Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Spanish inquisition: A quick overview.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
QuillAndInkHistory View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote QuillAndInkHistory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Spanish inquisition: A quick overview.
    Posted: 05-Jun-2017 at 15:22
Hi!

I just uploaded a short video overview on the history of the Spanish inquisition, from it´s rise in 1480 to it´s abolishment in 1834. The video is trying to give a somewhat objective description of the Spanish inquisition and the literature it´s based on can be found in the description. Would love to hear your thoughts on the subject so please leave a comment in the treads comment section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdexUlMXL0w
"As a historian, all I wan´t to do is get the story straight given the evidence we have.

- Ronald Numbers.
amature historian View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote amature historian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2017 at 02:13
I thought it did a good job.  It helped dispell some common, but false impressions, of the Inquistion.

The Spanish Inquistion as much political as relgious.  As the video pointed out, it was really under the control of the Spanish crown rather than the Pope.  The routing ouf of crypto Jews was of political importance, since these falsely converted Jews could act as a 5th column and undermine its authority during its wars with Muslims and others.  Plus their present could undermine the genuine conversion of the fellow former Jews, and thus undermined national unity.  The crown percieved adherence to Catholicism as important to the national unity of the state, and viewed non Catholics as undermining that unity, and potentially weakening the crown, which is why it reacted the same way to heretics and Protestants.  
 Post Reply Post Reply