Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Phoenitians or Hellens

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Homer MakeDonski View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Homer MakeDonski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phoenitians or Hellens
    Posted: 22-May-2005 at 17:49
Dear  Phallanx

I have found that your's conlusions as strange ,when you saing  is about Phoenitians are  because if we comporate follow quote from the link what is talkig about Poenitians migrations at Europe ,where it does state this:
http://www.laa.org/tours/phoenicians.htm
quote:
--------------

'Phoenician' means 'red haired'. The Phoenicians and the Carthaginians expanded all across North Africa and western Europe. They pushed past the Straits of Gibraltar and founded the city of Gades (present day Cadiz) in Spain. While active in Spain, these Phoenician/Carthaginian descendants are called 'Celtiberians' by archaeologists. Later, some sailed away from Spain and colonized the British Isles, where they are simply called 'Celts' by archaeologists. In their migrations throughout the Mediterranean, these Celts picked up a number of different languages and alphabets. These languages and writing systems were in use by different Celtic groups at different times. Memories of some of these scripts were retained up until the medieval period in Ireland. The Book of Ballymote, believed to have been composed about 1200 A.D., gives an alphabet, described as 'African'. Until recently, scholars considered that this 'African' script was some sort of cryptic monkish secret alphabet, or maybe just gibberish, but since 1960 this alphabet has been shown to be an actual ancient North African one in use about 1000 B.C." [Fell, America B.C.] - Michael Bradley, Holy Grail Across the Atlantic
-----------
quote:
what will say that people on move what had settle down and are Hellens not as you are saying  the Phoenitians
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2964&a mp;a mp;PN=2

First of all I suggest you start quoting someone that CAN translate what he reads instead of this twit

Quote:
According to the Persians best informed in history

Herodotus, doesn't say that. He clearly uses the words:

"Perseon men nun oi logioi"
 that means:
"The Persian wise men"

NO reference to best informed as you think.
Quote:
This people ,who had formely dwelt on shores of the erythraean Sea ,having migrated to the Mediterranean ....,avantures,voyages..wares of Egipt and Assyria ....They landed at many places on the coast ...now under the commonn name of Hellas .
---------------------------------------------------------- -- --------------------
This people i.e no named tribes from Erythrerian lans origin
what had got one of it's name's what they claime as their national
name of Hellens as far as they arrived at someone else space

Do you understand what you're reading??????
The "This people........... of Hellas"
has NOTHING to do with the Hellines, Herodotus is repeating what the Persian wise men told him about the origin of the Phoenicians and NOT the Hellines.

and Herodotus is talkink just,what been told by Persians  about it what is
about origin of Hellenes ,not the Phoenitians as you are saying .
It could be acceptible only that twist is over the meaning of line
"Perseon men nun oi logioi"
 that means:
"The Persian wise men"
not as Presian best informed in history

what does not make any changes to the whole story .
If Origin of the Canaanites is at supposed North Erythrerian Sea coast ,then
Origin of the Hellens  yet  should be  at the South Erythrerian Sea coast .

Edited by Homer MakeDonski
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 03:49

Originally posted by Homer MakeDonski

what does not make any changes to the whole story .
If Origin of the Canaanites is at supposed North Erythrerian Sea coast ,then
Origin of the Hellens  yet  should be  at the South Erythrerian Sea coast .

Canaanites are Semitic people, Greeks are Indoeuropean and you are a provocateur (at best, at worst you're plain stupid) !

Continue to post just to provoke and you will (very) soon be banned!

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 04:43
Didn't really look at the link you provide but anyone with basic knowledge of history will tell you that this is wrong.
If you really want info on the Phoenicians and their orgin, I suggest you do some search on the Sea People.
Do I really need to post a comment on the Phoenician origin of the Celts this, what is it "tourguide" presents??

I told you then to look up the text of Herodotus but you didn't, that is the reason you still have the misconception that he is refering to the Hellines.

Herodotus in his History 1.1 and 1.2 "
"The Persian learned men say that the Phoenicians were the cause of the dispute. These (they say) came to our seas from the sea which is called Red, and having settled in the country which they still occupy, at once began to make long voyages. Among other places to which they carried Egyptian and Assyrian merchandise, they came to Argos,

[2] which was at that time preeminent in every way among the people of what is now called Hellas. The Phoenicians came to Argos, and set out their cargo. "

http://mkatz.web.wesleyan.edu/medea_lecture/herodotus1.htm

I hope this ends your ridiculous little theory.

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Knight
Knight

Quote Homer MakeDonski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 06:53
Phallanx
What mostly makes me confused  from the source I pointed is title
"Who are Hellens ",and indeed I am  taking  very seriously  all  the suggest  and explainations you are giving  .

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 07:16

Phallanx
What mostly makes me confused  from the source I pointed is title
"Who are Hellens ",and indeed I am  taking  very seriously  all  the suggest  and explainations you are giving

Where can that title be seen?
Going through the site you gave I found nothing close to this title
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 07:18
Make, please stop with this system "copy-paste" It's boring and only proved that you don't have enough knowledge to protect your point of view!!!!
Everybody listen only this which understands.
Knight
Knight

Quote Homer MakeDonski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 07:29
 Title as  given by George Rawlinson translation's  on galileolibery

thx again
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 07:39

thx again

He has translated Herodotus' Histories, how does and most of all, where does he give any other title to it???

Where do you find this title, give me a link.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 07:54
"You can't win an argument with an idiot"... how true...

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Knight
Knight

Quote Homer MakeDonski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 08:28
Originally posted by Phallanx

thx again

He has translated Herodotus' Histories, how does and most of all, where does he give any other title to it???

Where do you find this title, give me a link.

I have found this title at this link
http://www.galileolibrary.com/ebooks/eu04/herodotus_page _3.htm

What use to be  written over there was :

Who are Hellens
Herodotus.
Book 1, Introduction and Chapter 1. titled
KLIO
Translated by George Rawlinson,

I did wrote to the web master of the site asking for some more information :
Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:37:21 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Who are the Hellens
To:mike@galileolibrary.com

Dear Mike
I hope that I am not disturbing you .
I would like that if you have a bit of available time to check out the comments what I have got from my opponents side ,when I had  posted
a topic about the Helen's origin ,in what I had grounded my view with
the evidence out of the text  about the Hellens what I found at your site .
This was their comments......

What for I got no reply at all

That was last year

When   I  visit  his site again few weeks ago , no such a mentions

Over there use to be a message board as well

Even  for  update  it  is

Grammar and spelling updated by Michael Presky, 1993.

Edited by Homer MakeDonski
Knight
Knight

Quote Homer MakeDonski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 08:35
Originally posted by Yiannis

"You can't win an argument with an idiot"... how true...

straight from the neutral zone location
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 08:41

Neutral zone, my ass! I'm choosing side, the side of logic and inteligence.

Your only contribution so far was creating impressions and provoking.

dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 16:45
Guy from Skopje, you do great job! You are going to be the next Minister Of Foreign Affairs of..."Slavo-Macedonia". Congrats!!!!!! You are so well informed!!!
Ionian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Ionian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 09:59

its bad for peoples with out history..

u have some inferiority complex i think

Post Reply Post Reply