Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Silver Bowl with seated ruler, from Iran or Afghan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Druzhina View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Druzhina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silver Bowl with seated ruler, from Iran or Afghan
    Posted: 26-Sep-2016 at 02:10
I first saw this Silver Bowl with seated ruler and attendants, from Iran or Afghanistan (Ghaznavid?), 11th century, State Hermitage Museum inv. S-499, St. Petersburg in a research paper, then found it on the museum's digital site. Does anyone known anything about this bowl? The lions seem to have Chinese influence.
Having a throne supported by animals is typical of Sassanid enthronement scenes. The figures wear right-over-left coats with lapels.
Similar lapels are found on a Cup with horseman, Khwarezm c.7th-8th Century, State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, a Bowl with figures in coat with lapels and hanging sleeves or shawl, 10th Century, Nishapur, Eastern Iran and on Kizil cave donor figures, in coats with lapels, Tarim Basin.

Does anyone know more about the attendants' hats?

All 3 figures have halos of a similar shape to the halo of the Khwarezm horseman. A few earlier Sasanian plates have circular halos: the Strelka dish, of Khusrau I with his Court, 6th century AD, the 'Yazdgard I Plate', a Sasanian King Hunting a Stag on foot and the 'Pereshchepina Plate', a mounted Sasanian King Hunting Mountain Sheep.
Halos also appear in the Eight Kings of the Relics Story, Maya Cave, Kizil, Tarim Basin, Cave of the Sixteen Sword Bearers, Kizil Caves, near Kucha, Tarim Basin (halos as a dark circlular outline) and on a horseman and camel-rider from Dandan-Uiliq at Khotan, Tarim Basin and others. These include a lot of Bhudist influence.
'Nimbus' can be used instead of 'halo' but I'm not sure what the plural is. I haven't noticed any halos on bowls with figures from Nishapur, Kurasan, Iran, 9th-10th centuries, Saffarid-Samanid period.

Druzhina
Plates with figures from Persia and Central Asia
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2016 at 18:53
Art perse is not my fortay...at best I'm a horrible layman and appreciate only what I uniquely 'do'. ancient is fascinating to me for other reasons than the 'beauty. matter of fact I am more interested in ancient martial music and it's use by ancient armies. Ntl below is a link to one of the best museums I've ever visited; and wandered thru the A art section.

In answer to your question use the contact sublink and see if those folks can give u more info.

http:// www.metmuseum.org/about-the-met/curatorial-departments/ancient-near-eastern-art

see: http://www.metmuseum.org/about-the-met/curatorial-departments/ancient-near-eastern-art

Edited by medenaywe - 01-Oct-2016 at 00:54
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2016 at 22:15
That's a question for an antiquarian expert in this. I don't recall seeing a convention similar. There is some symbolism in there as well. Interesting.

A further thought, Cyrus might know something about this. It's from his neck of the woods.

Edited by red clay - 30-Sep-2016 at 22:20
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply