Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Abortion: is it murder?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Poll Question: What i,s abortion to your point of view?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
67 [49.63%]
68 [50.37%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abortion: is it murder?
    Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 11:47
Originally posted by Infidel

What seems to happen to those who are in favour of abortion is that the baby is always forgotten.

What baby? We are talking about a bunch of cells with no similitude to any kind of anything. It's just a proto-something: while the seed and the tree are related, the seed is not yet the tree. Same for humans: abortion is just like not sowing (or unsowing) the seed.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 12:08
Originally posted by Maju

Originally posted by O_Condestvel

I think an interesting sub-theme has emerged on this forum: when does life begin and what are your criteria? Can you call a sperm cell life? Does life start at fecundation? Does it begin with the formation of the main life systems (circulatory, nervous)? What is your opinion?

Life exists always. All cells are alive and all human cells are human (have the human genetic code in them).

The problem is not when life starts or if destroying any kind of life is ethically questionable, else we would not be able to eat or practice surgery of any sort. The problem is when do we consider a human being as such. It is obvious that an amorphous bunch of embryonic cells is not any human being, whatever some think about it, the same that sperm cells aren't.

I get your point, but in the case were discussion (abortion), whats at stake is human life. In which case, my question is, when does a bunch of cells become a human being? At fecundation, 4 weeks, 8 weeks, birth? I must say that it is from the 8th/9th  week on that almost all of the systems are present, in particular the brain. Does that count as the beginnig of life?

Im insisting on this matter as it seems crucial to the theme of abortion. If I could sum in one or two phrases the values of the pro-abortion vs. anti-abortion it would sound somehing like this:

1) pro-abortion tend to consider the rights of the one who carry the babies (the mothers) as more important than the baby/fetus/embryos

2) anti-abortion tend to value more the rights of the baby, considering them more important the right to self-determination/ freedom of choice.

The main question here is whether you value more one or the other position more and in which conditions.

I would like to hear your opinions on these 2 very extreme examples that follow:
Situation 1: lets imagine that it is posible to determine if someone is pregnant the day fecundation occurs (the begginnig of human life to some people): would the anti-abortion "faction" consider destroying the egg in its first day of "life" simply because the pregnancys timing is bad? Or would that be wrong to you?

Situation 2:  lets imagine that abortion is posible in any case, at any age of the development of the baby/embryo. In this case, the mother decides to have an abortion at 7/8 months pf pregnancy (at which stage the baby can survive outside the mothers womb). Would the pro- abortion "faction" agree that this mother should have the choice to abort?

Im curious about your answers...

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 15:10

Mr. Chavez,

I'm getting tired of repeating myself ad nauseam. You obviously consider adoption some evil means for the rich to exploit the poor. You just can't get over that leftish agenda. I'm sorry but I feel you're just getting out of touch with reality.

Adoption is a means for babies who can't have a family to support them to have a (decent) life. Obviously you think that theses babies shouldn't be born at all. It is a matter of different values, I see.

Other misconception you've been insisting on is that I somewhat promote women to have babies against their will. That is not the point. I defend family planning, as I said before, I defend the use of contraceptive methods. But if there is the case where an unwanted pregancy occurs and the family can't support the child, I believe that this child should have the right to live, and thus being sent to an adoption center, whereas you believe this child should be deprived of life.

You claim my solution is unnatural. I regard killing infants more unnatural. Giving up a baby certainly is very hard, but not giving him/her a chance to live in the first place seems clearly unfair to me.

As for social solidarity and state support, I think there is much room to improve and I want it to improve so that those families who can't afford to have their own kids, can do so. I stated this many times before in my posts but you kept ignoring them. So your accusations that I don't care for the babies are continously contradictory to what I've been saying all along.

I hope this is sufficiently clear for you, once and for all.

Regards

Infidel,

As I predicted, your main argument is based on ad hominem attacks. Do I scare you so much that you can't present your arguments without attacking me as a person first? I guess I do.

Your ideology makes you blind of how horrible forcing women to give up their babies is.

And this is what our discussion has really shown: no matter how many times we explain to you the situation, how many times we try to reason with you about the realities of unwanted pregnancies and forcing the poor to give up their babbies to strangers, you never will admit it.

It seems that you not only dodge arguments, but you also dodge reality.

Furthermore, I think that I have shown you as a hypocrite. The idea that you should be force to support the "babies" that you have "saved" offended you.

Yet this is what you are forcing women to do. That of give up their children to strangers.

Again, here is another case where you are being hypocritical. You said:
Other misconception you've been insisting on is that I somewhat promote women to have babies against their will. That is not the point.

Yet a few sentences later, you again state your position that women, once pregnant, should be forced to have them. If they cannot afford them, poor mothers should give their baby away.

But if there is the case where an unwanted pregancy occurs and the family can't support the child, I believe that this child should have the right to live, and thus being sent to an adoption center, whereas you believe this child should be deprived of life.

Spin whatever way you want, this is what you stand for: forcing women to have unwanted children, and if they can't afford it, have the mothers give away their babies to strangers.

Interestingly enough, when you were listing a solution, you forgot to include the one that I offered.

It seems that you want to dodge the financial responsibility for the babies that you want to force women to have too.

Since you don't care enough about the babies to actually support them with their mother, there must be something else that makes you have this position.

I have asked you to tell us your real motivation for being against abortion, but you keep dodging the question.

Why don't you do it?

Once you come clean about your real motivations, and accept how horrible your solutions are, I will then debate with you why a conceptus is not a human.
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 19:05

Originally posted by hugoestr

As I predicted, your main argument is based on ad hominem attacks

Well, or you just fail to understand a written text or you just read what you want. Anyway, for the last time: Adoption is better than abortion. That has been my point all along, in case you haven't understood it.

Your ideology makes you blind of how horrible forcing women to give up their babies is.

I never said it was easy. But killing their unborn children seems far more horrible and unfair to me. You keep forgetting the child.

(...)and forcing the poor to give up their babbies to strangers, you never will admit it.

So now you have changed your speech. Now the whealthy have become just strangers. That is an improvement! 

Furthermore, I think that I have shown you as a hypocrite. The idea that you should be force to support the "babies" that you have "saved" offended you.

No offense, but it seems to me that you're showing continuous lack of capacity to understand a written text. Or you just simply ignore the fact that I have already explained my views about social solidarity and the need to for it to be more effective.

Yet a few sentences later, you again state your position that women, once pregnant, should be forced to have them. If they cannot afford them, poor mothers should give their baby away.

Exactly. Adoption over abortion. It is a matter of values as I have stated many times before.

Spin whatever way you want, this is what you stand for: forcing women to have unwanted children, and if they can't afford it, have the mothers give away their babies to strangers.

Idem 

I have asked you to tell us your real motivation for being against abortion, but you keep dodging the question.

You must be kidding, right? 

An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 19:45

I think this topic has been covered to death now to be honest, I think the only potential future of this topic is repetition of previously made points resulting in petty arguments.

The poll is 50-50 at the moment perfect time to end this debate here?

Edited by Heraclius
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 19:49

at last the poll is 50-50...

I am agree with heraclius.....

Each of us had made our point ...

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 22:46

Originally posted by hugoestr

As I predicted, your main argument is based on ad hominem attacks

Well, or you just fail to understand a written text or you just read what you want. Anyway, for the last time: Adoption is better than abortion. That has been my point all along, in case you haven't understood it.

I never said it was easy. But killing their unborn children seems far more horrible and unfair to me. You keep forgetting the child.

(...)and forcing the poor to give up their babbies to strangers, you never will admit it.

So now you have changed your speech. Now the whealthy have become just strangers. That is an improvement!

No offense, but it seems to me that you're showing continuous lack of capacity to understand a written text. Or you just simply ignore the fact that I have already explained my views about social solidarity and the need to for it to be more effective.

Exactly. Adoption over abortion. It is a matter of values as I have stated many times before.

Idem

You must be kidding, right?

Can you ever stop the ad hominem attacks? Is it possible for you to write a post where you don't insult the other person?

And you still dodge my questions, even though you are pretending to answer them by quoting me one or two sentences at a time.

And whenever you can't honestly answer a question, you make some "clever" remark. "You must be kidding, right?" Can't you take responsibility for the full meaning, explicit and implied, meaning of your words?

So, are you going to dodge this questions again: what is your real motivation for being anti-abortion?

I have another one, why do you hate poor people so much?

Now, you bring up the issue of values. People have different values, yet your position seeks to impose those values onto other people.

You seek to impose your definition of when a personhood begins.

You seek to impose your values to force these women to bring to term the conceptus, if possible.

This attempt to force your values on other people may be malicious or not. That is why I keep asking you to tell us what your motivation is.

For the sake of argument, let's say that you really care for the lives of the future humans that the collection of cells will become.

Since you declare this group of cells a "human"--a position that I disagree with--you feel that it is wrong in principle to end the lives of these humans. And any sensible human being can see that it is much better to be alive than to be dead. I think that that is the reason why you can't see all of the negative repercusions of banning abortions.

Now tell me, is this your position or not? Do you want to force your values on other people or not?

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 22:47
Originally posted by Heraclius

I think this topic has been covered to death now to be honest, I think the only potential future of this topic is repetition of previously made points resulting in petty arguments.

The poll is 50-50 at the moment perfect time to end this debate here?

I missed your post. I will stop now
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 23:15

Honestly, I've been trying to explain my views on this subject for God-knows-how-may posts and you're still asking me what my motivations are?! That's why I stated that you must have a hard time understanding a written text! This is not an ad hominem attack, it is a conclusion I withdrew from your speech.

Now, once and for all:

I value the right of the child to live over the right of the parent to not have that child. That is why I am against abortion, in case you haven't noticed!

I don't hate poor people, don't be ridiculous. You are the only one here who seems to have some kind of agenda against the wealthy people, as you call them.

Finally, I am not imposing my values. I am exposing them. You, on the other hand, seem far more militant about yours.

Listen, if a woman gets pregnant and has no means to support her child, I believe she sould have the child anyway and give him to adoption. Though it must be terribly difficult to split a mother from her baby, it is the most fair and unselfish decision she can make. If she decides for abortion, the child won't have the chance to live in the first place.

So, hopefully drawing to a conclusion, I honestly hope that you've got it this time. Repeating the same arguments ad nauseam gets quite boring.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 09:25

Honestly, I've been trying to explain my views on this subject for God-knows-how-may posts and you're still asking me what my motivations are?! That's why I stated that you must have a hard time understanding a written text! This is not an ad hominem attack, it is a conclusion I withdrew from your speech.

Now, once and for all/P]

I value the right of the child to live over the right of the parent to not have that child. That is why I am against abortion, in case you haven't noticed!

I don't hate poor people, don't be ridiculous. You are the only one here who seems to have some kind of agenda against the wealthy people, as you call them.

Finally, I am not imposing my values. I am exposing them. You, on the other hand, seem far more militant about yours.

Listen, if a woman gets pregnant and has no means to support her child, I believe she sould have the child anyway and give him to adoption. Though it must be terribly difficult to split a mother from her baby, it is the most fair and unselfish decision she can make. If she decides for abortion, the child won't have the chance to live in the first place.

So, hopefully drawing to a conclusion, I honestly hope that you've got it this time. Repeating the same arguments ad nauseam gets quite boring.

Thanks for openly admitting, in this post, your positions. You almost got a through a whole post without ad hominem attacks this time, yet you slipped a few times. I guess it's a hard habit to break.

I understand that you value the existence of a clump of cells above anything else, because you erroneously believe that humanity begins at conception.

You still can't take responsible for the negative repercussion of your advocated policies, although you are getting there.

I keep asking you what your real motivation for being against abortion is because your posts show so little interest in the born child, the mother, and their family, even after I explain to you, again and again, how your position is anti-family.

More disturbing is how when I offered a concrete, pro-family solution to prevent abortions, you got offended by it because it required you to give up your money.

The only person here who doesn't seem to understand the content of words seems to be you. You don't even understand the repercussions of your own arguments.

You seem not to understand that if you really believe your position, it necessarily implies the imposition of your values on other people. But maybe you haven't explained yourself well. Do you actually respect other people to live by their own values?

Or maybe you are a truly callous person who lacks any type of empathy to real human beings. Yes, you can be for an abstract child that doesn't exists, but once he is living, you don't care for its well being enough to do something about it.

And I am sorry, expecting some unknown third party to have enough be gracious enough to adopt a born child is not taking responsibility for your beliefs.

So tell me, what is the case, is it that you can't understand that advocating that poor women should give their children away to welthier people is cruel to the poor, or you just hate or lack any empathy towards the poor?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 10:03
From what I understand, Infidel considers life to begin at fecundation and once that process begins, it should not be interrupted. I would like to know where do you (Hugoestr) stand as to consider a "clump of cells", life. In other words, when does life begin to you? Do you support the notion that there should be a time limit for women to abort?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 10:06

Just to confuse the issue I inadvertently clicked the wrong button. The poll is showing one too many for 'Yes it is murder' and one too few for "No".

I didn't plan to join the debate.

Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 10:56

Mr. Chavez

I don't have time for your continuous nonsense. I've explained my views over and over again. Yet, I feel you have the need to continue this argument without any real point to it. You keep talking about how I hate the poor. That's just rubbish. If you fail to understand it, I'm sorry for you. Furthermore, I have sympathy towards human beings. I value the lives both of the mother and of the phoetus. I don't care if they are poor or rich. This has been something that only you have brought about in this topic for some seamingly left-wing agenda. You think adoption is anti-family and it is cruel. I think otherwise. I've said before that we as a society should have more effective social security systems, develop a fairer economy with more active charity and solidarity towards the needy. That means to give up my money for this as a tax-contributor! Adoption homes, at least where I live, have very good conditions provided by the state. Unfortunately, poverty always exists. But that doesn't mean that they (or whomever it may be - poor, rich, tall or short!) should start aborting their children because they can't afford them or simply don't want them. It may seem all logical and pragmatic at first glance, but it is tremendously unfair for the baby.

Finally, my values rightfully oppose those of who are in favour of abortion. It is normal. Because in my view, the baby's right to live stands over the right of the parent to abort. But I'm not imposing them. I'm not saying you have to believe in them. You obviously don't. I'm just explaining them, hopefully in a simple and clear manner. Furthermore, the issue of abortion must be voted in a referendum (at least here).

I hope this settles it. Please, if you continue to pretend not to have understood my views, or you're just showing plain dishonesty or you're just too blind about your arguments and ideas. 

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 12:16

I think an interesting sub-theme has emerged on this forum: when does life begin and what are your criteria? Can you call a sperm cell life? Does life start at fecundation? Does it begin with the formation of the main life systems (circulatory, nervous)? What is your opinion?

Life exists always. All cells are alive and all human cells are human (have the human genetic code in them).

The problem is not when life starts or if destroying any kind of life is ethically questionable, else we would not be able to eat or practice surgery of any sort. The problem is when do we consider a human being as such. It is obvious that an amorphous bunch of embryonic cells is not any human being, whatever some think about it, the same that sperm cells aren't.

I get your point, but in the case were discussion (abortion), whats at stake is human life. In which case, my question is, when does a bunch of cells become a human being? At fecundation, 4 weeks, 8 weeks, birth? I must say that it is from the 8th/9th  week on that almost all of the systems are present, in particular the brain. Does that count as the beginnig of life?

The issue is debatable and can only be decided on conventional grounds, that is via social consensus. For instance it seems that the specific intelectual abilities that make a person human do not wake up until the 10th month after birth. On the other hand the vital animal organs of nervous tissue and a heart appear in the foretus after the third month, I believe. Yet no foetus is able of any autonomous life before at least the 7th month: they are totally inmature.

In any case, most abortions happen before the third month both due to legal and practical reasons. So what you are extirpating is a tiny and amorphous embryo only that has no heart and no nervous system at all. Abortive drugs as the day-after pill are also only appliable to the earliest stages of pregnancy.

Law only accepts born children as judicial persons. The "nasciturus" (at least that's how it's called in the Spanish law) or foetus is not a person but a process. Whatever rights it has are compiled under diferent regulations that the ones that apply to born children.

I think that abortion, at least in the 3 first months of pregnancy, should be totally free. It is important that a woman that doesn't want to be a mother has the choice. Later abortions are rare and normally due to very special circumstances (health reasons mostly). They could maybe have a special regulation but anyhow, I think that ultimate choice is the mother's: she is the giver of life and it is her responsability to do so freely.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 12:37

So you value more the "rights" of an inexistent person than the rights of the existing person. You prefer a bunch of cells over fully formed and sensitive human being.

I wonder if the fact that this person is a woman has something to do with your position, as I see that you insist of talking of the "parent", without gender. It's obvious that the role and the responsability of bth parents are not equal, no matter how hard we try. This is no issue of any "parent" but an issue of the mother: the one that gives life and the one who can decide not to do it (unless forced by Patriarchal spiderwebs).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 13:01

Mr. Chavez

I don't have time for your continuous nonsense. I've explained my views over and over again. Yet, I feel you have the need to continue this argument without any real point to it. You keep talking about how I hate the poor. That's just rubbish. If you fail to understand it, I'm sorry for you. Furthermore, I have sympathy towards human beings. I value the lives both of the mother and of the phoetus. I don't care if they are poor or rich. This has been something that only you have brought about in this topic for some seamingly left-wing agenda. You think adoption is anti-family and it is cruel. I think otherwise. I've said before that we as a society should have more effective social security systems, develop a fairer economy with more active charity and solidarity towards the needy. That means to give up my money for this as a tax-contributor! Adoption homes, at least where I live, have very good conditions provided by the state. Unfortunately, poverty always exists. But that doesn't mean that they (or whomever it may be - poor, rich, tall or short!) should start aborting their children because they can't afford them or simply don't want them. It may seem all logical and pragmatic at first glance, but it is tremendously unfair for the baby.

Finally, my values rightfully oppose those of who are in favour of abortion. It is normal. Because in my view, the baby's right to live stands over the right of the parent to abort. But I'm not imposing them. I'm not saying you have to believe in them. You obviously don't. I'm just explaining them, hopefully in a simple and clear manner. Furthermore, the issue of abortion must be voted in a referendum (at least here).

I hope this settles it. Please, if you continue to pretend not to have understood my views, or you're just showing plain dishonesty or you're just too blind about your arguments and ideas.

Mr. Pat Robertson,

I see that you went back to your ad homimen attacks. I guess that you can't find a valid way of debating your point against my counter-arguments. That is what happens when people try to debate using extremist right-wing talking points.

You keep dodging responsibility for the consequences of your beliefs. Either you don't have the capacity to understand them yourself, or lack compassion towards the poor.

Maybe it is the former, since your last post does display concern for the poor, and I am glad to see that.

And let me inform you that I am not advocating for poor women to abort their children. This is what they actually do. This is what they will do whether abortion is legal or not.

And I need further clarification about the statement below, because their semantic content seem to clash:

Finally, my values rightfully oppose those of who are in favour of abortion. It is normal. Because in my view, the baby's right to live stands over the right of the parent to abort. But I'm not imposing them. I'm not saying you have to believe in them.

When you said this, do you really mean the last two sentences? Do you actually not seek to impose these values on people by any means?

The answer to this question may settle this issue.

I am looking forward to it

Edited by hugoestr
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 14:23

I wonder if the fact that this person is a woman has something to do with your position, as I see that you insist of talking of the "parent", without gender.

I talked of the "parent" without gender to emphasize the fact that such issues as abortion should be discussed between the mother and the father. In my view, it's not just a mother's issue. I have nothing against women, as you are suggesting, on the contrary. I think that in so much as it takes two to make a baby, it also takes two to decide and take care of one. 

Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 14:42

Let me assure you that I am not a christian nor an evangelist. Also, I'm not a right-wing person, I don't have any political party and I sought not to bring any religious or political arguments to the issue. I made a mention about your leftish agenda because you continuously insisted on a spech of exploitation of the poor when that was not the point in discussion.

Since you appear slow in understanding what I write, I have to tell you once more that I'm not trying to impose my views on anyone. I was just explaining them. I further added on many of my posts that society should be more effective in helping the needy, something you have conveniently ignored.

I'm not a means-justify-the-end person. I said that the issue of abortion must be democraticly voted in a referendum. 

As for the ad hominem attacks, you're the only one who seems to constantly bring it up. You forget that you also called me an hypocrite and a poor hater. I just tried to approach these commentaries with some healthy irony. Perhaps it doesn't fit you. I always tried to answer your posts with the maximum correction and objectivity as possible. If you still cannot understand my views on abortion and adoption after all these posts, I think you need some serious counseling.

Regards

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 17:09
Heres a different take on the subject:

Lets get something straight. Humans, from the beginning of time, have chosen to deify their own race, putting human life above all others, justified through the dogma of world religions. We chose which forms of life are sacred (humans), and gave ourselves the right to kill all those that arent (animals, plants, bacteria, etc.). God didnt decide which forms of life are "sacred", WE DID. I dont see anyone protecting cancer cells, bacteria, plants or most animals, they are forms of life as well, and they are arguably as sacred as we are. So if we were making up the rules from day one, whats with all this talk about psuedo-morals?

Anti-abortionist argument is an ideological argument with no practicality whatsoever. Most of the essential parts of the human are not even developed in the early stages (which is when most people get abortions). At that point the embryo is like a dependent bacteria in need of a host body, meaning its not human yet, and is nothing more than an extension of the mother itself, giving the mother the right to choose. You're essentially denying people's right to get rid of a parasite. A parasite which further developed, becomes a human.

We kill other forms of life (plants + animals) because it is PRACTICAL to do so. PREVENTING (not killing)  a child from growing up in poverty and putting even more expenses on a poor household is PRACTICAL. Its okay to KILL plants and animals, but its wrong to PREVENT human life?
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
jfmff View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote jfmff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 18:37
Helo ArmenianSurvival.

Not all religions say that killing animals is ok except if they are humans. Buddhism is against killing any form of animal life.

The reason why people disagree on abortion, as O_condestavel understood, is because they disagree on a premise: "A "bunch of cells" is not a human being" vs "A "bunch of cells" is a human being". So debating "You don't understand the rights of the baby!" vs "You don't understand the rights of the mother" is pointless and a waste of time because people are comparing consequences of the premises and not the premises themselves. So the discussion should be shifted towards
"A "bunch of cells" is not a human being" vs "A "bunch of cells" is a human being". The reason why people disagree on this subject is, statisticaly speaking, because religious vs non religious reasons (statisticaly meaning that not all pro life have religious motivations and vice-versa).

This said lets begin. Two things:

1- When does a bunch of cells become a human being. In what day? In that case at what time? at what minute? at what second? Are you trying to say that before that second the bunch of cells is not a human being, but after that second it is a human being? Stablishing a limit after fecundation is ilogical so the limit can only be setled at fecundation.

2- Since it is just a bunch of cells or as said by
ArmenianSurvival a parasite, why is it such a dificult decision? its just a bunch of cells anyway...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>