Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Photos/Pics of National Heroes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photos/Pics of National Heroes
    Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 16:31
Originally posted by Giannis

Originally posted by ZEUS10

Bilde:%2010%20%2819%29
03-12-1946 Albania- Col. General Enver Hoxha, 36-year-old commander of the Albanian Army and Prime Minister of the People's Government, addresses a People's Congress inside liberated Albania

Is Enver Hoxha considered by Albanians a national hero today?

ENVER HOXHA WAS A BASTARD, but I posted his photo here, showing respect for a minority of people in Albania, who still consider him a hero.
My opinion is: he was a disaster, a misfortune for Albania.

Edited by ZEUS10 - 12-Aug-2007 at 18:52
QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2007 at 17:41
Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 05:48
Queen Cleopatra.Was Michael Collins killed by another fraction of the IRA for going into talks with the British and trying some sort of compromise?
Me pune,me perpjekje.
Caoimhe View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Caoimhe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 09:21
No the talks had long concluded by the time Collins was killed. The issue was over the Treaty that emerged from the Talks. This split the Government and the IRA for various reasons too complicated to go into here causing a Civil War. But there is a thread on Collins in the Modern History section if you want to discuss it further.

Edit: Thread is herehttp://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21339

Edited by Fdhla - 24-Aug-2007 at 09:23
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Caoimhe View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Caoimhe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 11:16
Another Irish National Hero

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2007 at 11:45
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 16:48

Tane Nikolov and Apostol Petkov.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 18:14
Swedish Hero, Gustav Vasa

One of my ancestors was Leutenant in his army.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
erton View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote erton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 19:28
Shkoder%20-%20Isa%20Boletini
Isa Boletini
national hero of kosova
the time is the greatest enemy of the men
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 20:46

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 20:51
Originally posted by

Who is he? Is he really Kanun Sultan Suleyman Khan? But surely, he wasnt blonde.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2007 at 14:12
Evelyn Owen, Australian creator of the finest Sub Machinegun of its time.

I recently made a digital model of an owen gun. Pictures of them in detail are very hard to find. Here's a render of my model
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/5172/giantrenderoz2.jpg

Edited by HarryZhe - 19-Dec-2007 at 14:14
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2007 at 18:32
Eirkur raui orvaldsson

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2007 at 22:24
Ned.

Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 22:23
A very well known Afghan National Hero:

The infamous...

Edited by Afghanan - 11-Jan-2008 at 22:25
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 02:36
Molla Nasrudin is popular in Afghanistan aswell?

He has got to be the most unspoke of cross-border hero in the muslim world.

I even heard that he's popular in some Arab countries.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 07:45
Originally posted by Bulldog

Molla Nasrudin is popular in Afghanistan aswell?

He has got to be the most unspoke of cross-border hero in the muslim world.

I even heard that he's popular in some Arab countries.

Not only in the muslim world, he is also popular in Greece.
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Heliocles View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Heliocles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 18:01
In Greece he is known as "Nasrudin Hotza". (We use the word "hotza" and not "mullah" for the muslim cleric.)
There are various sarcastic stories with Nasrudin in Greek folklore. Here is a quick one!

One day Nasrudin decided to invest his free time in learning some new skill. After giving it a thought he decided to learn how to play a musical instrument. So he went to find a musician tutor and when he found him he asked him:
-"How much will it cost me to teach me to play a stringed instrument?"
-"Three silver coins for the first month, and then on, one silver coin per month"
-"Ah,very nice, i would like to start my lessons the second month please!"

(http://www.paramithas.gr/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/the-wisefool.jpg/img)
I think Nusredin was a fictional figure,invented by the Soufis for didactic purposes. Once the infamous hero was...unleashed from the east,different local peoples used him for the same reason Soufis did.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 20:16

The Turks call him Nasreddin Hoca aswell, in Central Asia Nasreddin Khodja, in Eastern Turkistan Nasreddin Afandi (Efendi).

I heard in Bulgaria they also had a Christian version of him, Peter of something?

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 05:57
I remember Nasreddini's stories somewhat vaguely. I heard quite a lot of them as a child in Albania.

Is Enver Hoxha considered by Albanians a national hero today?

Nowhere near... lol, in fact, I think, since his demise, people have gone far too harsh on him. They even refused his War Hero status, which is a shame since the Partizans were the only group in Albania that fought since their inception.

Edited by Theodore Felix - 18-Jan-2008 at 05:58
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>