Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hallam & Waltheof's aula location

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hallam & Waltheof's aula location
    Posted: 22-Feb-2018 at 00:25

One of the unsolved mysteries in the Sheffield area of the UK is the site of the aula "hall" of Waltheof in "Hallam" which is mentioned in the Doomsday Book in the neighbourhood of Sheffield and Attercliffe. 
After my first looking into this so far my tentative provisonal theory is that the aula might be connected with Little Haggas Croft of Loxley Chase for which we will give a few reasons why below. It is said that Little Haggas Croft "was in the area of present day Normandale House on Rodney Hill", but it is possible that the aula of Waltheof may have actually been at Stannington which is only 2.01 km or 1.25 miles from the centre of Loxley village.

Waltheof's aula was a (destroyed?) hall or court, & Hallam a manor.
Haggas Croft was a "foundation of a house or cottage" & Loxley was a "manor". Loxley falls within the Stannington ward, and there is "evidence of large manor house surrounded by a moat". 
("Great Haggus Croft is near Robin Hood's Bower and invironed with Loxley".)

Waltheof's aula: was held by Roger de Busli (tenant-in-chief).
Haggas Croft: was supposedly where Robin/Robert Hood was born. (The real Robin/Robert Hood was Roger Godberd, the same first names.) [Strangely the site is also on "Rodney Hill", but apparently this name is only from a later Admiral Rodney.]

Waltheof's aula: connection (of Roger de Busli?) with king of Scotland.
Haggas Croft: "traditional idea of Robin Hood being related to Scottish nobility". 

Waltheof's aula: passed to Maud was married David the heir to the crown of Scotland and earl of Huntingdon. "the lords of Hallamshire were descendants of the early medieval kings of Scotland through the Earl of Huntingdon."
Haggas Croft: Robin Hood was supposedly heir of Earl of Huntingdon.

Waltheof's aula: was the hall or court of Waltheof (1066/1069).
Haggas Croft: was supposedly birth place of Robin Hood (born "1160") who was supposedly a descendant of Waltheof. "Robin Hood is said to have been a displaced son of the lord of Hallamshire, who at this period in history resided at his manor at Loxley."

Waltheof's aula: Waltheof was killed by Normans. 
Loxley: was set aside for hunting by Norman lords after the Conquest.
Little Haggas Croft: supposed to be site of Normandale House.

(Stannington ("stone") is one of the main candidates for Waltheof's aula.
Robin Hood's alleged grave iscription mentions a "stone".
Robin Hood supposedly killed by a De Stainton.
Roger Godberd was of Swaninton.)

I might be wrong so here are some other considered possible candidates (i know that the alleged etymologies of some dont match but i consider all faint possibilities) :

aula(m) ("hall or court") ~ Hollow Meadows / Auley Meadows / Hawley family? Fulwood (ful wuda)? Ulley (ulla)? Hawle at the Poandes?* Holt Houle? Owlerton? evidence of an Anglo-Saxon building on site of Sheffield Castle? Burnt Stones Common (by the Long Causeway route)?

hall/heall ~ Meadow Hall? Hawle at the Poandes?* Hall family? Ecclesall? Whiteley Woodhall? Beauchief hall 1276/83?* Little Haggas Croft ("Pasture", "foundation of a house or cottage", Loxley Chase)?* (&/or Great Haggus Croft?) Whirlow hall farm? Elmsall? Haddon Hall? Hallfield?

Hallam/Hallun/Halun/Halum ("on the rocks", or halgh "an area of land at a border", or hallr "a slope, hill", or heall "a hall, mansion") (manor, village) (& Sheffield & Attercliffe, Doomsday Book) ~ aula(m)? Alan/Allen a Dale? Hallam Head?* Allman Well? St Helen (Doncaster, Barnsley, Bassetlaw, Darley Dale)? Hallam Field / Great Hallam Field / Common Fields of Hallam?* Manor / Manner's Floods (West Hallam, Derby)? "evidence of large manor house surrounded by a moat" just outside Stannington ("stone(s)")?* Streoneshalh (Whitby)? Elmet? Alma? Hollins End?* a nucleated settlement south of Redmires Rd (at junction of Tom Lane & Carsick Rd, west of Sheffield)? Loxley (manor)?

Waltheof/Waldevi/Waldef/Walleff/Wallef/Walter (1066-1076) ~ Waleswood (walha)? Walterthorpe/Waterthorpe? Ulley (wulf)? St Wilfrid 700 yrs old (West Hallam, Derby)? Wadsley? Waldershelf ridge? St Wandrille (Ecclesfield, 1161)?* Dragon of Wantley? Waleys? "Watling Street"? Alfreton?

----- 

p.s. I lost forum access in two browsers because capitcha won't show with my older connection and older OS. So if i never seen here again you know i been blocked either accidentally or on purpose.

NZ's mandatory fluoridation is not fair because it only forces it on the disadvantaged/some and not on the advantaged/everyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply