Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

U.S.’s New Cold War

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U.S.’s New Cold War
    Posted: 23-May-2005 at 16:12
The Cold War between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. ended up being a resource-consumption race. Both powers kept plunging their money and natural resources into building more and better weapons. Eventually, the economy of the U.S.S.R. crumbled before the U.S.

The U.S. enjoyed almost a decade of prosperity after the Cold War ended, in part because the nation had to buy spend less money on the war machine.

After 9-11, the Bush administration mounted a war on terror, which was patterned after the Cold War. Regardless of Bush's true intentions into invading Iraq, the fact is that this is a costly war that has made, once again, the U.S. economically vulnerable.

One can justify the Cold War expenses because there was a visible enemy country. Defense spending had a direct impact on securing the country. I can hardly imagine a justification of today's war on terror expense because fighting in Iraq doesn't make the U.S. more secure.

I listened on the radio how Rumsfeld wants to close bases. Many U.S. communities depend on the military to survive. Closing these bases will probably destroy the economy of these towns.

Rumsfeld was arguing in favor of the closings by saying that in 20 years, the country was going to save 20 billion dollars.

I thought about how each "emergency" budget bill for Iraq costs us between 60 to 80 billion dollars for another six to ten months of war.

In other words, the administration is choosing to destroy the economic well-being of dozens of American towns with the money that would sustain them for 20 years for a war which no one really knows know why we are fighting it for.

I believe that the U.S. is in fact living through another Cold War economy with the key difference that there is no rival country. Without a rival country's economic destruction to signal the end of hostilities, the U.S. will probably go on and on until it spends itself into oblivion.

Please comment.
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 16:20
Well, we also increased our defence budget to high level. I don't think the USA are starting a new cold war, who will it be with? China? The USA and China are bound economicaly unlike the USA and USSR were. Making a weapon run with them would be meaningless because no side could really attack the other one anyway.
Vae victis!
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 16:43

I really do not understand the closing of bases. Maybe too much disability pay towards those cashing in on military service via the Veterans Affairs is hurting the budget. Looks like we try to save a buck in order to cash in on financially corrupt foreign policies.

We will always have a rival country or rival 'something'. Without one we have no justification of dominance to lay on the 'masses'. We need an enemy, real or otherwise, to further lay claim for our economic web of well being. I also think that we have already lost focus on labor issues. Economic mergers and takeovers are a source of motivation for survival. The weakened labor unions are further proof that we care more about the bottom line than we do about our foundation. The foundation of successfull middleclass business. Giant corporations are turning more to offshhore services, and foreign labor. US corporations will milk this cow as long as porfits are provided. For whom they provide is another question. 

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 21:36
Originally posted by Exarchus

<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
     SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
     SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->Well,
we also increased our defence budget to high level. I don't think the
USA are starting a new cold war, who will it be with? China? The USA
and China are bound economicaly unlike the USA and USSR were. Making a
weapon run with them would be meaningless because no side could really
attack the other one anyway.

My point is that the U.S. is spending in defense the same way as it did during the Cold War, but that there isn't any enemy nation. Since there is no enemy to go bankrupt before the U.S., there is no clear victory. And because there is no clear victory, the U.S. can conceivably spend its way into bankruptcy, just as the U.S.S.R. did.

The U.S. may fall, not defeated in battle, but by unsustainable economics.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 07:04

The US will never be defeated by a foreign threat, it will crumple through its own incompitence and obsolecense.  There needs to be an enemy to justify such spending, there needs to be such spending to justify lobbyists, and so on...

Old Ike warned us about this, but we didnt listen...This is why Iraq, then Iran, then North Korea will be threats, even though none of them have th epower to even remotely harm us.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply