Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did Aenas exist?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: did aenas exist?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [62.50%]
3 [37.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did Aenas exist?
    Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 13:43
Another myth on Rome?Or event?
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Vlad Catrina View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Vlad Catrina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 13:49
You were inspired by me, didn`t you?
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 15:17

we ought to hear diffrent versiones of the story;so shortly:

YES

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2005 at 08:00

No, he was a mythological figure.

Aeneas

by James Hunter
Spacer image (1px).
opUp('/include/sources.php?a=Aeneas&id=3205','Sources',4 00,250,'yes');" href="javascript:void(0);">
Spacer image (1px).

Aeneas was the son of Anchises and Venus. He was a cousin of King Priam of Troy, and was the leader of Troy's Dardanian allies during the Trojan War. After the fall of Troy, he led a band of Trojan refugees to Italy and became the founder of Roman culture (although not of the city of Rome itself). He was the mythical progenitor of the Julian gens through his son Ascanius, or "Iulus," and Virgil made him the hero of his epic, the Aeneid.

In the Trojan War, Aeneas was one of the most respected of the Trojan heroes, perhaps second only to Hector. He engaged in abortive single combat with the Greek heroes Diomedes, Idomeneus, and Achilles; twice he was rescued through the intervention of gods. When Troy was sacked by the Greeks, Aeneas fought on until he was ordered by the gods to flee. He finally left the city, carrying his father and the household gods (see Penates) on his shoulders; his wife Creusa was lost in the confusion, but his son Ascanius escaped with him.

Aeneas and the Trojan remnant then wandered across the Mediterranean, hounded by the enmity of Juno. In one of the most famous episodes of the Aeneid, they were cast ashore near the north African city of Carthage, where they were hospitably received by Dido, the city's founder and queen. There ensued a love affair between Dido and Aeneas which threatened to distract Aeneas from his destiny in Italy. Mercury was sent to order Aeneas to depart and Aeneas, forced to choose between love and duty, reluctantly sailed away. Dido, mad with grief, committed suicide. When Aeneas later encountered her shade on a trip to the underworld, she turned away from him, still refusing to forgive his desertion of her.

In Italy, Aeneas allied himself with King Latinus, and was betrothed to Latinus' daughter, Lavinia. Lavinia's former suitor, Turnus, goaded by jealousy and the machinations of Juno, declared war against the intruder, and a period of bloody fighting (the Italian Wars) followed. Aeneas was victorious, eventually killing Turnus in single combat, and went on to found the city of Lavinium. At the end of his life, Aeneas was deified at the request of his mother, Venus, and became the god Indiges.

In the Aeneid, Aeneas' most common epithet is "pius," and Virgil presents him as the exemplar of the Roman virtues of devotion to duty and reverence for the gods.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2005 at 12:21
what did hector do to make him number one?

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2005 at 13:10

Originally posted by aknc

what did hector do to make him number one?

He died!

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2005 at 13:36
What does it matter?

If Vergil's treatment of the Aeneas legend is seen as allegory for the dissemination of Greek culture into (proto-)Roman society in Italy, it's true enough for me!

As with all great myths, the Aeneis should be left alone, and not questioned too much on its historical background, it could only diminish its fascination.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2005 at 16:13

He died!

but but but......

wsan't he better than aenas?

TheOrcRemix View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2005 at 01:28

u shoud put a "not sure"

True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2005 at 08:32
ah,who cares!It's not like he'll reeturn from the dead for saying "no"

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2005 at 14:56
If he didn't exist then probably he can't return,;, but i'm believing that all myths are based on  real stories...
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 02:33
Aeneas is bunk! The Romans needed someone to tie them to the Trojan War, and Aeneas was convenient. Don't believe the poets! Rome begins with Romulus and Remus! This whole, "Rome was founded by Aeneas thing is really making me reek.
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Vlad Catrina View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Vlad Catrina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 08:33
Originally posted by Degredado

Aeneas is bunk! The Romans needed someone to tie them to the Trojan War, and Aeneas was convenient. Don't believe the poets! Rome begins with Romulus and Remus! This whole, "Rome was founded by Aeneas thing is really making me reek.

I agree!
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 10:48
One of the main reason the Aeneid was written (commisioned) was for political propoganda. The Aeneid contains parts describing the future greatness of Rome as something casted into Fate and known to Aeneas. According to the Aeneid, Aeneas' son Iulus is the ancestor of Caesar's Julius family.

However, Aeneas was also a character beyond Roman propoganda because he also appeared in non-Roman works such as the Illiad and the Oddyssey. Thus he could have been a real figure. So even though the Aeneid is bunk, Aeneas is not necessarily bunk.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 14:45
And Aeneas didn't found Rome, his sons did... He founded something like Ava Apelsia or close to that...((the name is definetly wrong))
faram View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote faram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 17:01
According to the myth, Aeneas founded Alba Longa, a city in the Latium which was the leader of the Latin confederation. When Rome conquered it, they inherited his leadership over the Latins.
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 19:05
Alba Longa is just as bogus as the legends stating that the Romans descended from the Trojans. It was invented by poets and historians to get rid of discrepencies. Mainly that Romulus and Remus had founded Rome, not Aeneas.
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 21:35
Alba Longa is just as bogus as the legends stating that the Romans descended from the Trojans. It was invented by poets and historians to get rid of discrepencies. Mainly that Romulus and Remus had founded Rome, not Aeneas.

Alba Longa was an actual town and could be found in roman records. Aeneas was also not entirely fake because he also appeared in Greek epics.

What is probably not true is Aeneas' journey. You can tell because a lot of the facts in the Aeneid are just plain wrong. One is that Carthage was supposively the favorite city of Juno, who hated Aeneas and his "founding of the Rome" race scheme. Clearly, this was just a justification of the Punic wars, because the Carthaginians did not adopt Juno as one of their deities until after contact with Romans.
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 05:28
If he didn't exist then probably he can't return,;, but i'm believing that all myths are based on  real stories...

That is actually quite correct.
We know of Aristotle saying that "our ancestors left our traditions in a form of myths. True events that were not meant to be commonly known, so they protected them through myths."
While Euemerus tells us that myths are "history in disguise."

So there very well  may be some truth behind this among other myths. When you come to think of it, it wasn't so long ago that Troy was nothing more than a fairy-tale, while today everyone is striving to find their origin and exactly how it was destroyed.

While it is true that Roman writers did attempt to come up with a decent literature document that would comprise the "glorious" history of Rome and some connection to Hellas( see Aeniad)
We do know of the Sabines that were definitely of Hellinic origin and of many more connections to the Hellinic world, Gods, customs....

So I'd say the myth may not be exactly correct but does encript a whole lot of truth in it.

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
 Post Reply Post Reply