Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Registration Has Been Suspended

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Registration Has Been Suspended
    Posted: 10-Apr-2017 at 09:39
I have suspended registration for new members. This is temporary. When the spammers decide to leave us alone or I find a strategy to keep them out, I'll open up again.

Just in the last 3 days I've had to delete 40 + spamming accounts. I have other things to do besides spending an hour every day deleting accounts.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2017 at 06:24
Thats unfortunate, darn all them spammers, an hour a day! I had noticed spam sometimes.  Its a pity about Centrix since he seemed to be able to keep them down. I once tried a free forum and had spammers there too.
Wonder how other forums manage? I suppose they have more moderators who are able to deal with them. (Interesting that some accused AE of too many moderators, yet now seems too few? Its a pity AE has been so quiet since the AE - WH split (and maybe Historum's rise?) Some forums have restrictions on posts until a certain number of posts. Casebook has a registration system where people have to email the admin asking (though there is draw back if they are busy like when i tried and had days delay and it turned out they had been in hospital). Some sites have capitchas. Yada Yahweh has moderated forums where posts have to be approved, though thats abit of a pain. Some forums have where registration has to be approved, which might be best option here?
I think i had some sort of password system on viewing/posting in subforums when i tried my own forum, i also tried a special separate subforum for spam, so the spammers were only able to post in that one place. Some forums have some restricted/hidden areas/subforums that can't be viewed unless ask or an established/popular member.
Or if there is someway to have some sort of filter for certain words/phrases like email hosts have?
When i first heard of "open id" i thought it was like one id that could be used for all accounts, but it didn't turn out to be quite like that, though we can sometimes use some accounts like wordpress.
(Is a danger of surveilance and 666 though with id systems.)

Edited by Arthur-Robin - 11-Apr-2017 at 06:31
NZ's mandatory fluoridation is not fair because it only forces it on the disadvantaged/some and not on the advantaged/everyone.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2017 at 15:50
Arthur, the admins, and mods both stop the spam bots and human spammers whenever we can. Admins like red do the house-keeping afterward. It's the house-keeping part that adds to the burden for the admins.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2017 at 23:12
AR, Centrix did as much harm as good. He became fixed on signatures and banned quite a few legit posters. His bluster did little to stop the bots and others.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply