Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who were the Picts and who were the Celts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who were the Picts and who were the Celts?
    Posted: 24-May-2005 at 01:28
I have studied both of these ancient cultures and I consider the Celts as part of my ancestry. Who were these illiterate and uncouth barbarians? Were they developing a proto civilization before the Romans invaded Gaul?
Were the Picts a branch of the Celts or were they a pre Indo European left over?
What was the purpose of the Pictish symbol stones? I should dig up the paper I did for a class at The Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 01:42
Who were these illiterate and uncouth barbarians?

Celts technicly were a wide group of people ranging from Turkey to Ireland and almost everywhere inbetween. Most people assiciate the Celts with the Ancient Britons, but the oldest Celtic archeological findings are in Central Europe, those wet and windy islands were one of the last places to see Celtic culture take root.

Were they developing a proto civilization before the Romans invaded Gaul?

I'd say they were well past developing a proto-civlisation, they had a few small cities, which is the main critera.

Were the Picts a branch of the Celts or were they a pre Indo European left over?

The Picts are iffy, in the past, it was assumed that they were just another Celtic people, seeing as all the other Ancient Britons were. Not much is known about the Pictish language, other than Roman accounts, and the fact that the Picts did make limited use of the Ogham script (which probably led people to believe that they were Celtic), but there is a growing following of people who think that the Picts were a leftover from Britian's pre-Celtic days, possible even Pre-Indo-European.
Arrrgh!!"
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 01:52
I have a book titled "Celtic World." It is about as big as a phone book- but the opinions about these ancient people come from a wide range of experts; historians, anthropologist, and archaeologist. I have been wanting to read to his volume for a while, someday!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply