Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient Civilizations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: What is the greatest ancient civilization?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [21.15%]
18 [17.31%]
26 [25.00%]
3 [2.88%]
10 [9.62%]
8 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [2.88%]
8 [7.69%]
6 [5.77%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Itihaas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Itihaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient Civilizations
    Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 23:08
India we have given the world a vast amount of knowledge used even today.
avesta View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote avesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 03:50

Persians created the first system of satrapies (provinces) and postal systems.  They created a real administration in an empire, an actual efficient form of government, it was light years ahead of anything the world had yet seen, especially since they were the first "real" empire.  The amazing thing is that all of this was accomplished in such a large empire, spanning across most of the known world while housing inhabitants of so many different ethnicities and cultures.  The world had never witnessed such a large empire before this one.  Messages would be delivered in a matter of 1 to 2 days using the royal highways.  I even read somewhere that the King would impose a taxing system based on percentage of income of land.  The conquered lands were deemed to belong to the King himself, and therefore the inhabitants of that land would have to pay a fixed percentage of the income from the land to the King.  This would make it beneficial for the King to help improve the land, which in turn benefits himself, as well as the inhabitant.

Don't forget the fact that power was vested in the royal bloodline for appoximately 300 years.  Many later empires were unable to maintain rule for so many generations.  The achaemenid empire fascinates me...I could keep going but I wont.

Edited by avesta
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 16:10

Ancient Greek Gave rome much of its ideas, so my vote would be Greco-Roman.

Or British.

Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2005 at 10:44
India for being the oldest civilization n also the oldest continuing civilization in the world.
Jai Badri Vishal
Praetorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 23:46

Rome because:

It took us 1800 years to rediscover or remake most what the west has lost.

Some thinks like medical sciences, tools, most architecture, Coliseum, SELF OPENING DOORS, some machinery and act took 2000 years to rediscover or remake.

The Romans had access to goods from around the world, a mail system that was faster than anything before the 20th Century, very well maintained roads, unrivaled security, central heating, police and fire departments, large amounts of public entertainment, and more.

Edited by Praetorian
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
--If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar.

"game over!! man game over!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 10:30
I voted for the Greeks. Every high culture could come up with writing systems, administration , architecture or huge military, but none of those left as big as an impression on the modern world than the ideas developed in ancient greece, in terms of philosophy, democracy etc.
My favourite are still the ancient mesoamericans, though. Those weren't the greatest civilizations, but the most fascinating, imho.
Praetorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 13:08

"I voted for the Greeks. Every high culture could come up with writing systems, administration , architecture or huge military, but none of those left as big as an impression on the modern world than the ideas developed in ancient greece, in terms of philosophy, democracy etc."

True, my will be the Roman and Greeks.

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
--If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar.

"game over!! man game over!!"
MoriheiUeshiba View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote MoriheiUeshiba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 01:46

Egyptians all the way

it did survive for thousands of years they had to have done somthing right

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 23:11

Originally posted by Ahmed The Fighter

Mesopotamia the  first civilization and with graet effect

OF COURSE

MoriheiUeshiba View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote MoriheiUeshiba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 10:26
Originally posted by Rome

Rome by far is the greatest empire that ever existed because it was a military power and there is no way that the ancient mesoamerians or Egypt could compeat with Romes military power even though Rome had problems of its own. The legions of Rome may have lost battles of its own but only because of bad luck and trechery the first century A.D.

having the geatest militart power doesnt make a great civilization
the ones with less military usually are the ones with the greater civilization and are usually conquered by lesser civilizations
i voted Egypt
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 16:32
I voted for the greeks because they developed many of the sciences we use today i.e. philosophy, history as well as governmental systems and architecture.  Besides the fact that they had great influence on other civilizations; romans, middle east through successor states.  Their alphabet influenced romans through etruscans, hence their effect on the english language also.

Edited by Justinian
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 19:58
I was undecided between Rome and Athens. I love them both. Both were highly influencial in the way they have shaped our civilization. But I had to go for Greece. The intelectual heritage is just overwhelming.
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12