Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did monarchs have days-off?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Velvet View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Velvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did monarchs have days-off?
    Posted: 27-Oct-2016 at 14:17
I wonder if ancient\medieval monarchs had days off. After all, many people involved in state governing were permanently gathered at their court and it makes sense that they'd inform the monarch once something happened (and something is always happening!), and then the monarch would have to 'work'. Or did the monarchs escape to their private castles for peaceful days-off? LOL

Incidentally, I'm really interested if modern presidents and prime ministers (in countries with fake 'monarchs') have days off, as well. Surely the government has to function each day, it can't just stop functioning for two days per week, what if a war breaks out?

Edited by Velvet - 27-Oct-2016 at 14:18
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2016 at 16:29
Yes and Yes.

Tho the term in relationship to medieval and earlier rulers was not in either vogue or usage. 'Leisure of the Monarch' would be more apt a phrase.

If you read correspondence and records from the period especially fiduciary and financial...you will see listings for expenses, involving travel and sporting..individual and collective ( ie. the king and party)... eg. tourneys-hawking-hunting-seasonal holiday visits to various areas of the country etc. etc.

It is also true that much expense was borne by those being visited and hence honored or participating. As much, if not more, than that born by royalty.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

rakovsky View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote rakovsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2016 at 17:04
Yes, I am sure that monarchs and presidents have had days off. A great example is if they get sick or had a lot of stress. George Bush went golfing sometimes for days on end.

They remain the leader of course.

--------------------------------------------------

Does this forum seem rather dead to you?
It looks like a great forum with hundreds of posts, but it looks like people are rarely posting regularly, except for a few. What is going on?
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2016 at 19:01
Originally posted by rakovsky

Yes, I am sure that monarchs and presidents have had days off. A great example is if they get sick or had a lot of stress. George Bush went golfing sometimes for days on end.

They remain the leader of course.

--------------------------------------------------

It looks like a great forum with hundreds of posts, but it looks like people are rarely posting regularly, except for a few. What is going on?

yep well that pales in significance to other forms of 'entertainment from the sexual to the bizarre..in the long recorded history of leaders from the past to the present...the list and examples are endless...aside from WJ Clinton denying sex with an intern in the WH...and questioning the definition of the same.. my favorite is Caligula's alleged efforts to nominate his favorite nag..Incitatus.. a Roman senator.

As for your quote..this place over the years..besides remaining the oldest forum on the boards..has been beset with innumerable problems. From spamming to blog trolling to ad space thieves-anti Semites-Islamist fundo wackos-'Confederate lost causers'- right wing and left wing 'idiots' espousing their radical agendas..to religious nuts of all stripes.

They come they go...most never having done a damn thing to better the effort of the community.

Don't matter..cuz in the end if the owner gets tired of it... he'll let er go as he see's fit. Till that time I don't give a damn how many are here or whether they post or not.. as long as ya/they contributing and abiding by the Coc...the numbers don't mean anything. 

Never have. It's quality not quantity I give a damn about.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Velvet View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Velvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2016 at 19:14
Thank you gals and guys! If you happen to know more, could you tell me how frequently kings had days-off? I doubt that they rested on Saturday\Sunday, like we do in the modern world. And what about presidents?

It's a shame I can't find anything on this topic online.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2016 at 19:28

Rakovsky, Facebook and other online distractions have had an impact on forums like ours.
I belong to an Anthropology forum that was once very active, 30-40 new posts per day. Now it's almost dormant.

We seem to have bursts of interest from folks like yourself. But we also get a lot of one post wonders.

If your looking for some place to hang your hat, this could be it.

Your interest in pre-history, esp. that of the Americas, coincides with my own. And you'll find that CV is well versed on the South West history.

BTW- Your post on the Megaliths is well done. Where you and I won't agree on many aspects, particularly the dating done by mainstream folks, friendly discourse is very welcome.

Edited by red clay - 27-Oct-2016 at 19:32
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
rakovsky View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote rakovsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2016 at 13:47
Originally posted by red clay

Rakovsky, Facebook and other online distractions have had an impact on forums like ours.
I belong to an Anthropology forum that was once very active, 30-40 new posts per day. Now it's almost dormant.

Clay,
It's strange. You would hope that there would be a place where people could come and talk about history (even if they use Facebook) because there are issues that come up like this. But really online there do not seem to be many forums for general history. Consider that millions of people in English speaking countries use the internet, but there could be only about a dozen general world history forums. It's strange.

Your interest in pre-history, esp. that of the Americas, coincides with my own. And you'll find that CV is well versed on the South West history.

BTW- Your post on the Megaliths is well done. Where you and I won't agree on many aspects, particularly the dating done by mainstream folks, friendly discourse is very welcome.
Thanks for your compliments.

The three sites that seem to be the most interesting are the Upton Chamber, Gungywamp, and Stonehenge USA, because they have a mix of impressive potential Amerindian and colonial structures (ie. monoliths plus chambers). And so it's hard to sort things out. I'd like to see mainstream skilled teams go in and do full analyses with peer reviewed reports, especially of the three sites. But there is hardly anything like that online.

The thing is, colonists built root cellars like these, so without a deep review, the automatic assumption one would make is that it's likely root cellars. Granted, Stonehenge USA is quite different in that we have known hoaxers, like the past owner lining up stones based on astronomical alignments that he proposed were the "correct" ones. Since it's private property, the government hasn't stepped in and brought in the needed teams. Maybe things will change with Gungywamp and the Upton Chamber, since they seem to be transitioning to public ownership and public archaeology... I don't know.

So really in these cases we can't talk about you or I disagreeing about the dating done by mainstream folks, because we haven't even really had mainstream scholars go in and date these main sites reliably or give a confident dating. We just have things like a range of estimates including charcoal from 2000 BC at Stonehenge USA. (And charcoal of course is not the wall itself).

I heard that a long time ago a report was done privately and said that Stonehenge USA was basically practically all colonial or post-colonial. But still, it seems like way too much work done and in a primitive style for it to be even from the 18th c.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2016 at 22:06
Mystery Hill has many questions, however you must first realize that the site actually extends far past the 30 acres currently owned. Early ideas were that it was built by early colonists. Those ideas went by the way when aerial surveys showed it covered almost 2 square miles. Most evidence of that is long gone, built on or plowed over.
With so many other sites much more interesting than MH or the others, don't know why you've picked those 3.
I don't automatically agree with so called "Mainstream sources" as I'm painfully familiar with the politics frequently involved. 
I've put boots on the ground so to speak at many of the sites, some not listed anywhere. My wife's  family  is all from New England. Her late uncle was known as the "dean of Maine outdoors writers". He showed me a few sites that due to their remote location were virtually untouched.  Other sites have been protected by being on Paper Co. lands. I believe Burnt Hill is one of those.

One thing stands out at the genuine sites, the stoneworking styles. MH definitely has sections that were messed with over the years. But if you study it, esp. on site, you can see differences between the old and new.
I have also heard of that so called report. The hardships endured by the colonists just staying alive make it unlikely that they would have put that much time and effort into it, for what? And that report was supposedly done by someone who wanted to build a road or something through a part of the property. Again, politics.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
rakovsky View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote rakovsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2016 at 22:05
Dear Red Clay,

You wrote: "With so many other sites much more interesting than MH or the others, don't know why you've picked those 3."

One reason is because MH is a major site in the Northeast US as far as these kinds of megalithic controversies go. Sure there are other sites like in South America and Mexico, but at least they are recognized as ancient by mainstream schoalrship and we have many artifacts to prove it. The issue with Mystery Hill is that:

1. It's local here for the Northeast USA
2. It's a controversy about its origin, and so that raises a question that is important to investigate.

Of course if you know of ancient sites that are more interesting than Mystery Hill, NH that are in Canada or in the Northeast US, feel free to let me know.

An article called Megalith Builders, Red Paint People and Algonquins claims that there was an Adena mound building culture in the US in 2500 - 500 BC. Does that sound right to you?

The article claims:
It would also presumably include the onset of the Adena mound-building period. Gladwin notices a variety of culture traits including ground-stone celts (small axheads or tomahawk heads)cordmarked pottery and useful woodlands adaptations such as birchbark canoes and snowshoes. In part the Woodlands culture was a lot like the European Mesolithic.

http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-chat/2796285/posts?page=4

One interesting fact to me is that the Algonquins, like Russians and Europeans, have R1 DNA. It seems that this DNA crossed from Siberia into North America following the ice sheet in 11,000 BC or so.

In the webpage above, there is this conversation:

I would start analyzing proto-Algonquian grammar and see if there is any solid, regular connection with linguistic substrata in Europe (Basque, Etruscan, pre-Greek, etc.). But it's pretty doubtful. I actually came to Algonquian grammar after having studied Latin, Greek, Etruscan, Osco-Umbrian etc. It's a pretty stark difference...Mediterranean languages are typically inflected, whereas Algonquian, like many American languages, is agglutinative.
~Claud

Sumerian, Sa'ami, Finish, Estonian, Hungarian ~ they are all agglutinative.... Once you know that there's a DNA sequence peculiar to the first group(s) to leave the refugia at the time of the big meltdown (14,000 years ago) it's a simple matter to look for others. That has been done ~ they are Berber, Fulbe, Sa'ami, Cherokee, Iroquois, Chippewa/Ojibway, and Yakuts.

http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-chat/2796285/posts?page=4

One could therefore guess a connection between the agglutinative style of the primitive or ancient-based languages there in Siberia and Northern Europe like Yakut and Finnish and the Algonquins who came from Siberia. Namely, at one time they had a common sharing of the same land and therefore a similar speech system. The Adena mounds include mounds in Ohio and WV.

Here is a mound from the Adena Hopewell culture. It can have a Mesoamerican influence I think that traveled up the Mississippi. Here this mound is in the form of a snake.

A Symposium on prehistoric stoneworking in the Catskills talks about
  the enormous amount of built stone structures, the mountains of stacked stones and quarried water reservoirs that run from Saugerties up through the  Paleolithic Flint Mines of Coxsackie and beyond  ...   Linda Zimmermann is author of over 30 books on anomalous subjects, her most recent is entitled “Mysterious Stone Sites in the Hudson Valley of New York and northern New Jersey”

http://hopeskillian.blogspot.com/

I welcome you to continue the discussion on the thread I made:
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36951&PID=717160

Peace.

Edited by rakovsky - 13-Nov-2016 at 22:14
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2016 at 07:52
Rakovsky, I'm not ignoring either thread and I will cert. re read this one. However I am so sick right now it's an effort to just do this. I must have picked up a flu not covered by the shot. It hit me thurs. and hasn't let up yet. The body aches only give me a limited time to sit up. I now know what it feels like to be hit by truck.

Unknown.
jackyworne View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote jackyworne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2018 at 04:55
PSD conversion plays a vital role in building a handsome WordPress based site. We have tried to give you the basic ideas to have to regard in mind when you convert any PSD to WordPress theme. Hopefully you will like it. If you liked this blog please feel free to share it with your dearest ones
 Post Reply Post Reply