Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

your countrymen who were fighting for the freedom of other people

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: your countrymen who were fighting for the freedom of other people
    Posted: 25-May-2005 at 06:14

I am somewhat sceptical towards the NKFD.  i think it was less a means to fight Hitler, than a preparation for the communist governement in whatever parts of Germany the soviet union would control.

I think there were quite a lot of german communists in the international brigades during the spanish civil war. lots of italians as well, and both germans and italians on the side of franco.

another prominent german communist in foreign service at that time was Otto Braun (not the prussian premier), who served as comintern counselor to mao zedong. mao didn't like the comintern, and complained to braun that chiang kaishek's germans (von seeckt and von falkenhausen) apparently were better than those of the comintern. nevertheless, Braun took part in the long march, and he later published a book on his experiences.

after the war, many germans fought in the french foreign legion (e.g. in algreia, or dien bien phu), but obviously not for the freedom of other peoples. some of them changed sides, though.

edit: falkenhayn->falkenhausen (falkenhayn was a general during WWI)

Edited by yan.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 08:26
Originally posted by yan.

I am somewhat sceptical towards the NKFD. i think it was less a means to fight Hitler, than a preparation for the communist governement in whatever parts of Germany the soviet union would control.

You have a valid point there. The NKFD was a mixture of true Anti-Fascists and Stalinist career opportunists like the group "Walter Ulbricht", later the first leader of the DDR.
It has been estimated that about 75% of all exiled German Communists in the SU were liquidated during Stalin's purges.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kuu-ukko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 13:56
The Finns have fought in Estonia during the Estonian Civil War on the white side (anti-communists). There weren't many of them, but their side won the war. 

Edited by Kuu-ukko
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12