Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Asian General

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Asian General
    Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 00:56
Who do you think is the most significant out of these three asian generals, Lee Soon Shin, Oda Nobunaga, or Genghis Khan?
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 02:32

significant would be genghis khan

Yi Sun Shin had unmatchable naval skills and Oda Nobunaga was very significant in Japan's history, but Genghis Khan's significance is much too huge

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 13:06
Without Mao Dun there would be no Genghis.
Celtacian View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Celtacian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2005 at 04:38
With all that's been said it should be noted the revolutionary naval tactics of Admiral Yi far outweighed those of any naval commander of his time or afterward.
"History is not what happened...it's what we remember"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2005 at 16:25

General is not the same as admiral, thus Yi SUn Sin doesnt really count unless you mean his few and less spectacular land battles.  My vote would go for Subedei Bahadur.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 21:48
I don't know enough yet, but I have a real liking for Zhu De for some reason. He didn't do too badly for a bloke who was quite partial to some opium now and then. I'm sure he isn't the best, I just wanted to give him an honourable mention.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 13:35
My pick is Genghis Khan.
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 14:42

Significant could be a redundant word choice.  Significant in what sense?

Grrr..
doorman View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote doorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 17:53
Lee soon shin  was  one of the best admirals in asia.  You can't really put  him with the other two since the other two were land commanders. 
Oda Nobunaga had a greater impact in Japanese history than Genghis had in the eurasia land mass. Genghis Khan's accomplishments were wasted by the splintering of his clan into different factions almost as soon as he died, it got worse after each successive generation. Oda Nobunaga set the stage for Toyotomi Hideyoshi and Tokyugawa Ieyasu for the unification of Japan.

Going back to Genghis, he did give the mongols as sense of nationhood or a mongol state whereas previously it was just tribal alliances that came and went.

ChineseManchurian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ChineseManchurian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 20:11

Oda Nubunaga is not even the best general in warring state period.

A good General knows how to gain a victory, also knows when victory is impossible, so I think "Bai QI" or "Han Xin" will be the best.

By the way, Jpan in warring start era don't even use multiple formation, Genghis Khan didn't use many his own tactics in the battle.

Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 02:25

Hoshi-mena the greatest asian general,He defeated the french at (dean pian voo)and gained independence .

He defeated the american too and reunion vietnam,After him i elect chang ki tchick

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Koguryeo-sonyeon View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Koguryeo-sonyeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 03:56

Korea - Lee sun sin, Euljimunduk

Japan - Oda nobunaga, Takeda singen

China - I have many names to say. but I do not know their Chinese pronounciation

----------------------------------------------

I joined today. My English abillity is very pour. If my words strange I'd like to you see my words with tolerance.

Ignoble View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ignoble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2005 at 03:26
Yi soon shin hands down  watching the drama now
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2005 at 10:26
Sun Tzu, Qi Ji Guang, Li Shimin, Genghis Khan, Subutai, Jebe, Muquali, Yue Fei, Vietnamese general surname Tran who defeated Mongols (forgot his full transliterated english name)

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 06:06

Sun Zi was a great theoretician. Being a great general is entirely different.

I think Oda Nobunaga is up there for Japan, but Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Tokugawa Ieyasu, Takeda Shingen and Uesugi Kenshin are all strong contenders for the the top position. My personal vote goes to Hideyoshi... to my knowledge no battle in which he was in overall command was ever lost. Perhaps on the higher geostrategic level he was less skilled - as the Imjin War will show, but on the field of battle...

I think a lot really depends on what you consider significant. For example Wang Jian of Qin was certainly significant, in that he led the Qin invasion of Chu and thus removed the last obstacle between Qin and the unification of all of China. Keep in mind the defeat of Chu by Wang Jian directly contributed to the foundation of an empire which would last over 21 centuries and the nation of China is still united today and one of the most powerful on Earth (soon to be the most powerful). In that sense Wang Jian is extremely significant... but not especially brilliant, merely competent, solid and reliable. Cao Cao and Bai Qi are also strong contenders from China.

I think Eulji Mundeok has gotta be Korea's leading candidate.

In terms of significance, of the three mentioned at the beginning of this thread Genghis Khan has gotta take the cake. He set in motion forces which would eventually create the largest contiguous land empire in history - incorporating most of Eurasia.

Shivaji Bhonsle is a strong contender from India. Elsewhere we have Tamerlane who is certainly important and skillful. Much further west we have Salah ad-Din who defeated the Crusaders and retook Jerusalem.

Really it is impossible to say which single person was the most significant and certainly who was the most skilled.

jiangweibaoye View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 11:21
Originally posted by Findlay

Sun Zi was a great theoretician. Being a great general is entirely different.

I think Oda Nobunaga is up there for Japan, but Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Tokugawa Ieyasu, Takeda Shingen and Uesugi Kenshin are all strong contenders for the the top position. My personal vote goes to Hideyoshi... to my knowledge no battle in which he was in overall command was ever lost. Perhaps on the higher geostrategic level he was less skilled - as the Imjin War will show, but on the field of battle...

I think a lot really depends on what you consider significant. For example Wang Jian of Qin was certainly significant, in that he led the Qin invasion of Chu and thus removed the last obstacle between Qin and the unification of all of China. Keep in mind the defeat of Chu by Wang Jian directly contributed to the foundation of an empire which would last over 21 centuries and the nation of China is still united today and one of the most powerful on Earth (soon to be the most powerful). In that sense Wang Jian is extremely significant... but not especially brilliant, merely competent, solid and reliable. Cao Cao and Bai Qi are also strong contenders from China.

I think Eulji Mundeok has gotta be Korea's leading candidate.

In terms of significance, of the three mentioned at the beginning of this thread Genghis Khan has gotta take the cake. He set in motion forces which would eventually create the largest contiguous land empire in history - incorporating most of Eurasia.

Shivaji Bhonsle is a strong contender from India. Elsewhere we have Tamerlane who is certainly important and skillful. Much further west we have Salah ad-Din who defeated the Crusaders and retook Jerusalem.

Really it is impossible to say which single person was the most significant and certainly who was the most skilled.

Brillant reply! 

To me, the trait of a great general is one who is able to win without fighting &/or win with many factors against him. 

There is also a difference between a "field" general vs "supreme" general.  Forgive me for the lack of the proper term, but I "field" general is like Hideyoshi, but a "supreme" general would be like Cao Cao, Ban Chao (Han Dynasty), Zhuge Liang, Saladin.

I think Genghis & Tamerlane is more of a ruler than any form of General. 

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 16:58

Li Shimin was both a superb field general and a brillant supreme general

Tamerlane and Genghis differed: Genghis preferred to take overall command and let his younger field generals take the action, while Tamerlane was more hands on.

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

RevanShan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote RevanShan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2005 at 20:44
For China I think Han Xin is the most significant, without him Liu Bang wouldn't be able to defeat Xiang Yu and other kings, and China would fall into another the Warring States period.  Despite Qin having the symbolic value as the first Chinese empire, Han was much more important in forging the idea of Chinese unity.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2005 at 13:28

I agree with Poirot...

Sun Tzu, Chengiz Qan, Jebe, Subutay; but I would like to add to this list people like Attila and Iltirish Qaqan (not because my name is the same with his).

Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
 Post Reply Post Reply