Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chances for resurrection of the Roman empire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chances for resurrection of the Roman empire
    Posted: 28-May-2005 at 06:29

It is (in my personal opinion) very interesting matter. Many emperors of Holy Roman Empire wanted to rebulid the power of old, ancient empire.  This dream ended on Germany (of course this german empire still was called "Holy Roman Empire", and had also parts of France and Italy) But there was so many chances - during the regin of Charlemagne, or Byzantine emperor Justinian... why the popes done nothing?

What do you think - there was really chance to ressurect the Roman empire in middle ages? Even if, how it will "look"? I wait for your comments.

PS. Sorry, if my english isn't perfect.

Edited by Krl Jegomo
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 07:41
Originally posted by Krl Jegomo

What do you thing - there was really chance to ressurect the Roman empire in middle ages?

One could of course argue that there was no need to resurrect the Roman Empire during the Middle Ages, as it existed till 1453.
The Byzantine Empire understood itself as the uninterupted continuation of the "old" Roman Empire,... and, even it underwent some important changes, Christianisation and Hellinisation etc, with some right.
The Byzantines called themselves right to the end "Romaioi" and had never any doubt that the political, cultural, social etc. traditions of both Roman Republic and Empire, plus Christianity, were the foundations of their society.

It's eastern opponents, Persians, Arabs, Turks etc. agreed with that, and when Mehmet II finally conquered Constantinople he saw himself as the rightful heir of the Romans.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 11:42

One could of course argue that there was no need to resurrect the Roman Empire during the Middle Ages, as it existed till 1453.

Perhaps you're right. But I think, that many of medival monarchs had such ambition.

The Byzantine Empire understood itself as the uninterupted continuation of the "old" Roman Empire,... and, even it underwent some important changes, Christianisation and Hellinisation etc, with some right.
The Byzantines called themselves right to the end "Romaioi" and had never any doubt that the political, cultural, social etc. traditions of both Roman Republic and Empire, plus Christianity, were the foundations of their society.

Yes, but anyway Charlemagne bacame a somebody like western emperor. There was big conflict after that - who is the truly roman emperor? Byzantine, or Holy Roman?

I heard about planned marriage of Charlemagne and daughter of Byzantine emperor - but pope stopped this marriage, because he affraid, that emperor of new empire will be too strong.

TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 11:45
Personally, had Belisarius been properly backed by Justinian he could have done his best to secure his place in the western world. Unfortunately.....
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 02:42

...I heard about planned marriage of Charlemagne and daughter of Byzantine emperor - but pope stopped this marriage, because he affraid, that emperor of new empire will be too strong.

Charlemagne ruled at the same time when there was "no Emperor" in the East, but only an Empress (Irene).  There was talk of a proposed marriage between these two.

Originally posted by Iskender Bey ALBO

Personally, had Belisarius been properly backed by Justinian he could have done his best to secure his place in the western world. Unfortunately.....

Please expand on this - are you referring to that if he had more resources (ie, troops) available early in the Italian re-conquest campaign things would have gone more smoothly in terms of re-establishing Roman control in Italy?
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 03:17

Yes, but anyway Charlemagne bacame a somebody like western emperor. There was big conflict after that - who is the truly roman emperor? Byzantine, or Holy Roman?

Charlemagne was well aware that his claims to the title "Emperor" were very weak at the least, he never called himself "Imperator Romanum", but "Imperator Romanum gubernans Imperium" (Emperor ruling the Roman Empire),a slight but signifanct difference.
C. was aware that the existing Emperor, or Empress, in Constantinople had a far more ancient and far more rightful claim to the title, and he undertook numerous attempts to secure recognition from the Byzantine Empire, one of his schemes was the proposed marriage to Eirene.
Her successor Nikephoros completely refused to grant the title to C. and only his successor Michael I made a slight concession, after the defeat by Krum, to C. when his ambassadors adressed C. as "Imperator", but not as "Imperator Romanum".
In 814 the Emperor Michael II adressed Louis I as "glorious King of the Franks and Lombards who is called their Emperor".
This rather insulting adress reflects the attitude of the Byzantines till the end of their Empire, they never regarded the HRE Emperors as equal, but as Barbarian upstarts and usurpers of a title, and saw themselves as the sole legitime heirs of the Roman Empire.
The tension between the Patriarchs of Rome and Constantinople, their struggle for supremacy, reflects the strained relationship between the two Emperors, one could argue that the Popes in Rome only invented and installed a new Emperor, as it had become imposible for them to assert any authority over the existing one.

So, the question, who was the true Roman emperor, isn't that easy to answer, from a point of international law, if it had existed as such, the Byzantine Emperor surely had the far greater rights to claim the title "Imperator Romanum" , but if one sees as the throne of the Western Empire not as extinct but as vacant, the King of Germany and Italy,who was Charlemagne in 800, had some claims on it. Politically it was probably just right to have two Christian Empires, independent and very different from each other as they were in Europe, that both stood in the tradition of the Roman Empire and thus reflect the extent of its historical impact on Europe and beyond.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 16:30
The Catholic Church is the Roman Empire. And that is a fact!
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 18:04

Originally posted by Degredado

I completely agree, but unfortunately the both of us are the only ones that know this secret!

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 18:18
Originally posted by Temujin

I completely agree, but unfortunately the both of us are the only ones that know this secret!

Wait, according to the Turks, wasn't the Eastern Orthodox Church the Roman Empire (i.e. Rum)?  To be more specific, the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Constantinople?

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 06:29
well,yeah
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 07:50

Hmmmmmm, Byzantium had a single continuous inheritance of Emperorship dating back to Augustus, not something the Franks could ever equal. The Pope arrogated the right to bestow the title with the aid of a shameless forgery (The Donation of Constantine). The move to crown C. Roman Emperor was the Pope's way of bringing into Italy a stabilising force who, or so he very much hoped, would faithfully serve him in gratitude for receiving the title. The tradition of Emperorship continued uninterrupted and in its ancient form until as late as 1461 for the Byzantines, the concept died and was resurrected in a bizarre chronology first in France and then in Germany without a great deal of consistency.

But basically the question you are asking is whether the Roman Empire could have been resurrected in its ancient territorial form. Historians often look down on Byzantium while praising the earlier Roman Empire for the territorial limitations of the two. Quite simply this is unfair, early Imperial Rome existed in a very different world from Byzantium. The fact that Byzantium managed to exist as a state as long as it did and typically maintain such high sophistication compared to its neighbours is very praiseworthy in such an unstable and violent age of history. Personally I believe that had Byzantium instituted something similar to the theme system it could have recaptured areas such as North Africa and Italy and held them. But as I said the world was very different for Byzantium compared to earlier, they no longer possessed such a massive technological and organisational advantage over their enemies as the ancient Romans and had to be more pragmatic. If you are thinking of Byzantium expanding all the way back to Britain then that is getting too ambitious, the inability of any one state to rule an area as large as the ancient Roman Empire is proven well enough by the fact that up until Napoleon no one ever managed to even come close to reigning over so many former territories.

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 10:57
Originally posted by Constantine XI

But basically the question you are asking is whether the Roman Empire could have been resurrected in its ancient territorial form. Historians often look down on Byzantium while praising the earlier Roman Empire for the territorial limitations of the two. Quite simply this is unfair, early Imperial Rome existed in a very different world from Byzantium. The fact that Byzantium managed to exist as a state as long as it did and typically maintain such high sophistication compared to its neighbours is very praiseworthy in such an unstable and violent age of history. Personally I believe that had Byzantium instituted something similar to the theme system it could have recaptured areas such as North Africa and Italy and held them. But as I said the world was very different for Byzantium compared to earlier, they no longer possessed such a massive technological and organisational advantage over their enemies as the ancient Romans and had to be more pragmatic. If you are thinking of Byzantium expanding all the way back to Britain then that is getting too ambitious, the inability of any one state to rule an area as large as the ancient Roman Empire is proven well enough by the fact that up until Napoleon no one ever managed to even come close to reigning over so many former territories.

Good observation, I agree.  However, would you consider the Pronoia system that was instituted in the late period an extension of the Theme System of the 8th century, or was Pronoia a way for the later emperors to  keep some kind of standing army in the face of a faltering economy?

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 19:20
I would say the pronoia system was an evolution of the theme system. The economy at the time was well underway to recovery, the prosperity and cultural vibrancy in later centuries attest to this. The Emperors would eventually need to harness the resources of their recovering Empire in developing a professional standing field army. In all ages a professional army is capable of being surprisingly effective against militia forces (with the themes mostly produced) simply because hardened professionals had more nerve and staying power than peasants swept from their ploughs to the horrific tests of battle. Although many sources claim Byzantines were cowards, I would argue that Byzantium in the 7th-11th centuries had a very accountant-minded and pragmatic view of management (which is exactly what they needed!). As a result they were happy to bring in the part-timer soldiers from the themes and these men were not professionals and were naturally prone to lose their nerve under harsh conditions. Of course when you have a knightly order who dedicates its entire life to the military (and little else) you have men typically more psychologically well outfitted for battle. So after all that I would have to say the Pronoia were a way of the Byzantines developing the nucleus of their armies, the professional anchor to give it greater staying power and effectiveness on the battle field.
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2005 at 09:48

While the Catholic Church is theoretically the continued Roman Empire because of its ruling seat in Rome, the Roman Empire as a political entity has not had a chance to be resurrected since the fall of Constantinople. The Byzantines actually had several chances to resurrect Rome as a political entity. Justinian tried to do it by conquest, Basil II tried to do it through marriage and politics, but all ultimately failed.

To a smaller extent, the Abbasid caliphate, having in their possession many former Roman provinces, also saw themselves as an heir to the Greco-Roman legacy.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2005 at 11:01
Originally posted by Belisarius

To a smaller extent, the Abbasid caliphate, having in their possession many former Roman provinces, also saw themselves as an heir to the Greco-Roman legacy.

Wasn't that the Ummayad Caliphate? This is not my field of expertise, but I think I recall something about the Abbasids leaning more heavily on the Persian cultural inheritance. They were also the ones who moved the seat of the caliphate from the formerly Roman city of Damascus to Baghdad, in the Persian heartland.
minchickie View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 05:37

WAS APART OF the Roman Empire. Today it is a dying legacy with little substance to even survive let alone expand.

Thank god for  Napoleon !

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 13:26

The Holy Roman Empire Napoleon encountered was a shambles, to quote somebody whos name escapes me "it was nor roman nor holy nor an empire" or something like that.

The empire after the fall of Constantinople is alive in Russia, its heritage is anyway, Moscow the third Rome continued the legacy.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 16:39
Voltaire said that, but i think he was not refering to the Holy Roman empire....
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 19:11
What else could he have been referring to then?
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 22:57
Voltaire said that, but i think he was not refering to the Holy Roman empire....

No it was toward the Holy Roman Empire, I believe the exact quote was

"The Holy Roman Empire was neither holy nor Roman nor an Empire"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>