Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cataldo and Greek revival architecture

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cataldo and Greek revival architecture
    Posted: 02-Jun-2005 at 19:33
Working there was nice and there are a lot of cute towns nearby but Kellog is a mining district and the the soil around there has so much lead in it that there are warning signs.
I love the neo classical Greek architecture in these small towns. Wallace was famous for its brothels till recent times. Spokane has a lot of Greek revival architecture and even some Gothic. We have one of two Gothic cathedrals west of the Mississippi River. The other one is in San Fransisco.

Edited by eaglecap
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2005 at 04:21
Wow, this is one pretty church.
And the surroundings are breathtaking too.
Well, I wish there were more churches like that here too.
I can't pinpoint the style (I'm not an architecture expert) but its structure surely feels familiar.
As for the indians, this people always had a thing for the true thing - they could always tell.
CARRY NOTHING
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 22:33
Ask and you shall recieve!! It is true but the Greek revival elements are quite evident and being half Greek I focused on those features. The Coeur d' Alene Indians have their pow wow at the old mission every summer, they are still mostly Catholic.

You can see where it is from where I live in Cheney, WA.

I enjoyed working there for the natural beauty of N. Idaho.
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 21:16
Pardon my ignorance, eaglecap, but living inside Greece sometimes blinds us of how much Greece there is outside Greece.
Indeed, there is a hint of Greek architecture to this church, but there is also a strong influence of Italo-Iberian architecture which, if not closely observed, can mask the subtle Greek strokes of effect. I would love to see how it looks inside, though.
CARRY NOTHING
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 20:40
Originally posted by Menippos

I don't understrand, guys, what does have this church to do with Greece?
Or I am totally missing the point here?

Why- The influence of Hellenism on American history, architecture and culture. This old Roman Catholic Church has Greek revival architecture. The interesting part of it is it is built on a hill or an acropolis overlooking Silver Valley and it is sacred to the Coeur d' Alene Indians, like the Parthenon is to us Greeks. While I worked there I would sometimes camp on the park grounds and I felt something very sacred about the place but I also saw this old church as a connection to my Greek heritage and American as well. After my first trip to Greece I wanted to go back so bad that sometimes I would enjoy, after a hot mocha, walking around downtown Walla Walla (27,000) admiring the neo-classical architecture, it connected me back to Greece. I did return for a month in the Fall of 2001 and I hope to be back soon and stay a while.
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 17:53
I don't understrand, guys, what does have this church to do with Greece?
Or I am totally missing the point here?
CARRY NOTHING
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 14:03

only half my ancestors-

living you mean-helpful correction

remember Spartakus I am half Greek and half barbarian-
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 13:37
My Big,fat,Greek wedding:Father"When the Greeks were doing philosophy you were leaving up in the trees....."
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 01:12
I worked at the Cataldo Mission State Park in N. Idaho and I really enjoyed the neo-classical architecture of this old church. It was built under the guidance of the Catholic Fathers by the Salish Indians. I would love to see a plaque in front of this historic church explaining the history of Greek revival architecture and its roots to ancient Greece. I should contact the American Foundation for Greek Language and culture and suggest this idea and see if they are interested. The administrator of the park thought it was a great idea but it takes $$$$$. Hellenism is very much part of our culture and history and it should be preserved wherever possible.

Post Reply Post Reply