Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which was the superior half of the Roman Empire?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: WHICH IS THE SUPERIOR HALF OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [22.73%]
34 [77.27%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Online Status: Offline
  Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which was the superior half of the Roman Empire?
    Posted: 24-May-2005 at 07:25
WHICH IS THE SUPERIOR HALF OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE?
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 10:09

The Eastern half was stronger but I don't know what you mean by Superior.

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 11:38

Superior:

1, Militarily

2, Economically

3, Level of Learning

etc

AAAAAAAAAA

Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 13:47

I don't think this question bares much sense...

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 13:54
Originally posted by poirot

WHICH IS THE SUPERIOR HALF OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE?

End of West Roman Empire: 476 AD
End of East Roman Empire: 1453 AD

Any more questions?
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 00:40
LOL, you took the words right out of my mouth Komnenos. East Rome proved to be far more dynamic and versatile, for most of the Middle Ages it had a way of responding to the challenges it was faced with. West Rome did not.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 07:48
Apologize for not clarifying.  What I meant was the Eastern and Western Roman Empires prior to 476 A.D.  I usually term the Eastern Roman Empire after 476 A.D. as the Byzantine Empire.
AAAAAAAAAA

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 08:27

Apologize for not clarifying. What I meant was the Eastern and Western Roman Empires prior to 476 A.D. I usually term the Eastern Roman Empire after 476 A.D. as the Byzantine Empire.

Slightly different question, same answer!
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 10:41
In the glory days of Rome, the Western Empire was the strongest. However, over an extended period of time the western part was gradually weakened, and by the time of Constantine I the scales had shifted in favour of the eastern part.

Admittedly the eastern part had always been the richest, but that doesn't really matter as during the glory days this wealth was transported back to Rome. To illustrate my point; the agriculturual capacities of the Nile delta far exceeded that of the Roman heartland, but that didn't do Egypt any good other than making it the breadbasket of the Romans.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 21:10
In the glory days of Rome, the Western Empire was the strongest. However, over an extended period of time the western part was gradually weakened, and by the time of Constantine I the scales had shifted in favour of the eastern part.

Well, the eastern Empire didn't even exist until Constantine (or, technically, after 364).
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 21:30

As Imperatore said, there was no "Eastern Empire" until the full split until the start of the end of the western one. Consatntinople was created by COnsatntine BECAUSE the west was weakening. Later on, the east also got the better slice of the bread and had the better emperors.

Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 01:19
The eastern half was the richer, the more cultured, and the more densely populated. It showed its ability to recover after a major defeat in the war against the Huns and the Germans, which was something the western half could no longer do. 
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 09:43
I would have to go with the Eastern half. They remained a cultural and formidible military force for 1000+ years. In that time the west broke into varied city states. Then they were no longer united under the western umbrella.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 09:50
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

Well, the eastern Empire didn't even exist until Constantine (or, technically, after 364).

Not in the sense of a Byzantine Empire, but what I meant was simply the eastern part. Anatolia, Egypt, the Middle-East and Greece.

As for withstanding barbarian invasions, the West certainly bore the brunt of the German tribes.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 13:32

Byzantium of course!

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 14:47
Originally posted by Reginmund

As for withstanding barbarian invasions, the West certainly bore the brunt of the German tribes.

Not true. The east suffered the same, if not more. In addition to the invasions of the Balkans by the Goths, the east took the brunt of the Hun invasion. The east also had to deal with a real empire in the Sassanids who were at war with them almost continuously.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2005 at 12:39

Easy way to answer the question. If the best W. Roman military unit met the best E. Roman unit, who'd win.

E.g. if J. Caesar's 10th Legion and Gallic auxilliary cavalry ever met Belisarius' 5,000-man unit which retook rome from the Ostrogoths whou would win? I'd bet on Belisarius' 5000, even if the 10th and auxilliaries would have a slight numerical advantage.

E. Roman cataphracts would pepper the old legionaries with arrows all day, then ride them down with their lances.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2005 at 13:42
Originally posted by Belisarius

Not true. The east suffered the same, if not more. In addition to the invasions of the Balkans by the Goths, the east took the brunt of the Hun invasion. The east also had to deal with a real empire in the Sassanids who were at war with them almost continuously.

Oh, but it is true, the West did bear the brunt of the German tribes. Now wether it bore the brunt of barbarian invasions in total, that's another matter. Not counting the Sassanids, they were hardly barbarians.
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 02:30

Apologize for not clarifying.  What I meant was the Eastern and Western Roman Empires prior to 476 A.D.  I usually term the Eastern Roman Empire after 476 A.D. as the Byzantine Empire.

Which itself (the term Byzantine) is a misnomer....   It was renamed mainly because influential historians of a particular age didn't think the Empire of Constantinople deserved the title "Roman"..
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 02:38
The Eastern half included Egypt, and Egypt fed the empire.  Trade with the east was also more profitable, and the east survived longer even though its enemies were on the whole more formidable than those in the west, I mean cmon, what in the west compared to Parthian and Sassanid Iran? Yet the east pulled through.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>