Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tv series:Genghis khan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tv series:Genghis khan
    Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 03:08

28episodes , an epic production. Most actors are from China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region

the armet in the above picture worth 5000 China yuan(RMB) [more than one thousand US dollar]

Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Eternal biggest enemy of Rome.
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 03:13

Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 08:25

what? a thread with pics like that with no replies???

very very cool indeed...damn dunno wether i get to see it here.....

is Temujin played by an ethnic mongol? or is he a Han?

hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 09:08
Originally posted by babyblue

what? a thread with pics like that with no replies???

very very cool indeed...damn dunno wether i get to see it here.....

is Temujin played by an ethnic mongol? or is he a Han?

Yes, he is not a Han.Most main roles are ethnic Mongols. And even the theme song of the Tv series was sung by a famous Mongolian singer.

And an other Tv series "Kublai Khan" will be produced due to the success of this one in business.

Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 11:03

Yeah I must say that I enjoyed watching this series,though they couldve done a better job with the action sequences.It includes most major battles fought until GKs death,except the Euro invasion.

Babyblue,I gathered ur from Sydney?Just goto ur local Chinese video store and ask 4 Jengis Khan by CCTV i guess most should have it in stock(think it comes in Mandarin only).Enjoy.

Edited by nyan
Snafu View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Snafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 00:20
Wish I spoke Mandarin so I could watch it. Then again if you know the story I guess you could follow along anyway, even if you don't understand the words.
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 03:39

Cool pics! I hope that t will be available in Europe soon

Though the armour and equipment look fantasy-inspired rather than historical accurate

babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 04:23
Originally posted by Mangudai

Though the armour and equipment look fantasy-inspired rather than historical accurate

mongol armour in my fantasies are far cooler than what would a historical accurate one be, aren't yours?

argh!!!! i love that pic where the deer is shot right in the eye

Edited by babyblue
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 04:28
Originally posted by nyan

Yeah I must say that I enjoyed watching this series,though they couldve done a better job with the action sequences.It includes most major battles fought until GKs death,except the Euro invasion.

Babyblue,I gathered ur from Sydney?Just goto ur local Chinese video store and ask 4 Jengis Khan by CCTV i guess most should have it in stock(think it comes in Mandarin only).Enjoy.

thank you Nyan...are you from sydney too?

by the way i found a set of this series in DVDs today when i was browsing through a shop in chinatown. i didn't buy it yet for i'm too busy with work now...so i can only watch it some god knows what other time...

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 11:07

wow, very nice pics...too bad I'm not in China anymore...when I was there I always watched this series with the manchu, it was so entertainign even though I hardly understood anything...  but the costumes were awesome and the story seemed just for my heart...unfortunately I couldn't find out what's actually the name of that show...  would also be nice to see that show here.

for the armour...well, i've bought books in Chna about historical arms and armour, and they depicted the Mongols there just as on the pics posted here...I knew Chinese and Western authors obviously don't agree in the least ont eh appearance of the Mongols...

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 13:24
Ooho, looks great, I'm sure I'll watch it when either it's Turkish-translated version is made or when I'll learn Chinese some years later
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 05:17
I think I missed something here.  CCTV is a Chinese network, right?  I went to their homepage and all I got was a bunch of meaningless symbols; I guess I don't have the right Asian font installed on my computer.

At any rate, the pictures look very good, and I look forward to seeing the series, if it is ever broadcast in America.  Maybe Bravo or A&E will show it.  Here in the US, it seems like there is a law against making a good movie about the Mongols.  In the 1960s, there was a Genghis Khan movie starring Omar Sharif with an all-white cast, including an English actor whose name escapes me (he played a badly made-up Chinese emperor).  And more recently there was the Marco Polo miniseries that was just a story of intrigue and romance--if you saw it, you wouldn't learn any history whatsoever.
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 06:12

Originally posted by Berosus

In the 1960s, there was a Genghis Khan movie starring Omar Sharif with an all-white cast, including an English actor whose name escapes me (he played a badly made-up Chinese emperor). 

Don't forget the rubbish film produced by the RKO in 1956 with John Wayne as Gengis Khan!

hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 06:57

I think I missed something here.  CCTV is a Chinese network, right?  I went to their homepage and all I got was a bunch of meaningless symbols; I guess I don't have the right Asian font installed on my computer.

At any rate, the pictures look very good, and I look forward to seeing the series, if it is ever broadcast in America.  Maybe Bravo or A&E will show it.  Here in the US, it seems like there is a law against making a good movie about the Mongols.  In the 1960s, there was a Genghis Khan movie starring Omar Sharif with an all-white cast, including an English actor whose name escapes me (he played a badly made-up Chinese emperor).  And more recently there was the Marco Polo miniseries that was just a story of intrigue and romance--if you saw it, you wouldn't learn any history whatsoever.

I recommend you download a software which can make you see the CCTV web,it also can trasfer between  different Chinese characters which used in China and Hongkong.

http://down1.tyfo.com/down/soft/pc/apply/chinese/web/file/nj win188.exe

when setup, Click the button as the above pic , and you will have many choice. Just try,you will find one choice can make see the characters.

Edited by hannibal
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 07:04
Originally posted by Noacyl

In the 1960s, there was a Genghis Khan movie starring Omar Sharif with an all-white cast, including an English actor whose name escapes me (he played a badly made-up Chinese emperor). 

Don't forget the rubbish film produced by the RKO in 1956 with John Wayne as Gengis Khan!

I was shocked by the picture. In the Tv series costumes and story were strictly produced.  In accord with history. You can see thousands of cavalries attacking on vast grassland.

Edited by hannibal
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 10:18
When caucasians play genghis khan it just didn't look right.
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 05:14
"Don't forget the rubbish film produced by the RKO in 1956 with John Wayne as Gengis Khan!"

I haven't forgotten the Genghis Wayne movie, Noacyl.  It regularly appears on lists of the ten worst movies of all time.  I just wanted to spare John Wayne's fans a bit of pain.

Now that I think about it, Sir Alec Guiness was the last big-name actor who played somebody of another race and got away with it, right?  In the 1985 Oscar-winner "A Passage to India," he was an eccentric Brahman.
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Chono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 15:30
Wow, cool pics. I especially like the actors and their hair style, although the rest looks like from Xena the warrior princess. I guess the question about mongols being able to grow beards is answered now.
TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote TMPikachu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 21:07

"Don't forget the rubbish film produced by the RKO in 1956 with John Wayne as Gengis Khan!"

I haven't forgotten the Genghis Wayne movie, Noacyl.  It regularly appears on lists of the ten worst movies of all time.  I just wanted to spare John Wayne's fans a bit of pain.

Now that I think about it, Sir Alec Guiness was the last big-name actor who played somebody of another race and got away with it, right?  In the 1985 Oscar-winner "A Passage to India," he was an eccentric Brahman.

out of the 220 some crew that shot that movie, 90 died from cancer (including John Wayne)
Why? They were shooting in Nevada. Near a nuclear weapons test site. They even hauled a few tons of radioactive dirt back to hollywood to wrap up shooting.

cliveersknell View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote cliveersknell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 23:50
Hi Hannibal
I am Clive from California USA, my wife got me this miniseries on may 2002 when she returned from China.
We watched it together, she did the translations and we enjoyed it greatly!
I got a few questions:
a. Where were the scenes involving the Khwarizimians (Shah Mohammed's people) filmed?
b. How did China assemble so many moslem actors ?
c. Where are the moslem actor from?
thanks for your help
My best regards. And thanks much for showing the pictures
I strongly recommend this miniseries
Clive
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>