Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

brief history of Cyrillic

Post Reply Post Reply
Rate this Article:
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: brief history of Cyrillic
    Posted: 27-May-2017 at 06:21
I would like to open this discussion due to recent  political statements of some of world politicians about the origin of the Cyrillic script and since his words (actually very careful combined) could have a lot of interpretations and I just would like to point out some facts and history which led to creation of this alphabet. In order to keep discussion in "civilic manier" I would not like to mention the name of the politician and his words..
So during the IX century Bulgaria is one of biggest and important countries in Europe. Founded several centuries ago as an union between seven Slavonic tribes and Bulgarians of Asparuh the country gradually increased its influence and territory and at this time it posses most of Balkans, today Romania, part of today Hungary, Poland and so on. The increment of the territory and influence however led to many problems related to heterogeneity of population, religions, believes, traditions, but also international name and prestige (at this time the other large countries in Europe are Christian).
May be at this moment most of population in the First Bulgarian empire was already Christianized, also may be due to aggression of Rome and Constantinople to impose their believes in whole Europe and also aiming to create one nation, which glorifies one God, in 863 our khan and latter knyaz Boris I  officially imposed Christianity as religion of Bulgaria. What we can say with sure is that Boris I was very good politician a succeed to trick both Rome and Constantinople in their own game (please do not attack me for this words :) :)) Firstly Bulgaria adopt Christianity under East model, then several year latter under west model, then during Fourth Council of Constantinople  Bulgaria again became orthodox country, but with one very important exception - there should be a "Bulgarian church diocese" , which place of seat will be in Pliska (capital of Bulgaria). The church will be headed by an Archbishop, chosen by the Bulgarians and approved by Constantinople. Only several years later  during the rule of Boris' son - Simeon this Archbishop will became a Patriarch of Bulgaria i.e. the church of Bulgaria will be fully independent - something which has not happen until this moment and which fully contradicts to motto One God in heaven, one emperor on the Earth.
So why Boris would need that? Well, Bulgaria has to stop somehow the increasing Greek influence and that could happen only if Bulgarian church is independent and the language is our, local Bulgarian, but there is one problem  - if Bulgaria adopt Christianity and then say "hey listen what, starting from today we will have our patriarch and we will glorify God on our language, with our script", this could mean only one - heresy! Until that very moment God could be glorified only on Latin, Greek and Hebrew. So our church and script had to be recognized by the Patriarch and Pope.    
So now under Boris Bulgaria has semi independent church, recognized not only by Rome or Constantinople, but by all east and west patriarchs. Now came language problem. It was not only the fear of possible assimilation, but  for the people  across the empire, the speech and writings of Greek priests were not understandable. Coincidence or not, but two brothers from Slavonic origin has created something (an alphabet) which could help Boris. Their work was recognized by Rome and Constantinople and was already used once in Great Moravia, although without significant success. Yes, these are Cyril and Methodius, but for surprise for most of you, they have not created "Cyrillic", but something differently, called "Glagolic". So their great deed in Great Moravia field and the students of Cyril and Methodius were chased out of the country. "....When he (Boris) heard about these great injustice and great people, Boris ordered immediately to bring them to him and when they were brought, he glorified his guests, spoke with them and then ordered to be created two schools", which had to translate all Greek books to Bulgarian. First school was in Preslav and second in Ohrid. Exactly there, in Ohrid at this time part of Bulgaria, one of students of Cyril and Methodius - Climent of Ohrid, re-worked their alphabet and named the new one in honor of his teacher - Cyrillic. The new alphabet was spread across the country and replaced the old one, which was more difficult for understanding. This alphabet became the base of Old Church Slavonic language or Old Bulgarian language and via that language the alphabet was spread among the other orthodox countries in the world.
So I tried almost neutrally :) and brief to represents the facts and events which led to creation of this script and if there is some inaccuracies and I would gladly discussed them, after all history is my hobby and I am not professional...so thanks for attention :)

below is compression of the two alphabets:
Everybody listen only this which understands.
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2017 at 06:22
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2017 at 08:57
Voices and syllables are older than any modern language. They were our human first language.They were before Greek,Latin,Slovene alphabet...all the rest is linguistic wrong approach Tzar.Regards.SmileWe have never forgot God and civilization. we have made our Earth's Ustrojstvo by 3 Divine Universal principles :Organisation,structure and constitution.
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2017 at 13:29
There is no doubt about that medenaywe, but I thought I was writting about history in a history forum :).  I do not understate the role of voice in development of mankind from the trees to walking and thinking creatures, but with development of humans more complex structures were created and I am just not agree when they are used with spekulative and wrong purposes.
regards ;)

Edited by tzar - 27-May-2017 at 13:33
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 03:09
Bulgars were biggest Byzantine population, class of serfs.95% of Byzantine population. That's a fact!It's easy to make any language from voices&syllables and rules from first language. St. Cyrill and St.Metodius made Cyrillics as basis for all Slavic languages. 

Edited by medenaywe - 28-May-2017 at 09:08
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 05:47
I do not get your point! If you mean that Bulgarian and respectevly Macedonian are based on the Greek you know that this is not true. Byzantiane approvement was needed as form of world recognization, not as a base for language development. 

Edited by tzar - 28-May-2017 at 05:51
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 07:25
All languages are based on Demoticos=Ancient Egyptian.COMPROMISE Star.

Edited by medenaywe - 28-May-2017 at 09:04
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 13:46

nooo, please do not take it personally :)

About Egyptian I cannot say anything, no information...

The fact I disagree with you or I cannot understand your point does not mean I will start a fight.

Just give me some more details, but please be more, how to say...... "simple" in your expressions, because sometime I just cannot understand.... 

My opinion is that we are speaking for completely different things. I am speaking about history of a given language and recent manipulations. You are speaking generally about the languages origin and the meaning of words.... at least this is what I understand for above...
---
I cannot agree that "St. Cyril and St.Metodius made Cyrillic as basis for all Slavic languages." Even if I do not pay attention on the fact they have NOT "made Cyrillic" I still cannot agree, because all Slavs had languages before Cyril and Methodius  and importance of their work is not in creation of  an "alphabet "but in recognition of the alphabet on international stage. Later that language (and that script) influent the other orthodox languages, but still Russians have Russian language, Serbs - Serbian and so on...

"Bulgars were biggest Byzantine population, class of serfs.95% of Byzantine population." - This confusing me. At this moment the empire include territories in Asia, Balkans and Italy as well. I doubt Bulgarians were majority...?!

Edited by tzar - 28-May-2017 at 14:01
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2017 at 03:06
Ancient Slavic was church=ecclesiastical language probably preparation for development of languages that have appeared after.Most of people in that time spoke language close to Demoticos or "Greek" or Latin.World have been changed cause of development of economy=manufacturing=trade.Peaple need more words for description of world around and inside them.Qualified serf becomes more profitable than analphabet one.

Edited by medenaywe - 30-May-2017 at 07:00
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2017 at 15:07
But maybe you are speaking about time, much, much before even formation of countries. Of course if we take the Darwin theory as true (I am not Anthropologist, just read too much papers Big smile) there is one basic language, from which all other speeches have developed. Actually this is strongly said language, it should be something very primitive and poor, describing some basic needs...
But again my focus is on something happened only 1100 years ago Big smileWink
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2017 at 05:19
We spoke that language in 196.B.C. in Egypt.There documents were written belingualDemoticos&Greek.Greek was first official upgrade of Demoticos=result,number of signs was reduced from 214 and more to 24.Sounds funny but my back does not hurts me anymore!Smile

Edited by medenaywe - 30-May-2017 at 08:21
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2017 at 14:27
196 BC? at that time the latin for example  already has existed...?
What is the relation between your back and that Demoticos?!? Big smile
we are speaking about the script (letters, symbols) or about the language (words)?
also what about Sumerian and Akkadian writings? They existed hundreds of years before 196 BC
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2017 at 15:08
Latin was created by Demoticos syllables=words.Greek before also.Slavic ecclestial in 9th century also.All languages I have analyzed till now also.Languages of Indians in America very likely also.Rulers have created first countries win
tax payers&Consumers&army and theritories.Bulgaria was first country formed in Slavic world after fail of Byzantine Empire,so if you say today it was all yours it is Tzar.WinkLOLGreedy indeed.Balcans are mixture of people from Ancient world...and new comers also.That makes civilization alive.

Edited by medenaywe - 03-Jun-2017 at 05:18
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2017 at 08:42
ok, you touched my ego, I am agree  LOLSmile
there is a logic in your words,but I am just not familiar with world linguistic history

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2017 at 10:14
Obache razbirash,Tzar! =You understand it,Tzar.Thumbs UpFast learner.

Edited by medenaywe - 04-Jun-2017 at 12:12
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2017 at 14:15
tzar, the mentally lacking diminutive troll is best mocked at every opportunity, in my opinion, instead of allowing him to get under your skin. He has a tendency to spit out his dummy when it comes to NATO, and especially concerning ex-warsaw pact members who were under the control of his mighty country. LOL  
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2017 at 14:24
It has been the same from Phillips 2 Tracians campaign. We have had always to explain them what is best for themLOL
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2017 at 14:28
well, he won me at the moment he said "...if you say today it was all yours, it is..."
but I am not sure what could happen if I open a topic about Samuel or Yane Sandanski. Wink
I think in that case we would not agree on Egyptian origin... Big smile
Pozdravi (Regards)
 Post Reply Post Reply