Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Abortion: is it murder?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Poll Question: What i,s abortion to your point of view?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
67 [49.63%]
68 [50.37%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abortion: is it murder?
    Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 00:34

Scientifically yes its a living human and thus legally killing it is murder.  But who cares? Murder is a significant part of the human existence, and sometimes it is better to kill than not to kill.  Studies have shown abrotion legalization directly coorelates with dropping US crime rates.

And most people who get abortions would not make good parents and might be abusive, and adoption is not a viable answer like its made out to be, becaue orphanages and whatnot are overflowing.

I personally think there are too many dman people in the world anyway, we will destroy ourselves if dont pursue a zero population growth policy.

The irony about the US is that we have among the worst sex ed in the world yet are often agaisnt abortion.  If you want less abortions give better education!

Of course I could live in a state where abortion was outlawed, but only as long as it was still legal for rape victims and incest and whatnot.  No one should have to be humilated by rape any more than the rape itself.

Its always good to side with the side that gives people personal choice, always, then they have no one to blame but themselves.

And peopel speak abotu it like its a new phenomonon, and that makes me laugh at their ignorance.  Infanticide is what happens if theres no abortion, and its been very comon throughout all of history, and is more comon in th emore sustainable societies that do it for population control (New Ginea highlands) and reached its peak in the 18th century.  Not new at all.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 03:21

no,if you get an aabortion up to seven weeks it is not murder

P.S.tobodai your approach on the matter was very interesting

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 06:14
Originally posted by Komnenos

Originally posted by Spartakus

Abortion is a democratical right for women.

Agreed!

But when a nation or country faces the problem of low birthrate,in red degree,then it shoud be under special conditons or prohibited.

Not agreed! Are you saying that in the case of a low or negative birthrate, women should be forced to breed. What happened to their democratic rights then? Temporary disbanded?
And what about men? Should Condoms and any other form of birthcontrol that men could practise, also be prohibited?
Explain!
Nobody is forcing anyone to breed.By prohibiting abortion it does not mean that you force them to breed.They will make as many children as they like.Condoms and other protective means should  not be prohibited.But abortion,if the birthrate is VERY low,yes should be prohibited.But ONLY abortion.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 06:30

What i know is that everyone must be responsible of his/her actions. Immaturity and irresponsibility are the main reasons for undesirable pregnacies. With the irresponsibility of some persons, mostly young, they are bringing to life a uncertain life. A life which is being hovered from the decision of his/her immature parents.

And they are coming afterwards not to can bear up the "weight" of a human life, which is their own creation and finally they are consenting to the murder of it.

But again it isnt that easy to accuse them so easily since i admit there are always missfortunes. A broken condomn, a pill who didnt worked and many more. But in the end we must all be responsible of our actions.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 07:24

means should  not be prohibited.But abortion,if the birthrate is VERY low,yes should be prohibited.But ONLY abortion.

yes it could be but my girlfriend's-friend got prgegnant(18),and she got an abortion.Now in turkey if we had a very low birthrate her life would have been ruined.

you should never ban choices of people.If they choose not to be rabbits,it's their choice.

I think you should only make abortion up to seven weeks time.

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 11:49
Hi, JanusRook,

Before I get into the argument, I want to tell you that what follows is only about the argument. I personally like and respect you.

Let me tackle first my definition of life. You disagree with it by saying that any cell that shares human genome code should be considered human.

According to your definition, we should consider chimps humans, since they share 98% of their genetic code with humans. If fact, most mammals share a high percentage of genetic material with us, so they should have the same humanity that we give to living human beings.

In fact, we share genetic material with fungi. Should they too be granted humanity?

Obviously your argument is weak. Let me strengthen it. Any cell that can be identified as human should be granted human status. This definition also runs into problems. After all, hair, skin, and nails have human genome, yet, by themselves, they are not human. They are just a cluster of human cells. Notice how the key word here is cells. No one will confuse my nail clippings with a human being.

Let me make it even stronger. I think that you are specifically talking about the conceptus cell. Only those cells that can eventually result in the creation of a full human are human.

Now that we have defined what you mean by your definition, it is time to examine it.

Part of the food that I eat will eventually become part of my body. In this manner, it is becoming human. However, I dont grant humanity to the hotdog that I have on my hand. The hotdog cells will eventually become part of a human organism, but they are not by themselves human.

We can all identify humans on the street. We can all identify human babies. We can even identify human fetuses after a certain point. But most of us cannot identify a human embryo. If we can identify it is because we either studied enough biology to tell or because someone told us so.

We cannot interact with a cell the same way that we interact with a human. We can interact with children, we can interact with babies, we can interact with fetuses, but we cannot interact with a lump of cells.

Also, what defines us as humans is our ability to think and communicate our thinking to other beings. If we do not have a brain, we cannot think, thus we are not human. A cluster of cells lacks a brain, lacks thinking, so it lacks humanity too.

But once again, it is the ethical scenario that to me makes the whole difference.

Again, would you rescue a living human being or a petri dish if there were a fire in a fertility clinic and you could only rescue one?

I repeat again, the above argument is focusing just on the ideas.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 11:57
Scientifically yes its a living human and thus legally killing it is murder. But who cares? Murder is a significant part of the human existence, and sometimes it is better to kill than not to kill. Studies have shown abrotion legalization directly coorelates with dropping US crime rates.

So are sperm cells, of which thousands die every day, considered living?
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 12:00
Originally posted by aknc

yes it could be but my girlfriend's-friend got prgegnant(18),and she got an abortion.Now in turkey if we had a very low birthrate her life would have been ruined.

you should never ban choices of people.If they choose not to be rabbits,it's their choice.

I think you should only make abortion up to seven weeks time.

Some times,in order to avoid a harsh situation you have to take harsh measures.Still,as i've said in my previous response,when a state has a very big problem of low birthrate another option is to permit abortion but only under special conditions.
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 12:30

I've never really understood the mentality of US conservative abortionists. Abortion's a crime but a bomb from a US plane landing on a school or hospital is justified.

I couldnt agree more...

Abortion is the natural life of women.

Com'on, so a woman does something wrong and becomes regretful about it, and she agrees her baby to pay this gult's price for her. Dont you realize how selfish it is? Of course, not in cases of rape and irregular babies.

How do you identify a murder? Is it just killing a person with regular mental and physical abilities? So we just kill defected people according to this mentality. Murder is murder, no matter it is only an embrio or a new born baby.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 12:38
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Com'on, so a woman does something wrong and becomes regretful about it, and she agrees her baby to pay this gult's price for her. Dont you realize how selfish it is? Of course, not in cases of rape and irregular babies.

I've never said that.Look again my answers carefully. 
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 12:40
I said that abortion is a "democratical right" for women.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 12:42

Yeah, sorry, but it is the same thing, you claim it is a democratical right for women.

So what about the democratic rights of babies?

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 13:01
No,it is not the same.Moreover,the mother is the one who will judge whether she can grow up a baby,if she can give him a proper and descent life,a good future or not.She will decide not the state.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 14:39

Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

So are sperm cells, of which thousands die every day, considered living?

no, because sperms do not become babies, they only do when they come into contact with the female equivalent of it. equally, you will not kill a chicken by eating hens eggs, because the eggs were not in contact with sperms.

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 15:15

I've never really understood the mentality of US conservative abortionists. Abortion's a crime but a bomb from a US plane landing on a school or hospital is justified.

I couldnt agree more...

How do you identify a murder? Is it just killing a person with regular mental and physical abilities? So we just kill defected people according to this mentality. Murder is murder, no matter it is only an embrio or a new born baby.

on your logic we should not be eating meat

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 15:19

Yeah, sorry, but it is the same thing, you claim it is a democratical right for women.

So what about the democratic rights of babies?

Oguzoglu,the best way you can stop abortion is by shrinking the time to like 6 weeks(can't be exact)

n seven weeks the baby has heartbeat,so that is as good as you will achieve

It is unthinkable to ban abortion

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 16:38

Let me tackle first my definition of life. You disagree with it by saying that any cell that shares human genome code should be considered human.

I never said that Hugo, in fact because of that very arguement I was very leery about saying that. What I did say was....

I define it as an organism that shares the genetic structure of human beings. I believe that means that a zygote, embryo, fetus are human.

Therefore sperm cells, egg cells, hair cells, skin cells are not human, but when a sperm cell and an egg cell combines into a zygote then it is human, its been a while since microbiology, but I believe humanity would occur somewhere around (meiosis?).

I think that you are specifically talking about the conceptus cell. Only those cells that can eventually result in the creation of a full human are human.

Yes exactly.

Part of the food that I eat will eventually become part of my body. In this manner, it is becoming human. However, I dont grant humanity to the hotdog that I have on my hand. The hotdog cells will eventually become part of a human organism, but they are not by themselves human.

Technically the food you eat will become part of your body, but it will not become a living cell, at least not directly, it will be reprocessed and repackaged until its most basic compounds are refitted into your human body.

However hot dogs do not become human the same way zygotes become human, if you put a hot dog into a womb it will not grow into a human nor a hog nor another hot dog. However if you put a zygote in a womb it will grow into a human.

We can all identify humans on the street. We can all identify human babies. We can even identify human fetuses after a certain point. But most of us cannot identify a human embryo. If we can identify it is because we either studied enough biology to tell or because someone told us so.

Looks are not only what defines humans, are people with horrific deformities not human, it is our genetic framework that determines humanity, in the sense that a cell on its own, given the proper environment, can grow into a human being. 

We cannot interact with a cell the same way that we interact with a human. We can interact with children, we can interact with babies, we can interact with fetuses, but we cannot interact with a lump of cells.

So you prescribe to a belief in "You must be this tall to be human"?

We can most definetally interact with a lump of cells, if we could not than abortion could not be possible. Do you define it as being able to hold a human, well you most definetally can hold cells, even though you can't see or feel them, or does their small stature make them not human?

Also, what defines us as humans is our ability to think and communicate our thinking to other beings. If we do not have a brain, we cannot think, thus we are not human. A cluster of cells lacks a brain, lacks thinking, so it lacks humanity too.

So people who are braindead are not human, people with severe autism are not human. Or do you mean just without a brain. Many different organisms at the single-cell level show learning and conditioned responses to stimuli. Is this not thinking, do you not believe that chemicals released by the zygote do not interact with the mother that it is dwelling inside. Now of course it cannot read poetry or ride a bike or express love just yet, but neither can a newborn, the zygote is just limited in its physical nature, in a short period of time it will develop its first specialized nerve cells. That's all our brains are, stem cells that have become specialized to store information and process stimuli.

Again, would you rescue a living human being or a petri dish if there were a fire in a fertility clinic and you could only rescue one?

Of course I would rescue the living human, but that does not make the embryo any less human. To illustrate this I'll give you a scenario:

If a building was on fire and there was a newborn baby and an 16 year old girl and you could only save one, which would you save? Is the other one any less human?

Also, Hugo I too respect and like you, even though we have a difference of opinion. I do not believe I can, nor do I wish to change your mind, only clarify my own beliefs on the issue. Which you as always are helping me do.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 17:10
How is killing a person, taking away their right to live, NOT murder?  I think it is absolute insanity to think it is not murder!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 17:11
Originally posted by Thegeneral

How is killing a person, taking away their right to live, NOT murder?

True. But the discussion is whether a fetus is a person or not.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 18:48

In the roman law even phoetus had some civil rights and could have even had protector who in latin was called "curator ventris"(protector of stomach). Unborn child - nasciturus - had conditionary legal personality. The condition was to be born alive.

"nasciturus pro iam nato habetur, quotiens de commodis eius agitur"

It is hard for me to translate it into english but it moreless mean:

"unborn child is considered being born, as far as it concerns his profits"

Most of the systems of civil law in continental Europe, which are in majority based on the old institutions of roman law still have the institution of nasciturus.

And in the same time women have "democratic" right to abortion.

So, consider such example:

Woman gets pregnat but her husband is being killed in car crash. Unborn child - nasciturus - will get half of the monay after his father - under condition that will be born. So the mother makes abortion and gets whole inheritance after her husband. Whats the difference between this abortion and murder for monay.

Most of people think about us lawyers rather bad things. But consider the fact that for 2000 years we stay on the guard of life and we try to protect even the interests of unborn whom you dont even consider "human".

Edited by Mosquito
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>