Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Photos/Pics of National Heroes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photos/Pics of National Heroes
    Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 18:45
Just a few of Armenia's heroes:

St. Vartan Mamikonian. General of Armenian Army who, in 451 A.D., fought against the Zoroastrian Persian Army who were trying to convert Armenians to Zoroastrianism. He was killed in the battle of Avarayr in 451, and the war went on for 33 years. In the end, the original 300,000 Persian forces retreated from Armenia and granted them religious freedom. Our greatest victory against the mighty Persian empire belongs to the bravery of St. Vartan Mamikonian.

General Andranik, who led the Armenian defense against Ottoman forces during the WWI genocide.

Monte Melkonian. Born in Fresno,California, and volunteered to fight the Azeris in Karabagh during the war. He rose to the status of general and comandeered the Armenian forces to victory in numerous battles, eventually winning the war.

Tigranes the Great. Ruled from 95-55 B.C. Created the only Armenian Empire in history. After Mithridates of Pontus was defeated by the Romans, Tigranes won victories against Rome and gave Mithridates his Kingdom back. He was eventually defeated in 65 B.C. by the dual attack of Pompey from the west and the Persians to the east.

The great Andre Agassi:

Singer Cher Sarkissian:

Current world chess champion Gary Kasparov (Kasparian):

Pullitzer Prize winning author William Saroyan. Considered to be one of the 5 greatest American writers of all time.

Rock band System of a Down. Their self-titled first album went platinum. Their second album Toxicity went 5 times platinum. Their third album Steal This Album! went platinum. Their new album Mezmerize, which came out on May 17th, debuted at #1 on the billboard charts and went platinum its first week. They push for recognition of the Armenian genocide by making it aware to the public, and have also helped raise hundreds of thousands of dollars to various human rights organizations, most of which are non-Armenian.Their music has been branded "thinking-man's metal".

Many more Armenian heroes. Ill post more later.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
GENERAL PARMENION View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote GENERAL PARMENION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 07:41
Originally posted by Komnenos

[QUOTE=GENERAL PARMENION]

CONSTANTINOS PALEOLOGOS , LAST GREEK EMPEROR

I like this chap as well, and I think he deserves better than those kitschy childrens' book illustrations above: 

Those pictures are called....ART !!

Edited by GENERAL PARMENION
"There is no doubt, that Macedonians were Greeks."
(Robin Lane Fox "Historian-Author" In Interview with newspaper TO BHMA)

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 17:01
Originally posted by GENERAL PARMENION

Originally posted by Komnenos

[QUOTE=GENERAL PARMENION]

CONSTANTINOS PALEOLOGOS , LAST GREEK EMPEROR

I like this chap as well, and I think he deserves better than those kitschy childrens' book illustrations above:
Those pictures are called....ART !!

Na, this is ....ART! Can you see the difference!

Josef Beuys, Der Fettstuhl ( The Fatchair )
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
GENERAL PARMENION View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote GENERAL PARMENION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 17:08
Art is rather a relavant term.
"There is no doubt, that Macedonians were Greeks."
(Robin Lane Fox "Historian-Author" In Interview with newspaper TO BHMA)

Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 21:30

i've always thought Agassi was from iran. He said his father was iranian.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 22:00
His father was an Armenian from Iran. Agassi was born in the States.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 23:22
llol ok but how is he a Armenian national hero???
its like me saying John Belushi is an Albanian national hero just because he was a good actor.

Edited by vulkan02
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2005 at 00:30
The military heroes are the real national heroes. The other ones are just great achievers and honorable mentions.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2005 at 08:23

Oguz Kaghan, or Oguz Khan, the ancestor and the savior of the Oguz Turks, and today's Turkmens, Uighurs, Azeris and Anatolian Turks...

Oguz Khan myth is shaped around the life of Hun ruler Mete, who was the ruler of between the years 209-174 BC. As in all the Turkish myths, the original form of this myth did not survive our day.Today, we have three variants of Oguz myth. The variant, inscribed in Uighur (Uygur) alphabet between 13th-16th centuries, which reflects the beliefs before Islam, is accepted to be the original form. The Persian Oguz Khan Myth, included in Cami t-Tevarih by Reshideddin, known to be written at the beginning of 16th century, represents the first Islamic variant.The third variant of the Oguz Khan myth was formed by Ebu'l-Gazi Bahadr Khan in 17th century as based on the passing on and the previous writings among Turkmen.

The Passing on of the Oguz Khan Myth Before Islam: Ay Khan had a son with a face like the sky, a mouth like the fire, with hazel-colored eyes and with hair and eyebrows more beautiful than those of the fairies. He talked after he got his first milk from his mother and he wanted raw meat, soup and wine. He grew and walked in 40 days.His feet were like the hoofs of an ox, waist like the waist of a wolf, his shoulders were that of a sable and chest that of a bear. He used to herd horse herds and he used to hunt. There was a very large forest where Oguz lived. In this forest, a very strong and large rhinoceros lived. This rhinoceros, like a monster, ate horse herds and people. Oguz was a very brave man.
  One day Oguz decided to hunt the rhinoceros. He took his pike, arrow, sword, and shield and went into the forest. He hunted a deer, tied it to a tree, and went away.When he came back as it was dawning, he saw that the rhinoceros had taken the deer. Then Oguz tied a bear, which he had hunt, by his golden belt and went. When he came back as it was dawning, he saw that the rhinoceros had also taken the bear. This time he waited under the tree. The rhinoceros came and hit Oguz's shield with his head.Oguz killed the rhinoceros by his pike. He cut its head off by his sword. He killed the light brown falcon, which was eating the intestines of the rhinoceros, by his arrow and cut its head off by his sword.
  One day it suddenly became dark as Oguz Khan was praying to God. A light came down the sky. It was brighter than the sun and the moon. In this light stood a very beautiful girl, with a beauty spot as bright as the North Star on her forehead. When the girl laughed, the god of the skies laughed, and when she cried, the god of skied also cried. Oguz loved this girl and got married to her.After days and nights, the girl gave birth to three male children. They called them Day, Moon and Star.
  One of the days when Oguz was hunting in the forest, he saw a tree in the middle of the lake. In the hollow of the tree sat a girl with eyes skier than the sky, with hair wavy as the river and with teeth like pearls. The people of earth could not stand her beauty when they saw her and said they were dying. Oguz loved this girl and married to her. After days and nights, Oguz had three sons from this girl. They named these children as Sky, Mountain and Sea.Oguz Khan gave a great feast. He had forty tables and forty seats built. They ate and drank various types of food, wines, desserts, and kumiss. After the feast, Oguz Khan told the chieftains and the people:
  After this feast, Oguz Khan sent this letter throughout the world by his envoys: "I am the khan of the Uighurs (Uygurlar) and I must be the khan of all the world. I request obedience from you. Whoever submits to my orders, I accept his presents and make him my friend. Whoever does not obey, I am enraged. I accept him my enemy. I fight against him and have him terminated."
  Altun Khan, who was on the right side then, sent many pieces of gold, silver, and precious stones to Oguz Khan and became his friend by subordinating to him. To the left of Oguz Khan was the Urum Khan with many soldiers and cities. Urum Khan did not obey to Oguz Khan. He did not accept Oguz Khan's demands again. Oguz Khan was enraged, he took his banner and mobilized against Urum Khan together with his soldiers. In 40 days, he arrived at the skirts of Ice Mountain. He had his tent built and slept silently.When it dawned, a light like the sunray entered Oguz Khan's tent. A great male wolf, with the hair and mane like the sky, came out of the light. The wold said: "O Oguz, you want to mobilize against Urum; o Oguz, I want to lead you". Then Oguz had his tent dismounted and he followed the wolf together with his army. The sky-hair and sky-mane wolf stopped at the skirts of the Black Mountain near Muren sea.
  There was a great war between the army of Urum Khan and Oguz Khan. Oguz Khan won the battle, he took the land and people of Urum Khan. Oguz Khan and his soldiers came to river Idil following the sky-hair and sky-mane wolf. Ulug Ordu Bey, one of the chieftains of Oguz Khan, made a raft from the trees in order to cross the river Itil and thus they crossed the river. As Oguz liked this discovery, he called Ulug Ordu Bey as "kipchak."
  They went on their road again following the sky-hair sky-mane wolf. The motley horse of Oguz Khan, that he had loved very much, escaped to the Ice Mountain. One of the hero chieftains of Oguz Khan climbed Ice Mountain, as he saw that Oguz Khan was in deep sorrow and he returned, having found the horse. Oguz Khan was very happy when he saw his horse and the hero chieftain covered with ice. He said: "You become the leader of the chieftains here. Let your name shall be Karluk ("Iced") forever." After some time, the sky-hair and sky-mane male wolf stopped. In this place, called the land of the Churchet, the khan of the Churchet and the people did not submit to Oguz Khan and there was a great battle. Oguz Khan beat the Khan of the Churchets and made the people submit to him.
   Oguz Khan won many places such as India, Tangut, Syria and Barkan in the south with this sky-hair and sky-mane wolf, which walked in front of his army. His enemies had sorrow and his friends were happy. He returned home with many spoils and horses.
One day, Ulug Bey, the wise vizier of Oguz Khan, dreamt of one golden bow and three silver arrows. The golden bow extended from the east to west. Three silver arrows went to the north. When Oguz Khan heard of this dream, he divided the country between his sons.

Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2005 at 13:52

so Armenians please put Tthe photos of your militarical heroes;like the leaders of ASALA.

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2005 at 14:05

General Andranik, who led the Armenian defense against Ottoman forces during the WWI genocide.

what genocide?andranik was the general of civilian troops who battled aaginst the terrible turk?

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2005 at 19:58
Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

so Armenians please put Tthe photos of your militarical heroes;like the leaders of ASALA.

This is a place to post national heroes. If you want to discuss ASALA, theres a bunch of other threads to do it in.

Originally posted by akyncy

what genocide?andranik was the general of civilian troops who battled aaginst the terrible turk?

You should know by now that Armenians and Turks have different takes on history.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2005 at 20:55

I'd don't really feel like finding all of America's heros right now, but there are a lot.

So far the only hero of a country so far that seems apropriate to me is Erwin Rommel and possibly Bismarck, but I also don't know who most of the others are.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 03:59

You should know by now that Armenians and Turks have different takes on history.

I dont think you would be very pleased if I post here tens of photos of Talat Pasha...

But dont worry, I dislike him as much as you dislike him. He caused more Turks to die and suffer than Armenians.

This thread is to post photos of national heroes, not national butchers...

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 06:34

Current world chess champion Gary Kasparov (Kasparian):

he was armenian?

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 06:36

Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

Originally posted by akyncy

yes but what you said made no sense,ow can a general lead his troops against a genocide?a pogrom maybe...

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 06:42
and armenian survival,you are historically wrong,he did not fight against the genocide,he fought against the deportation(and armenians say it also)

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 09:35
i thought kasparov was from azerbaijan
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 15:56

Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

His father was an Armenian from Iran. Agassi was born in the States.

His dad's name was Mohamad (and changed his name to Mike in America, typical Iranian American thing to do). I have never known an Armenian with an Islamic name, not in Iran not out of Iran and I had many Armenian Iranian friends, they had names like Albert and Paul.

Armenians automatically assume he is Armenian just because his dad was Christian, but he could have converted and probably did for all they know as many Iranians did at the start of last century.

He recently said that he wished he learned Persian as a child, why Persian and not Armenian?

http://www.payvand.com/news/03/dec/1094.html

I am open to him being any ethnicity but where does him being Armenian come from? Also, Assyrians seem to think he is Assyrian

Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2005 at 17:27

His father's real name was not Mohamad. It was Emmanuel. Agassi is an ethnic Armenian and Assyrian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agassi

i thought kasparov was from azerbaijan

He was born in Azerbaijan to Armenian-Jewish parentage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasparov

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>