Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On the siege of Vienna

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On the siege of Vienna
    Posted: 26-May-2005 at 16:32

I just had a heated debate with gazi,he is saying that kara mustafa paa did not lift the siege because it was necessary,the Khan of Krm betrayed the ottomanss and attacked with the other army,and that it took three days for heavily armoured,exellently eqipped cavalary to overrun the Ottoman army that stood there

I am just wondering what really happened,please participate

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2005 at 14:52

Look article written a few months ago by Arslan :

http://www.atalay.us/Vienna

What he wrote is also confimed by polish and turkish sources ( turkish sources has been issued in Poland with translation of Zygmunt Abrahamowicz and incude the chornicles of Silahdar Mehmed Aga, Hussein Hezarfenn and Djebdji Hassan Esiri and four letters of Kara Mustafa)

so :

1) Crimean Khan - Mehmed Girey have escaped from the battlefield but surly have not joined polish\german\imperial forces

2) Battle started on 12th september at 4 am (first fights of imperial dragons at Kahlenberg) and have been finished before 7 pm (at 6 pm decisive attack of polish cavalry was started)

3) Kara Mustafa didn't lift the siege and even during battle some part of ottoman army (about 20 000 soldiers)  were still in the trenches around Vienna.

Edited by TJK
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 09:49
thanks
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2005 at 09:05

Really nice was to read the part of the hussar charge... I would still like to now the numbers of the Polish cavvalry there for i have heard that it was about 8,000 but it would be hard to believe. (actually not because of Polish tactics, but still).

But Kara now lacked the Turkish bravery and smartness...

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2005 at 13:14
Polish cavalry during battle of Vienna numbered about 13,000 riders (exluding 3000 dragons). Total number of cavalry which took part in the decisive charge at 6pm was about 18 000 riders (Poles, Austrians and Germans) including 2500 winged hussars.

Edited by TJK
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2005 at 13:39

how long did the battle last?

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2005 at 14:18

In total (from fist skrimsh to the final ) about 15 hours

Edited by TJK
mark1100 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote mark1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2005 at 08:58
do u mean 1st siege of vienna(1529) or 2nd siege of vienna(1683)?

2nd siege

7th july - a turkish assaultforce arrives in vienna aerea (40.000 men)

14th july - arrival of the turkish main army (300.000men & 300 cannons)

15th july - vienna denied capitulation

15th august - polish king Jan III Sobieski starts with his army to walk  to vienna from krakow

August - karl von lothringen beats turkish forces near bisamberg, north of vienna , so polish forces can cross donau and unite with the troops of german kaiser, bavaria, saxonia and frankish-schwebish

13th september - polish force of 70.000 men beats turks near kahlenberg

25th december- the turkish general makes suicide after  his troops had to  move back to belgrad

Edited by mark1100
 Post Reply Post Reply