Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Egyptian Pharaohs

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Who is the greatest Egyptian Pharaoh?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [10.00%]
9 [45.00%]
4 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Egyptian Pharaohs
    Posted: 24-May-2005 at 17:19
Who is the greatest Egyptian Pharaoh?

For More Information:

http://www.touregypt.net/kings.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 17:20

If you love Ancient history please check out this great forum:

http://ancient-empires.net/forum/index.php?act=idx

Edited by Winterhaze13

-- Voltaire
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 17:28
Correction, it should read Thutmose III rather then Thutmose II. I apologize. Thutmose III is said to be the Napoleon of Egypt because he was a great military leader. 

Edited by Winterhaze13

-- Voltaire
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 17:28
I'm not sure if Akhenaton is the greatest Pharao, but I had always had a soft spot for him.
For his sheer guts to abandon thousand years of religious and cultural traditions and to install a completely new and monotheistic religion. And for the sheer futility of it all.
However, if I see one more programme on him or his charming wife Nefertiti on Discovery, I might change my mind.

Edited by Komnenos
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 13:26
Ramses II
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2005 at 04:22
Thutmose III THE GREATEST EGYPTION PHARAOH HE LED THE LIBRATION WAR AGAINST HYKSOS
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 02:06

Tough choices - how do you choose the greatest - from 3000 years?  Most well recorded - most construction - biggest empire - most famous?

Rameses II and Thutmose III are two of the best documented - doesn't necessarily mean that they were the greatest - just that they had the best press agents.

IIRC the Hyksos were finally expelled from Egypt by Amose I  (ca. 1550 - ca. 1525?)  founder of the 18th dynasty.

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 02:27
To a researched scholar Ramses II might appear overrated because he greatly embellished his exploits.  But to me thats what makes him so great.  His propoganda fooled people for mellenia and he was worshipped as a god by some Nubian tribes as late as the 19th century.  As an individual he suceeded in duping us all on his greatness, and is that not greatness in its own right?
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 16:33
I chose Ramses, but perhaps I should have chosen Psamtik. Does anyone know a thing about Psamtik. Anthing that isn't found in the encyclopedias?
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2005 at 18:30
Tutankhamun, though he is only really remembered because of the discovery of his tomb, he undid the damage that Akenaten's rule did to Egypt. Akenhaten tried to destroy thousands of years of culture and impose a monotheistic religion. When Tutankhamun came to power he restored the old religion.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 06:56
My vote went to Akhenaten. Without being religious, i admit his switching to monotheism (by raising Aten to Supreme Deity) to be one of the turningpoints in humankind history. I adhere to the theory that Akhenaten and Moses are the same person.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 22:48
I have to bring up my second favorite, Hatchupset.  In a forum dominated by men she is likely to get little attention anyway.  Hatchupset either fooled or convinced people to let her be Pharoah, some of her greatest works still stand and it was her tightening of control and finance that greatly helped her ungrateful son to have the military career he had.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 16:25
Why isn't Menes among the options? After all he created Egypt.

I voted for Hatseput, just for the sake of it, though Tuthmose III has much merit too. What I can't understand is why Tutankhamen is even among the options, just because he is mediatically famous, I guess.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 11:05
Akhenaten, Moses...
Togodumnus View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Togodumnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 19:55
Thutmose III by a mile. Ramses was a great Pharoah but Thutmoses' greatness was built on accomplishments whereas Ramses was a great seller of his image(sometimes at others expense).I also find myself intrigued about Akenaton and the possibility of his being the Pharoah of the Exodus.His sudden change to monotheism is a good subject of discussion in and of its self.To change the religion of a great empire at its zenith of power begs many questions.What was his reasoning?Was it to destroy the power of the priests?A very credible argument since the priests seems to have had control of the nation.Or was he copying the religion of another people?
History is simply the record of mankinds repeated mistakes...and fruitless efforts at redemption.
 Post Reply Post Reply