles was a better fighter than Ajax. It even states so in the book. Achilles could defeat Hector. Ajax could not.

Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 21:22
I think Achilles is without doubt the greatest of the warriors. The whole book of the Illiad is about the "Wrath of Achilles". Ajax was also a good warrior, but he lacked the leadership found in Achilles and the cleverness found in Odysseus.

I think the Ranking would go something like this
Achaeans:
1. Achilles
2. Odysseus (Better leader and wiser than Ajax)
3. Ajax
4. Diomedes

Trojans
1. Hector
2. Aeneas ("second in command and ability only to Hector")
3. Sarpedon
4. Glaucus
EvilNed View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote EvilNed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 06:04
Imperator, what of Memnon? He actually stood a better chance against Achilles than Hector did, yet he is not on your list.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 16:31
Yes, and I would even say that in wiseness Diomedes was smarter than Ajax.
 Post Reply Post Reply