Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient Civilizations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What is the greatest ancient civilization?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [21.15%]
18 [17.31%]
26 [25.00%]
3 [2.88%]
10 [9.62%]
8 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [2.88%]
8 [7.69%]
6 [5.77%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient Civilizations
    Posted: 24-May-2005 at 15:24

What is the greatest ancient civilization?

Which one is the most important to the development of history?

Which one was the best in terms of culture, military power and political dominance?

Which one would you have liked to live in and why? What event would you experience? What would you do and see?

What is the defining event of ancient history?

Who are the greatest people of the ancient period and why?

Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 15:35

Hi Winterhaze,
very good poll, but every member will vote for their onw region.
Every ancient civilization was important on their own era and region.
Just an observation, on the mesoamerican area, the Mayan culture was not contemporary to the aztecs, at least not the splendorous mayan civilization that built Copan, Chichen Itza, etc.
The aztecs and the Incas were contemporary civilizations but too far away to interact or influx on the other.
The ancient mesoamerican civilizations were the Olmecs and Teotihuacans that later on influx on the Mayans, Toltecs,Zapotecs, Mixtecs and Aztecs.

Every culture developed their own writting system, calendar and social politic.
Greek's apportation to the actual socio-political is undenieable. However, the other cultures developed their own systems that allowed their convivence.

Regards
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 17:16

If you love Ancient history please check out this great forum:

http://ancient-empires.net/forum/index.php?act=idx

Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 07:01

I agree with Hueyi Tlahtoani on this one. All votes in this poll will be rather "emotional". Not necessarily for each voter's region, maybe by passion or interest aswell.

I, for one, cast my vote for Ancient Egypt. I admire all the other ancient civs, but egyptian history really touches my heart, you know...

Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 12:15
<enter you're country's name here>
Rome View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Rome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 21:51

Rome by far is the greatest empire that ever existed because it was a military power and there is no way that the ancient mesoamerians or Egypt could compeat with Romes military power even though Rome had problems of its own. The legions of Rome may have lost battles of its own but only because of bad luck and trechery the first century A.D.

Edited by Rome
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 01:00
Well, what civilization would you most want to live in? I don't think I'd like the sacrifises of the Aztecs and Mayans, or the all mighty Persian emperor..
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
AssyrianMan7 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote AssyrianMan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 01:16
I believe Mesopotamian Civilazation has had the greatest effect on the world today. They are the "cradle of civilazation". They are the onces who build the first cities, streets, water canals, postal system, farm land and so on.
Ardashir View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Ardashir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 04:23

he he!

Iranians have voted to Persian empire!

Greeks to Greece!

Italians to Roman empire!

And Assyrians to Mesopotamian!

http://khakokhoon.blogfa.com
reign View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote reign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 15:59

i vote others. The khmer empire by far is the greatest empire in southeast asia and possibly in the world in my opinion. The khmer are master stone builders, and it shows for angkor wat and the many other temples built. It's a fine example of what human can accomplish, and take into consideration that this was nearly eight centuries ago. There were no heavy machinery, although ancient archictecture didn't use it either. Moreover, Angkor Wat is geometricly constructed, as well as Bayon within Angkor Thom ( surrounding wall ), the capital when Jayavarman Vll reign. At that time, Angkors golden year, the empire streched as far as Lao, Vietnam, and Thailand. Phimai, Phnom Rung, Prasat Muang Tam can be found in Thailand and Wat phu can be found in Lao.

Satellite image of Angkor

(center left ) the smaller square with the black outline is angkor wat. The black outline is it's surrounding moat. Angkor Wat is in the center. The square above Angkor Wat is Angkor Thom which is a wall surrounding of the capital. The brown dot in the center is Bayon.

Edited by reign
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 19:13
 The greatest ancient civilization has to be Greece. It has been immensely influential on the language, politics, educational systems, philosophy, art and architecture of the modern world. Greek culture was a powerful influence in the Roman Empire, which carried a version of it to many parts of Europe.  Western civilization is founded on Greek culture. I really don't think you can compare them to anyone else.

Edited by DRAKON
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 03:17
ok, now everybody who replied above state where there originally from......see any similarities
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2005 at 10:02
Mesopotamia the  first civilization and with graet effect
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 14:22
Voted for Egyptian.
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2005 at 08:46
Phoenicians! They invented alphabet and were sailing to Equatorial Africa when the rest didn't know anything.

Imagine writing in hyeroglyphs?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2005 at 09:58
What about the HITTITES? They formed the first peace treaty of humanity, Kadesh with Egyptians. They expanded their civilization from Black Sea to Syria, from Troy to eastern Anatolia. Hail the Hittites!

Edited by Oguzoglu
Togodumnus View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Togodumnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 02:47
Rome was the military power of the ancient world,and Greece the great center of knowledge(a lot of which they acquired from the Egyptians and the civilizations of the Fertile Crescent.)Which is the foundation of Western civilization with contributions from other great nations and their heritages.A generalization of course but accurate I feel.
History is simply the record of mankinds repeated mistakes...and fruitless efforts at redemption.
TheOrcRemix View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 02:52
voted rome
True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean
Harry Potter View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Harry Potter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 10:46

Originally posted by TheOrcRemix

voted rome

me too

Macedonian swear in 1903 wars: With the blood we shed all over Macedonian fields and forests, we serve freedom, as the Macedonian army of Alexander of Macedon did, with our slogan Freedom or Death!
SJI Lasallian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote SJI Lasallian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 09:48
The Chinese were a very advanced civilisation in ancient times so i would have to vote for them...
"I adore in all things the will of God in my regard" -- Saint John Baptist De la Salle (final words)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>